Paying the difference

SeaWatch

I read in other threads that with the Premium Beverage Package should you order a wine over $13 you just pay the difference. However, when reading the Celebrity web site description I do not see that option.

Can any recent cruisers verify it is possible?

Also, would love yo see up to date bar menus.

Thanks so much!

Just off the Connie this morning. I don't have bar menus, but each night we were able to pay the difference in Cellarmasters to enjoy wines not fully covered by the Premium package. Didn't have occasion to try it anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just off the Connie this morning. I don't have bar menus, but each night we were able to pay the difference in Cellarmasters to enjoy wines not fully covered by the Premium package. Didn't have occasion to try it anywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks Tiki,

Most of the time the $13 should over what we want. However, I am anticipating wanting 'an upgrade' in the Tuscan Grill.

What is Cellermasters?

Thanks Tiki,

Most of the time the $13 should over what we want. However, I am anticipating wanting 'an upgrade' in the Tuscan Grill.

What is Cellermasters?

There are good selections at or below the $13 that are covered by the $13 cap in the premium package. When going to the specialty restaurants, if I don't see something I want that is covered, I ask the sommelier to recommend something that is covered. I find this works well for me.

Cellar Masters is a bar that specializes in wine. The beverage packages do not work with the enomatic wine dispensers, just wines poured by the glass at the bar.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

There are good selections at or below the $13 that are covered by the $13 cap in the premium package. When going to the specialty restaurants, if I don't see something I want that is covered, I ask the sommelier to recommend something that is covered. I find this works well for me.

Cellar Masters is a bar that specializes in wine. The beverage packages do not work with the enomatic wine dispensers, just wines poured by the glass at the bar.

Oh, that's good to know ( about the dispensers). I am guessing you can get wine by the glass other than in the dispensers at Cellar Mastets? Do all S class ships

Have one?

Oh, that's good to know ( about the dispensers). I am guessing you can get wine by the glass other than in the dispensers at Cellar Mastets? Do all S class ships

Have one?

Wine dispensers are being phased out and discontinued. Not sure which S-Class ships may still have them operating. Yes, there are posted hours when the wine sommelier is working and you can get wines poured by the glass that will be paid by the bevy packages.

Wine dispensers are being phased out and discontinued. Not sure which S-Class ships may still have them operating. Yes, there are posted hours when the wine sommelier is working and you can get wines poured by the glass that will be paid by the bevy packages.

Ah hh, ok. Any other bars you recommend for a quiet drink? I know we will be on deck during the day - the Sunset Bar looks fantastic.

I believe that the "pay only the difference" with the premium package has never actually been documented by celebrity. It just sort of happened...and just sort of keeps happening.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....

I believe that the "pay only the difference" with the premium package has never actually been documented by celebrity. It just sort of happened...and just sort of keeps happening.

I agree, I've never seen it in print from Celebrity but sure did it enough on our last cruise...oh that Amarone in Tuscan Grill :)

Quiet is "relative" and depends on the time of day, and type of ship (M-Class vs. -Class). Chances are I could suggest something and it doesn't appeal to you. However, my favorite places to get away from crowds that are less noisy, or even less busy, are the sunset bar, passport bar, and Cellar Masters for wine.

I read in other threads that with the Premium Beverage Package should you order a wine over $13 you just pay the difference. However, when reading the Celebrity web site description I do not see that option.

Thanks so much!

We only paid the difference last Nov on the Equinox, and in Nov of 2013 on the Reflection. It did not matter what the drink was, wine, beer, shots, or mixed, or which bar it was fetched from. Even the 5 Martini flight was only $3.00 with the Premium.

Yes it's not very clear on their website, but it definitely is the case. We ordered a couple of wines by the glass on the MDR last cruise and they were over the premium per glass cap. We each were charged a $1.50 at the end of the meal [emoji33]. Also in Tuscan I tried a glass of Amarone....the waiter actually charged me the full price ($24) as it was 'over' the pkg cap. I mentioned I understood that only applied for the classic pkg, whereas the premium pkg is charged only the difference. He went off to clarify and came back very apologetic and confirmed my understanding was correct, and waivered the charge altogether!!

Aside from that I found I easily was able to find something to drink within the package limits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by QE2_Fan

The celebrity FAQs section ( I only checked the UK site ) under "BEVERAGES PACKAGES", does state:

" With the Classic package, if you order a drink above the stated price limit, you must pay the full price of that drink. If you have the Premium package, you only pay the additional amount of the drink that is above the stated price limit. Example: Glass of wine at 15USD, Classic will pay 15USD, Premium will only pay the additional 2USD.*"

It is a little bit buried.

Not sure which Ship the OP will be on but the Wine Dispensers have gone (along with Cellar Masters) off the Equinox and maybe others. From what I remember, wines from them was "top shelf" and very costly.

