CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

My mom and I will be disembarking from the Caribbean Princess at Cape Liberty on October 11th (Canada & New England cruise, starts from Quebec City on October 1st). Princess told us to book departure flights no earlier than 3 p.m., so I am trying to plan our flight home to Los Angeles and the port-to-airport transfer, and I would appreciate your suggestions.

Airfare from EWR to LAX seems slightly higher than JFK, but I get the impression from reading the thread that EWR would be easier to get to from the port than JFK -- is that true? Would it make a difference choosing between the two airports on a Sunday?

I am also searching for the best way to get to the airport... Princess offers transfer to LGA/JFK/EWR for $34, but I am curious if there are better (more cost-effective and still relatively stress-free) options, like the $16-per-person shuttle to EWR -- can anyone share experiences?

Thank you in advance!!

Ally

My mom and I will be disembarking from the Caribbean Princess at Cape Liberty on October 11th (Canada & New England cruise, starts from Quebec City on October 1st). Princess told us to book departure flights no earlier than 3 p.m., so I am trying to plan our flight home to Los Angeles and the port-to-airport transfer, and I would appreciate your suggestions.

Airfare from EWR to LAX seems slightly higher than JFK, but I get the impression from reading the thread that EWR would be easier to get to from the port than JFK -- is that true? Would it make a difference choosing between the two airports on a Sunday?

I am also searching for the best way to get to the airport... Princess offers transfer to LGA/JFK/EWR for $34, but I am curious if there are better (more cost-effective and still relatively stress-free) options, like the $16-per-person shuttle to EWR -- can anyone share experiences?

Thank you in advance!!

Ally

Aloha :D

Apparently, there is no easy way to get from Cape Liberty to JFK. The consensus seems to be to use a car service unless you want to take a tour that winds up at JFK and cost quite a bit more that the car service. The car service alone will cost you over $100 for the two of you to JFK (I just checked CarmelLimo for you). It's costing me about $120 for my wife and myself going from JFK to EWR before we go on our cruise. A taxi will definitely more because you are going from NY to NJ. Using the transit systems is cheaper and will take you longer and you have to manage your bags yourself and if you are not familiar with the transit systems in the area can be confusing.

So first, the consensus seems to be to fly thru EWR. The $16/person shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR is now $28.50/person according to a posting on this thread. CarmelLimo shows a fare of $47+tolls+tip. I think the toll is $1.65. I think a taxi will run you about the same as CarmelLimo.

The Princess website show that your ship docks at 7am so you should be able to catch CarmelLimo by 9:20am. Google Maps show it is a 9.2 mile, 18 minute ride from Cape Liberty to EWR on Sunday, June 28, leaving at 9:20am and arriving at EWR about 9:40am. If Princess tells you that your ship disembark time is later than 8:30am, then you can schedule a later pick-up time. If what I think is correct, a 3pm departure to LAX (you say Socal) would mean a long wait in the airport.

September will be the first time we are cruising out of Cape Liberty, or NY/NJ. The information above is derived by researching the CC message board and using the internet.

If I had found this message board before out first cruise in 2012, I would have known a lot of stuff I wish I knew before our last two cruises. I'm retired and have no hobbies, but I like to keep learning stuff so I read on the internet, and research when my wife tells me I'm going someplace so I at least have an idea what I might see. Most of the time she just tells me what I am going to see so it cuts down on my research scope. LOL! That is why I'm currently spending a lot of time on the internet lately.

Also, I just read under Cape Liberty Airport shuttles are now $28.50/pp

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

These folks have larger vehicles - no frills - no web site - good prices - talk to Abdul. Post 147 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203122&highlight=abdul

Carol has a lot of good advice for everybody on this board.

Edited by rakuroda

Considering staying at one of the Staten Island hotels that have the Bayonne cruiseport shuttle (Hilton Gardens or Hampton Inn), and wondered whether anyone has done this and then taken the Staten Island Ferry to Battery Park to catch the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry tour :confused:...timeframe is mid-September in case that makes a difference.

Considering staying at one of the Staten Island hotels that have the Bayonne cruiseport shuttle (Hilton Gardens or Hampton Inn), and wondered whether anyone has done this and then taken the Staten Island Ferry to Battery Park to catch the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Ferry tour :confused:...timeframe is mid-September in case that makes a difference.

What are your exact dates for a hotel and hotel budget? What would you pay for these hotels on Staten Island?

I'm guessing you would be staying two nights. Coming in from Arizona you probably wouldn't arrive early enough to be able to do the SOL, and it would be very tight to squeeze it in the morning of the cruise.

