CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I've got a question, about what you see as you leave port? We have balcony rooms on the starboard side of the ship, and are curious if we'll see many sights on the departure. I was hoping to see the Statue of Liberty, but that might not work?

I plan to get my parents settled in their stateroom (next door to mine) so we can sit on the balcony as we depart. It would be great if we can see Lady Liberty.

Judging from the maps, we might need to be on the port side for that though?

Thanks!

Paula

So, it sounds like there is public transportation from NPS to Cape Liberty? What would the cost per adult be one way? Any restrictions on luggage? Also sounds like we would be able to take the transit from NPS to Liberty State Park if willing to walk some. Would depend what weather is like in the area at the end of November. Back to the TA review boards—Hampton Inn Newark vs Hilton Newark Penn Station. Plenty of time to decide yet.

I have done both trips within the last 8 months.

In Jan I stayed at the Robert Treat hotel overnight precruise after taking the train down from Boston. I took the 9 am hotel shuttle to Newark Penn Station, got on a relatively empty PATH train to Exchange Place, took two sets of elevators up to the street, and walked across a small plaza to the light rail station. Took the Bayonne train and arrived about 10:05 at 34th St. A friend picked me up in her car service, so I didn't have to call a cab this time, but I have done that before. Path is $2.75 and the light rail is $2.10. Cab should have been $10-12. I'm a senior and I applied for a senior Smartlink card for PATH, so that trip cost me $1.00. Light rail is half price for seniors, so that was $1.05. Even with paying and tipping the car service, it was the cheapest trip I ever made to CL.

Having seen Liberty State Park this past Sep by car, there's no way I can recommend that you take the light rail there at the end of Nov. It's very open and on the water. With any kind of breeze there could be serious wind chill. It's a long walk and there are no cabs roaming the area. Without a car it will take you way longer to go from NJ than it will from NY. When you get SOL tickets you have to pick NY or NJ. If the weather is bad, you will have transportation options in NY.

I've got a question, about what you see as you leave port? We have balcony rooms on the starboard side of the ship, and are curious if we'll see many sights on the departure. I was hoping to see the Statue of Liberty, but that might not work?

I plan to get my parents settled in their stateroom (next door to mine) so we can sit on the balcony as we depart. It would be great if we can see Lady Liberty.

Judging from the maps, we might need to be on the port side for that though?

Thanks!

You need to be on the port side to see the Statue if on the Summit. Great views of the harbor. Also going under the VZ bridge for me was spectacular. In all the thousands of times I crossed that bridge it was only the second time I have ever been under it. I loved it!

Some great advice in this post. Thanks so much Carol! Sounds like you are recommending we chose NY for the ferry reqardless of staying in NJ? You've convinced me to use private transportation to get to LP. If we do use Independent Driver, would he not get us to Liberty Park and back?

Some great advice in this post. Thanks so much Carol! Sounds like you are recommending we chose NY for the ferry reqardless of staying in NJ? You've convinced me to use private transportation to get to LP. If we do use Independent Driver, would he not get us to Liberty Park and back?

Call and ask. My guess is that it will cost $50-60 each way. That's a huge difference from $5.50 each way for two people.

I'm a bit confused. How would we get from NPS hilton to the ferry on the ny side?

I'm confused too. I think there are two of you posting with similar questions.

The Newark Penn Station Hilton is across the street from PATH which goes directly to the World Trade Center in downtown Manhattan every 20 minutes on a Saturday morning. The trip takes 22 minutes and costs $2.75. From the World Trade Center you can walk to the SOL ferry or take a cab. This is both cost effective and time effective. Seeing the 911 memorial after your day on Ellis Island is also an option. You just reverse your route to return back to Newark Penn Station.

Thank you for the great information on this board.

This is my plan.

Flying into EWR at 8:00 pm.

We are staying at Country Inn &Suites Airport. I plan to use their complimentary shuttle from the airport to hotel.

My questions are:

1. Is there somewhere near the hotel to eat?

2. There are 2 of us. What would be the most convenient/economical way to get to port the next morning? I like to board early.

3. We have a 12:40 flight after the cruise. Any recommendations on getting from the ship to the airport?

Thank you!

Thank you for the great information on this board.

This is my plan.

Flying into EWR at 8:00 pm.

We are staying at Country Inn &Suites Airport. I plan to use their complimentary shuttle from the airport to hotel.

My questions are:

1. Is there somewhere near the hotel to eat?

2. There are 2 of us. What would be the most convenient/economical way to get to port the next morning? I like to board early.

3. We have a 12:40 flight after the cruise. Any recommendations on getting from the ship to the airport?

Thank you!

1. Ruby Tuesdays and Ihop are next to hotel. The courtyard across the street has a restaurant. There is an Applebee's, a Johnny Rockets and a food court in the Jersey gardens Mall.

2. Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for $55-60.

3. You can book a car service or go to the taxi dispatcher and pay $28.50 for a shared shuttle to the airport.

The only way to cut your transportation cost is to find folks on your roll call staying at the same hotel and share a ride.

Carol

How far in advance would you recommend booking a car service for Nov 1? I know right now is too far out. Normally I would think about 6 weeks but this is the same day as the NY Marathon - not sure of the impacts on the car services that day.

We are staying in Elizabeth, NJ (Residence Inn) and need to get to Bayonne to sail on the Liberty of the Seas.

Aloha ransrider,:D

Every time I think about using some travel using a RCI suggestion I think they are just making more money. Just looking at the rack rates for the hotel rooms in the Newark and Jersey City area tell me that RCI is upcharging for shuttle services to the Cape Liberty cruise port.

I think Carol is right about using the light rail and PATH then cab for the least expensive way to get to the dock. I think my wife just wants door to door service so I'm thinking taxi or carmellimo from whatever hotel we are staying at. I think she is making me look at alternatives since her original plan for me to drive from JFK is a no-go for me now.