With wine in the Speciality Restaurants, there is a good selection under $13- that fits within the "Premium Package" and also a good selection only slightly over ($13.50 to $16.00 glass).. And yes, you only pay the difference if on Premium Package.

With wine in the Speciality Restaurants, there is a good selection under $13- that fits within the "Premium Package" and also a good selection only slightly over ($13.50 to $16.00 glass).. And yes, you only pay the difference if on Premium Package.

On Millennium in December we dined at The Olympic.

When we were seated we were offered Champagne but we declined and informed them that as we had the premium package and we would be fine with Prosecco (which was covered). We were informed that they did not serve prosecco in The Olympic-only Champagne (starting at $27 per glass).

There was also nothing in the wine list which was covered by the Premium package (there was 1 red wine at $15 per glass and the price escalated from there). When I queried this as we had had no such problem in Ocean Liners on Constellation and in SS United States on Infinity, I was informed that it was the decision of the individual Sommelier wether to keep wines available which would be covered by the package in the Restaurant.

After paying to upgrade both our classic packages, then another $45 each cover charge, I wasn't too pleased with this.

On our next cruise I will be asking if there will be wines covered by the package available before we book.

When we were seated we were offered Champagne but we declined and informed them that as we had the premium package and we would be fine with Prosecco (which was covered). We were informed that they did not serve prosecco in The Olympic-only Champagne (starting at $27 per glass).

There was also nothing in the wine list which was covered by the Premium package (there was 1 red wine at $15 per glass and the price escalated from there). When I queried this as we had had no such problem in Ocean Liners on Constellation and in SS United States on Infinity, I was informed that it was the decision of the individual Sommelier wether to keep wines available which would be covered by the package in the Restaurant.

After paying to upgrade both our classic packages, then another $45 each cover charge, I wasn't too pleased with this.

On our next cruise I will be asking if there will be wines covered by the package available before we book.

I noticed the same thing in the Murano's on the Eclipse last month. I was amazed that they did not a single Chardonnay within the premium package limit. They may have had a few wines within the package, but it is obvious to me that Celebrity is trying to force you to buy pay for more expensive wines in Murano's. I usually do try some special wines, but I was bothered by not have a good choice.

I was informed that it was the decision of the individual Sommelier wether to keep wines available which would be covered by the package in the Restaurant.

Interesting. When we were on the Equinox last Nov, we dined 2X in Murano & Tuscan, and 1 time in Silk Harvest and had good wine selections. It was in the MDR that things were not so good. Many times we would get something at one of the bars and take it in with us. By day 5 our SOM seemed to get the hint and all of a sudden he had different wines ( off menu ) for us.

Ok Celebrity Cruise official poster, is this the normal on each ship now?

This is deserving of a note to contact.michael@celebrity.com which will go to the new CEO, Lisa's office. I am pretty sure that this is not HQ's intent and the sommelier's are acting independently to increase their income. They should have at a very minimum, one red and one white that fall within each package.

Perhaps you could just send her a copy of your post and ask if that's Celebrity's policy and something you should expect on future cruises.

Edited by ghstudio

The celebrity FAQs section ( I only checked the UK site ) under "BEVERAGES PACKAGES", does state:

" With the Classic package, if you order a drink above the stated price limit, you must pay the full price of that drink. If you have the Premium package, you only pay the additional amount of the drink that is above the stated price limit. Example: Glass of wine at 15USD, Classic will pay 15USD, Premium will only pay the additional 2USD.*"

It is a little bit buried.

Thank you for posting this....

Not sure which Ship the OP will be on but the Wine Dispensers have gone (along with Cellar Masters) off the Equinox and maybe others. From what I remember, wines from them was "top shelf" and very costly.

Thank You! We will be on the Silhouette

This is deserving of a note to contact.michael@celebrity.com which will go to the new CEO, Lisa's office. I am pretty sure that this is not HQ's intent and the sommelier's are acting independently to increase their income. They should have at a very minimum, one red and one white that fall within each package.

Perhaps you could just send her a copy of your post and ask if that's Celebrity's policy and something you should expect on future cruises.

Great idea.

I tried to do this but the message could not be delivered. Looks like this e-mail address is no longer valid.

Anyone know if there is a new contact address for new CEO Lisa?

There was one wine that my husband like that was like $1.50 above the package limit, so the two times he had it the sommolier verified that he was aware he'd be charged the $1.50, which we were fine with.

Although we expected to, I never saw the $1.50 charges on our bill, so I don't think we were actually charged. Those were the only drinks we had over the limit.

Thanks so much!

On my January cruise, if you had the Premium Beverage Package, you could pay the difference.

OK-email sent.

Correct address was contactmichael@celebrity.com

I Will come back and share the response for anyone who is interested.

Simon.

I have just emailed this address also -- anyone who has a Premium beverage package and experieces a range of wines not being available for wines with dinner in the Specialty Restaurants should also question this . It clearly states in the promotion that wine in the Premium Package is available at all bars and restaurants on the ship .