It's time consuming to get to the SOL from either the Newark Aiport hotels or the Staten Island hotels - at least 1+ hours from either location. The airport hotels tend to be rather isolated, but at least you have access to transportation. The Staten Island hotels are really isolated and you have to rely on the availability of the hotel shuttle to take you to the ferry. The only place you can walk to for dinner is the Hilton Garden. Folks have reported taking cabs back from the ferry instead of waiting around for the shuttle to be able to pick them up.

Don't get hung up on a hotel with a free shuttle that in reality is not free. Can you manage your luggage to be able to take the accessible light rail to Bayonne? There could be hotel options in Jersey City that could work within your overall budget.

Aloha Dave & Nancy from Arizona :D

My wife and I are on the same cruise that you are.

Are you flying in from AZ to EWR? They are working on the Staten Island Bridge during the day from about 9am to about 3pm on weekdays according to what I've been reading and they say that they won't be finished with the renovation to the bridge before the LOS 9/10, NE/CA cruise, so it will affect you if you stay on Staten Island.

Read 138east/Carol's stuff. She has a lot of good information and seems to be very knowledgeable about cruising out of Cape Liberty. Use the function to look at her past posting and ask concise questions for the clearest answers to your question.

I've provided the "recommended" solutions to the questions my boss has asked and would have followed almost all of Carol's recommended solutions, but I only report the news, I don't make it! LOL!

Edited by rakuroda

Thank you both for the quick replies. Here's the specifics - we're coming into EWR 2 days before the cruise with the intention of taking the SOL/Ellis Island tour the day before the cruise.

I've read a lot of your posts - thanks for all the info - and had thought it might be easier & more fun to take the Staten Island ferry to Battery Park to catch the tour, instead of the PATH light rail. But it's sounding like that's not such a hot idea.

We don't do much public transp here in Phoenix, but have done so in other cities. DH is ok with it while sightseeing, but not fond of it with luggage. We have all day on 9/9 to do the hotel/SOL tour/hotel trip.

This web site is a treasure of information. So help me out please. We are sailing on the 21 of Feb. on Anthem of the seas. We are trying to decide which is best for us. Driving from Lancaster Pa the morning of and paying parking at the pier or coming up on Saturday and staying in a hotel that has parking and then getting a cab or car service to the pier? ANY suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you both for the quick replies. Here's the specifics - we're coming into EWR 2 days before the cruise with the intention of taking the SOL/Ellis Island tour the day before the cruise.

I've read a lot of your posts - thanks for all the info - and had thought it might be easier & more fun to take the Staten Island ferry to Battery Park to catch the tour, instead of the PATH light rail. But it's sounding like that's not such a hot idea.

We don't do much public transp here in Phoenix, but have done so in other cities. DH is ok with it while sightseeing, but not fond of it with luggage. We have all day on 9/9 to do the hotel/SOL tour/hotel trip.

In addition to Staten Island look at Embassy Suites cruise package at Newark Airport if you don't want to book a car service. If you are on a tighter budget you can look at booking the park/sleep (I know - no car) on Trinityreservations for one night Sep 9 at the Ramada for $208 tax included with round trip cruise port transportation and book the other night Sep 8 at their regular rate on aa.com. From either of these hotels you would take the hotel shuttle to P4, free Airtrain one stop to the airport train station, train one stop to Newark Penn Station, and PATH train to World Trade Center. ($8.25 + $2.75/pp each way to NYC)

Also look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in downtown Newark. Both have airport shuttles and good access to Newark Penn Station for PATH trains directly to World Trade.

You don't need a car, but your lack of a car is a significant disadvantage staying on Staten Island. Normally it would be a quick ride across the Bayonne Bridge to the port, but with the bridge closings, you have to go west back to NJ, north on the turnpike and east back to Bayonne.

Balance out all the factors - hotel cost, transportation costs, travel time, and availability of food - and decide on a hotel location that would work for you.

Thank you Carol - you are a wealth of great information, especially for those of us who have not been to this part of the world before :)

You're welcome. A few more pieces of info. Downtown Newark is a highly urban area that you don't want to wander on foot. The station is fine. There is a sky Bridge walkway to Newark Penn Station Hilton. The Robert Treat is a few blocks away - their hotel shuttle will pick up and drop off at the station. Cabs are inexpensive in town - the interesting restaurants in the Ironbound district are a short taxi ride away.