BTW, we've never gone on a RCI ship before so what is the earliest time you can board the ship. Do they assign you a time to board? With 3,000 people trying to board the ship for the same 4pm sailing time, it must be a zoo. What time do they get your luggage to your room on the ship? What about departure? Is it assigned time or can you just get off the ship whenever you are ready?

Aloha, :D

Edited by rakuroda

Carol

How far in advance would you recommend booking a car service for Nov 1? I know right now is too far out. Normally I would think about 6 weeks but this is the same day as the NY Marathon - not sure of the impacts on the car services that day.

We are staying in Elizabeth, NJ (Residence Inn) and need to get to Bayonne to sail on the Liberty of the Seas.

Honestly I'm not a big car service person. You're much more likely to find me on public transit with my rolling carryons. I don't see the NY Marathon having a big impact on travel between Elizabeth and Cape Liberty. 6 weeks out should be plenty of time.

We just made reservations at the Hampton Inn and Suites at Newark Airport. They have a park package and we will contact a car service to get to the Port. Has anyone stayed here and what was your opinion? Thanks....Ellen

Aloha ransrider,:D

Every time I think about using some travel using a RCI suggestion I think they are just making more money. Just looking at the rack rates for the hotel rooms in the Newark and Jersey City area tell me that RCI is upcharging for shuttle services to the Cape Liberty cruise port.

I think Carol is right about using the light rail and PATH then cab for the least expensive way to get to the dock. I think my wife just wants door to door service so I'm thinking taxi or carmellimo from whatever hotel we are staying at. I think she is making me look at alternatives since her original plan for me to drive from JFK is a no-go for me now.

BTW, we've never gone on a RCI ship before so what is the earliest time you can board the ship. Do they assign you a time to board? With 3,000 people trying to board the ship for the same 4pm sailing time, it must be a zoo. What time do they get your luggage to your room on the ship? What about departure? Is it assigned time or can you just get off the ship whenever you are ready?

I'm sailing in 12 days and will report back on my experience with Liberty. Im drving down this time so I can board early. I arrived about 10:15 for the Quantum and was on the ship by 11 am. I keep my luggage with me. Self disembarkation was fine in Feb, but the snowstorm wreaked havoc with the livery service. I walked off about 8 am.

I'm sailing in 12 days and will report back on my experience with Liberty. Im drving down this time so I can board early. I arrived about 10:15 for the Quantum and was on the ship by 11 am. I keep my luggage with me. Self disembarkation was fine in Feb, but the snowstorm wreaked havoc with the livery service. I walked off about 8 am.

Wow! Walk off (with luggage) by 8:00 a.m. sounds great to me. We arrive back at Cape Liberty from our Anthem sailing on 22 Nov (Sunday) at 7:00 a.m. Is there a general consensus that an 11:30 flight out of EWR is doable if we self-assist our luggage?

Wow! Walk off (with luggage) by 8:00 a.m. sounds great to me. We arrive back at Cape Liberty from our Anthem sailing on 22 Nov (Sunday) at 7:00 a.m. Is there a general consensus that an 11:30 flight out of EWR is doable if we self-assist our luggage?

I'd feel comfortable doing that, but don't dawdle. Breakfast was a zoo on the Quantum - that was the morning bottleneck.

Aloha Carol, :D

I hope you have a wonderful time on your 5 Night Bermuda cruise. I see that this cruise only visits one port. You'll have lots of time to relax on board the ship without having to get up to go someplace.

Maybe one day my wife will tell me that we're going to Bermuda on a cruise. I only follow along. It's kind of hard for me to choose someplace to visit since we live in paradise all year round.

I really only travel to visit family and friends on North America.

Thanks for your help.

Aloha & have fun! ! !:D

I'd feel comfortable doing that, but don't dawdle. Breakfast was a zoo on the Quantum - that was the morning bottleneck.

Thanks so much! I can vouch for the breakfast issues on the Quantum on the morning of arrival back at Cape Liberty.......we were on the "Inaugural Sailing" in November.

I really appreciate the assistance!

Aloha Carol, :D

I hope you have a wonderful time on your 5 Night Bermuda cruise. I see that this cruise only visits one port. You'll have lots of time to relax on board the ship without having to get up to go someplace.

Maybe one day my wife will tell me that we're going to Bermuda on a cruise. I only follow along. It's kind of hard for me to choose someplace to visit since we live in paradise all year round.

I really only travel to visit family and friends on North America.

Thanks for your help.

Aloha & have fun! ! !:D

Thanks! We have a day at sea, two days in Bermuda, and a day at sea. A quickie cruise. I will be sailing Honolulu to Vancouver next spring and am looking forward to seeing 5 islands on the Radiance.

There is a possibility that we may take a cruise next July. Thinking about doing something different. Is it feasible to take a water taxi from Manhattan, pier 11 to Port Liberte, NJ and call for a cab to take us to the cruise terminal?

Thank you

What day of the week would you do this? Many of the ferries only run weekdays during commuter hours.

What area of Manhattan would you be staying in? I understand you want to mix it up and perhaps enjoy a "river cruise" on a ferry. If you couldn't get to Port Liberte, would you consider an "accessible with luggage" light rail ride to Bayonne and a cab into the port?

Aloha :D

I was just reading the 17 Cruise Mistakes not to make and saw where the cabin steward tip is supposed to be left on the last night. Is the cabin steward tip not included in the mandatory daily gratuity charge?

Also on our Princess CL cruises, I would sometimes have 3 appetizers and no entree for dinner (not a big eater) or no appetizer or dessert but 2 entrees in the MDR. Do they charge for this on RCI?

We're still new to cruising so I figured I'd ask the experts on the board.