Paying the difference

SeaWatch

I read in other threads that with the Premium Beverage Package should you order a wine over $13 you just pay the difference. However, when reading the Celebrity web site description I do not see that option.

Can any recent cruisers verify it is possible?

Also, would love yo see up to date bar menus.

Thanks so much!

On Silhouette in January,DH paid the difference with his Premium Beverage Package in Blu when he opted for a glass of wine over $13. :D

I have just emailed this address also -- anyone who has a Premium beverage package and experieces a range of wines not being available for wines with dinner in the Specialty Restaurants should also question this . It clearly states in the promotion that wine in the Premium Package is available at all bars and restaurants on the ship .

No reply yet

I agree, I've never seen it in print from Celebrity but sure did it enough on our last cruise...oh that Amarone in Tuscan Grill :)

It absolutely was in print when they first launched the packages. I have been getting premium since the week they launched the new packages four years ago, well before people started getting them for free. It was in print and it was only premium.

I read in other threads that with the Premium Beverage Package should you order a wine over $13 you just pay the difference. However, when reading the Celebrity web site description I do not see that option.

Can any recent cruisers verify it is possible?

This is true.

I call this one of the "undocumented benefits" that currently exist, so that if some day they remove this nuance, we can't be upset as it's not in any of the current official documentation that it's part of the benefits allowed. But for now, they do allow paying only he overage when on Premium package.

Edited by cle-guy

Hey Kurt ,

I'm assumming you had a Premium beverage package ? (maybe not ?) If so , Were you able to have an included selection of wine by the glass in the Specialty Restaurants such as Murano . I have emailed the address given earlier but still waiting to hear back as if there is a change now we would certainly cancel those reservations.

If you do not use the packages , do you have any knowledge of events described earlier in this thread ?

I've had packages and not had package. But in Specialty restaurants always get a good bottle of wine.

I honestly never pay attention to wine prices, I just get what I like. I was especially happy to find the half bottles on MDR menu last sailing.

If I get a drinks package, i always upgrade to premium, so I expand my choices, and usually get by the glass Freemark Abbey which if I recall is a $4.50 upcharge. Also Premium package gets 20% discount on full bottles priced over $40 (I think that threshold is correct).

I did once in Qsine get told that Premium Package did not cover any of the specialty drinks on their menu, they had to be paid at full price. I could have however ordered a standard cocktail and it would have ben covered i.e. a gin and tonic., but their "Moscow Mule" was a specialty menu drink and not covered. After this I asked for a glass of freemark abbey, and they did run down (this was on summit - Qsine is on top deck) to the MDR and get it for me, and I was only charged the $4.50 upcharge, actually I think they may have even forgotten to bill that, but I know I wasn't billed full price.

Edited by cle-guy

I've had packages and not had package. But in Specialty restaurants always get a good bottle of wine.

I did once in Qsine get told that Premium Package did not cover any of the specialty drinks on their menu, they had to be paid at full price. I could have however ordered a standard cocktail and it would have ben covered i.e. a gin and tonic., but their "Moscow Mule" was a specialty menu drink and not covered. After this I asked for a glass of freemark abbey, and they did run down (this was on summit - Qsine is on top deck) to the MDR and get it for me, and I was only charged the $4.50 upcharge, actually I think they may have even forgotten to bill that, but I know I wasn't billed full price.

I am sure that those are the only drinks on the ship you can't use the package to purchase. Doesn't make any sense but has always been the case.

On Millennium in December we dined at The Olympic.

When we were seated we were offered Champagne but we declined and informed them that as we had the premium package and we would be fine with Prosecco (which was covered). We were informed that they did not serve prosecco in The Olympic-only Champagne (starting at $27 per glass).

There was also nothing in the wine list which was covered by the Premium package (there was 1 red wine at $15 per glass and the price escalated from there). When I queried this as we had had no such problem in Ocean Liners on Constellation and in SS United States on Infinity, I was informed that it was the decision of the individual Sommelier wether to keep wines available which would be covered by the package in the Restaurant.

After paying to upgrade both our classic packages, then another $45 each cover charge, I wasn't too pleased with this.

On our next cruise I will be asking if there will be wines covered by the package available before we book.

This is deserving of a note to contact.michael@celebrity.com which will go to the new CEO, Lisa's office. I am pretty sure that this is not HQ's intent and the sommelier's are acting independently to increase their income. They should have at a very minimum, one red and one white that fall within each package.

Perhaps you could just send her a copy of your post and ask if that's Celebrity's policy and something you should expect on future cruises.

Well I have some feedback for anyone who may be interested.

I received a call a couple of days ago from the US. It was a very nice lady who was from the Corporate Guest Relations Leadership Team. She was calling regarding my complaint sent by email.

She couldn't apologise enough and told me that the issue has been fully investigated and she confirmed that what we experienced was definitely not Celebrity policy and that a choice of beverages which are covered by the beverage packages should be available in ALL restaurants including speciality restaurants. She assured me that this has now been addressed with the relevant persons onboard Millennium and the correct policy has reiterated to all ships in the fleet.

She then informed me that she was adding some additional onboard credit to the reservation for our upcoming cruise on Reflection as an apology for the disappointment we had experienced.

I am really pleased with the outcome and the manner in which it was handled. I hope my complaint did not result in someone onboard Millennium getting into trouble but if crew members are deliberately not following policy which directly affects guests experience then I guess it really needed to be addressed.

Thanks ghstudio for suggesting I raise this issue:)

Well I have some feedback for anyone who may be interested.

I received a call a couple of days ago from the US. It was a very nice lady who was from the Corporate Guest Relations Leadership Team. She was calling regarding my complaint sent by email.

She couldn't apologise enough and told me that the issue has been fully investigated and she confirmed that what we experienced was definitely not Celebrity policy and that a choice of beverages which are covered by the beverage packages should be available in ALL restaurants including speciality restaurants. She assured me that this has now been addressed with the relevant persons onboard Millennium and the correct policy has reiterated to all ships in the fleet.

She then informed me that she was adding some additional onboard credit to the reservation for our upcoming cruise on Reflection as an apology for the disappointment we had experienced.

I am really pleased with the outcome and the manner in which it was handled. I hope my complaint did not result in someone onboard Millennium getting into trouble but if crew members are deliberately not following policy which directly affects guests experience then I guess it really needed to be addressed.

Thanks ghstudio for suggesting I raise this issue:)

Just had a similar call from Celebrity , possibly from the same very nice lady who also assured me that there is a selection of wine by the glass in all specialty restaurants . It was a much appreciated call .:D