The airport hotels are relatively isolated and they are just airport hotels. Embassy Suites is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with more dining options like IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and a food court. It offers free breakfast and is the newest airport hotel. The Ramada has a restaurant, cafe, and Teddy's sports bar and the Doubletree next door has a restaurant and bar.

PATH costs $2.75 and is a 22 minute ride between Newark Penn Station and World Trade.

Apparently, there is no easy way to get from Cape Liberty to JFK. The consensus seems to be to use a car service unless you want to take a tour that winds up at JFK and cost quite a bit more that the car service. The car service alone will cost you over $100 for the two of you to JFK (I just checked CarmelLimo for you). It's costing me about $120 for my wife and myself going from JFK to EWR before we go on our cruise. A taxi will definitely more because you are going from NY to NJ. Using the transit systems is cheaper and will take you longer and you have to manage your bags yourself and if you are not familiar with the transit systems in the area can be confusing.

So first, the consensus seems to be to fly thru EWR. The $16/person shuttle from Cape Liberty to EWR is now $28.50/person according to a posting on this thread. CarmelLimo shows a fare of $47+tolls+tip. I think the toll is $1.65. I think a taxi will run you about the same as CarmelLimo.

The Princess website show that your ship docks at 7am so you should be able to catch CarmelLimo by 9:20am. Google Maps show it is a 9.2 mile, 18 minute ride from Cape Liberty to EWR on Sunday, June 28, leaving at 9:20am and arriving at EWR about 9:40am. If Princess tells you that your ship disembark time is later than 8:30am, then you can schedule a later pick-up time. If what I think is correct, a 3pm departure to LAX (you say Socal) would mean a long wait in the airport.

September will be the first time we are cruising out of Cape Liberty, or NY/NJ. The information above is derived by researching the CC message board and using the internet.

If I had found this message board before out first cruise in 2012, I would have known a lot of stuff I wish I knew before our last two cruises. I'm retired and have no hobbies, but I like to keep learning stuff so I read on the internet, and research when my wife tells me I'm going someplace so I at least have an idea what I might see. Most of the time she just tells me what I am going to see so it cuts down on my research scope. LOL! That is why I'm currently spending a lot of time on the internet lately.

Also, I just read under Cape Liberty Airport shuttles are now $28.50/pp Carol has a lot of good advice for everybody on this board.

Thank you for your response, rakuroda! I know very well how time-consuming researching for a trip can be, so I appreciate insights from you (as well as Carol's sharing of her wealth of knowledge)! I will focus on flight search on EWR as you suggested. With the new price for the Cape Liberty Airport Shuttle increasing so much, the Princess transfer package does not seem so bad after all; I will look into car service which may give us a bit more control over what time we get to the airport.

Thanks again,

Ally

You're welcome. A few more pieces of info. Downtown Newark is a highly urban area that you don't want to wander on foot. The station is fine. There is a sky Bridge walkway to Newark Penn Station Hilton. The Robert Treat is a few blocks away - their hotel shuttle will pick up and drop off at the station. Cabs are inexpensive in town - the interesting restaurants in the Ironbound district are a short taxi ride away.

The airport hotels are relatively isolated and they are just airport hotels. Embassy Suites is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall with more dining options like IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets, and a food court. It offers free breakfast and is the newest airport hotel. The Ramada has a restaurant, cafe, and Teddy's sports bar and the Doubletree next door has a restaurant and bar.

PATH costs $2.75 and is a 22 minute ride between Newark Penn Station and World Trade.

Aloha Dave & Nancy :D

Please don't mind the larger text (old eyes) and easier to find my posts.

We arrive on 6:30am, 9/9, at JFK and are catching CarmelLimo to Hilton Newark Penn Station, mentioned by Carol as "Newark Penn Station Hilton". The Hilton Newark Penn Station is where RCI puts passengers and charges a premium over the regular hotel rate. We booked the package with the cruise shuttle because that is what my wife said we are doing.

If I was doing it, I would book a room in Jersey City close to the PATH/light rail and Newport Centre, and use the light rail mentioned by Carol to get to the port or CarmelLimo or the independent cab as also recommended by Carol. I say Jersey City because I think it might be a little less expensive than near the airport, but easier to use the mass transit to get to Manhattan.

My wife has no concept of packing light, is petite, and doesn't want me hurting myself schlepping the bags so she booked what WE wanted.

Our plan is to drop our bags at the Hilton Newark Penn Station and catch the PATH and subway to Katz's Delicatessen, 205 E Houston St., New York, NY. The rest of the day and night is free style. Next day is the shuttle to the ship.

Since our daughter moved to Manhattan, we've been several times and have visted Central Park, etc. After the cruise, DH says we are using Marriott points and staying in at the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Herald Square, on 35th St. for two nights after the cruise and will visit the 9/11 Memorial Museum. It wasn't open the last time we were in NY. It's really near Macy's and the Empire State Building.

When I'm asked what I want to do in Manhattan (or anywhere on vacation), my answer is EAT! and look for places to eat. Good deli, pizza, Italian, Korean, get the idea. If DH says we want to see a show, we'll see a show, but she hasn't said what we want to do. My she and my daughter will decide what choice of show or what we want to do besides eat. My daughter says she will join us after we've eaten. Now less you think I'm a large person, I only weigh 175lbs. All that walking looking for food keeps my weight down. LOL!

I hope this gives you some ideas.

This web site is a treasure of information. So help me out please. We are sailing on the 21 of Feb. on Anthem of the seas. We are trying to decide which is best for us. Driving from Lancaster Pa the morning of and paying parking at the pier or coming up on Saturday and staying in a hotel that has parking and then getting a cab or car service to the pier? ANY suggestions are welcomed.

Sorry - this slipped by me earlier. You're on a 12 day cruise. Parking at the port will be $226. For $202 tax included you can book the Ramada through Trinityreservations.com with parking for 21 days plus round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. The smart thing to do in the winter is to get to the port area the day before.

Happy Sunday all.

Carol or meg

1. Is the parking entrance the same?

2. Do they still have the diamond breakfast?

3. Do you know why a Princess ship is docking at Bayonne?

Thanks, you two do a great job helping your fellow cruisers with all there questions. I for one applaud you both.

Happy Sunday all.

Carol or meg

1. Is the parking entrance the same?

2. Do they still have the diamond breakfast?

Thanks, you two do a great job helping your fellow cruisers with all there questions. I for one applaud you both.

1) Yes - after dropping off at the new terminal, you get back on the old road, go past the old terminal, make a left and another left between the buildings to go to the parking entrance. There is a shuttle bus which I took for embarkation, but I just walked back to the lot when I disembarked.

2). Don't know about the diamond breakfast - I just got continental breakfast in the concierge lounge, which was very empty on my sailing as was the diamond lounge. The diamond lounge is gorgeous - great view from the former 19th hole area on Deck 14. Don't miss it.

3) this is a mystery. The OP needs to call Princess ASAP to verify. The Princess web site clearly states Bayonne for the arrival of this ship AND the departure of the ship. There is NOTHING on NYCruise.com for Caribbean Princess for Oct 11. However cruisett.com lists the Caribbean Princess as being in New York. The problem may be related to the Queen Mary 2 which also arrives on Oct 11 - both ships cannot dock in Brooklyn and Manhattan already has Carnival Splendor and Norwegian Breakaway.

Hi Carol,

We are driving from RI on Friday 9/4- party of 4 adults.

I currently have a room booked at Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island- park/stay/cruise rate of $229 total $266.

Is this our best bet? I want to drive down the day before as it is a holiday weekend and I will feel much better :D

THANKS!

Happy Sunday all.

3) this is a mystery. The OP needs to call Princess ASAP to verify. The Princess web site clearly states Bayonne for the arrival of this ship AND the departure of the ship. There is NOTHING on NYCruise.com for Caribbean Princess for Oct 11. However cruisett.com lists the Caribbean Princess as being in New York. The problem may be related to the Queen Mary 2 which also arrives on Oct 11 - both ships cannot dock in Brooklyn and Manhattan already has Carnival Splendor and Norwegian Breakaway.

Based on what I read in the Roll Call forum for the Oct 1-11 Caribbean Princess cruise, Princess sent out notifications in March/April saying that the disembarkation port was changing to Cape Liberty due to high volume shipping traffic at Brooklyn or Manhattan (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46122657&highlight=liberty#post46118604). I booked the cruise just last week myself, so I was not aware that there was a change until I started doing research; the itinerary I received already lists Bayonne as the last port.

Hi Carol,

We are driving from RI on Friday 9/4- party of 4 adults.

I currently have a room booked at Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island- park/stay/cruise rate of $229 total $266.

Is this our best bet? I want to drive down the day before as it is a holiday weekend and I will feel much better :D

THANKS!

Coming from Rhode Island I would not be going the extra 20-30 minutes and paying the extra $14 bridge toll to stay on Staten Island, particularly on the Friday of Labor Day weekend.

For a 5 day cruise I would pay the $95 to park at the port.

I would recommend two strategies on a holiday weekend.

1). Hotwire 2 rooms in Stamford - there is a 4* hotel for $67 + tax for a total of $87/night. This is going to be a very nice hotel with good access to I95. The next morning you drive the hour to Cape Liberty with substantially less traffic and aggravation. I can provide the directions - You do not want to take I95 through NYC. You can also book two queens at the Hampton Inn Stamford for $148 tax included or $133 AAA tax included. I've stayed here twice - free breakfast and free parking.

2). If you like Hilton Gardens book the one in Secaucus, NJ which offers 2 Queen beds. Otherwise look around for other hotels in Secaucus or Newark Airport that offer two queens.

The difference between stopping in Stamford on Friday night and trying to push through NYC with the holiday traffic could be huge. You may be very very happy to get off the road in the Stamford area.

Based on what I read in the Roll Call forum for the Oct 1-11 Caribbean Princess cruise, Princess sent out notifications in March/April saying that the disembarkation port was changing to Cape Liberty due to high volume shipping traffic at Brooklyn or Manhattan (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46122657&highlight=liberty#post46118604). I booked the cruise just last week myself, so I was not aware that there was a change until I started doing research; the itinerary I received already lists Bayonne as the last port.

Thank You

Thank You

We're on the Oct 11 cruise on Caribbean Princess that is now departing from Bayonne. When we got the email from Princess advising us of the change, their explanation was:

Please be advised that due to port congestion, this cruise will now depart from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, NJ, rather than the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Please contact your travel consultant for more information on this change. We look forward to welcoming you aboard Caribbean Princess.

Up to that point we were listed on the CruiseNY site as an embarking cruise with 'tbd' as the port. Shortly after this email, we were removed from that list, but we still don't show on the CruiseLiberty site. Our TA also got the notice.

Coming from Rhode Island I would not be going the extra 20-30 minutes and paying the extra $14 bridge toll to stay on Staten Island, particularly on the Friday of Labor Day weekend.

For a 5 day cruise I would pay the $95 to park at the port.

I would recommend two strategies on a holiday weekend.

1). Hotwire 2 rooms in Stamford - there is a 4* hotel for $67 + tax for a total of $87/night. This is going to be a very nice hotel with good access to I95. The next morning you drive the hour to Cape Liberty with substantially less traffic and aggravation. I can provide the directions - You do not want to take I95 through NYC. You can also book two queens at the Hampton Inn Stamford for $148 tax included or $133 AAA tax included. I've stayed here twice - free breakfast and free parking.

2). If you like Hilton Gardens book the one in Secaucus, NJ which offers 2 Queen beds. Otherwise look around for other hotels in Secaucus or Newark Airport that offer two queens.

The difference between stopping in Stamford on Friday night and trying to push through NYC with the holiday traffic could be huge. You may be very very happy to get off the road in the Stamford area.

I guess I should have looked at a map before I booked that one-:o good thing it can be cancelled.

We will be leaving early in the day with hopes to beat the traffic. I will check out Secaucus...

Thank you!!

Here are some pictures taken this past Sunday outside the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal. The Debarkation went amazingly swiftly. No waiting for anything, even US Customs and Immigration. We had an early number ( 8 ) so that may have helped but there were lots of others departing at the same time. We were off so early that the only wait was for the car service which wasn't planned until 9:30. We used Dial 7 with good results. No complaints. The exit from the terminal is in Zone 9 almost to Zone 10. When planning to meet a car service or family member etc. i would suggest agreeing on zone 7 or 8, alternatively go the other way to zones 11 etc. Zones 9 and 10 are very busy.

Looking towards zones 8 etc on the left with the cabs waiting on the right.

IMG_20150628_090717_zpsbp1b5hlr.jpg

The exit from the terminal at Zone 9.

IMG_20150628_092848_zpsgkelhuak.jpg

Shuttle bus pick-up area , the taxi dispatch is on the left out of the frame.

IMG_20150628_090708_zpsjj0hahab.jpg

Edited by LiftLockCouple

1) Yes - after dropping off at the new terminal, you get back on the old road, go past the old terminal, make a left and another left between the buildings to go to the parking entrance. There is a shuttle bus which I took for embarkation, but I just walked back to the lot when I disembarked.

2). Don't know about the diamond breakfast - I just got continental breakfast in the concierge lounge, which was very empty on my sailing as was the diamond lounge. The diamond lounge is gorgeous - great view from the former 19th hole area on Deck 14. Don't miss it.

YES it IS docking in Bayonne...sort of a one-off type of thing.....so yes, there IS a Princess ship docking at Cape Liberty...possibly twice.. I forget