tips

esimon

I'm willing to bet my 2015 cruise budget that no one on CC can answer your question fully.

HAL and the union of the workers involved have come to an agreement, and those specifics have never been published, to my knowledge. I consider that it's not my business who gets what, so long as they accept the terms.

Clearly the cabin and dining stewards get the lion's share, with some differences based on seniority. Pinnacle and Tamarind stewards also get a portion. There are behind the scenes people in the laundry, cleaners, the people who clean the public restrooms, cooks on the Lido line getting some of the service charge, too.

The ones you can be sure aren't getting any of the service charge are the lounge stewards, bartenders, and those who serve wine. They get their "tips" from the service charge that's added to the bar bill.

It mAtters or I wouldn't have asked but thanks for the curiosity. I want to make sure those that take care of us are getting their fareshare.

I like the union concept. Didn't think of that.

I will tip the room service folks. I do love my morning coffee!!

I'm willing to bet my 2015 cruise budget that no one on CC can answer your question fully.

HAL and the union of the workers involved have come to an agreement, and those specifics have never been published, to my knowledge. I consider that it's not my business who gets what, so long as they accept the terms.

Clearly the cabin and dining stewards get the lion's share, with some differences based on seniority. Pinnacle and Tamarind stewards also get a portion. There are behind the scenes people in the laundry, cleaners, the people who clean the public restrooms, cooks on the Lido line getting some of the service charge, too.

The ones you can be sure aren't getting any of the service charge are the lounge stewards, bartenders, and those who serve wine. They get their "tips" from the service charge that's added to the bar bill.

Yes, ^^ this.

We know generally who is included in the tip pool but I doubt any of us CC'ers are completely clear what percentage goes to whom. I've never given it much thought. I do feel free to tip a bit extra to those who specifically have made our cruise more special. There are always some who go a bit over and above what they need to do and I like to show them appreciation. It is voluntary and not required, of course.

I know this is not a new question so I don't want this to go on and on LOL but...

now that tipping is charged daily and billed at the end - can you break down for me who actually gets these tips

thank you

I've never seen it defined specifically. It's a good question.

I've never seen it defined specifically. It's a good question.
Some CDs used to toss out numbers like 35% to room stewards, 35% to MDR stewards and 30% to the back of the house. I haven't heard that in a few years, but those were probably averages at best. As RuthC said, seniority has to have some impact on exactly what % each worker draws from the pool.

Some people used to protest in posts here that the MDR stewards shouldn't get anything from them because they eat all their meals in the Lido, or that the PG staff shouldn't get any part, because they never eat there. As Ruth said "it's not my business who gets what".

Edited by jtl513

Have also recently heard the 35% to your assigned dining steward, 35% to your room steward and 30% to the more unseen crew from a CD. Also for as you wish dining, the 35% is spread across all the stewards in that venue. I do like the 30% as it is nice to know the people who polish the brass, make the raisin buns and wash the dishes also gets a share.

Have also recently heard the 35% to your assigned dining steward, 35% to your room steward ...
Of course in Open Seating you don't have an assigned steward, and they rotate between Open and Fixed. Most likely the assistant room and MDR stewards get less than the senior guy, so I think it's more accurate to say 35% of the pool goes to each group, but your individual steward may get more or less.

What I don't understand is why people feel it is ok to quiz somebody as to how much money they make. I would find it rude and intrusive if my waiter or steward asked me how much money I made this year or what the breakdown of my compensation was so I would never think to do the same to them.

What I don't understand is why people feel it is ok to quiz somebody as to how much money they make.
When I asked the stewardess where the 15% went on pre-purchased beverages it wasn't to find out how much she makes, it was to determine whether it was better for them for me to buy on board rather than pre-order. The answer I got was that it didn't make any difference, it went into the bar pool in both cases. That is the opposite of what the OP of this thread heard, namely that it went into the HSC pool.

However, I believe that there is some incentive for them to try to upsell you if you buy on board (suggest a bottle if you order a glass, or a multi-bottle package if your order just one) but I think the reward is non-monetary, like extra time off.

Having lived in both the auto tip world of today and the envelope passing of yesterday - the big difference I see is in your interactions with the Stewards and waiters. Today - it is all business....which is fine...but not a lot of chatting...."Back in the Day" they really tried to chat you up a lot more.....I think I like today better....Service has been the same in both cases....

When I asked the stewardess where the 15% went on pre-purchased beverages ...
Ignore this post! Wrong thread! I was thinking I was on the "Pre-purchased wine package" thread. :o:o
Having lived in both the auto tip world of today and the envelope passing of yesterday - the big difference I see is in your interactions with the Stewards and waiters. Today - it is all business....which is fine...but not a lot of chatting...."Back in the Day" they really tried to chat you up a lot more.....I think I like today better....Service has been the same in both cases....
I think a lot depends on where your table is, and what time of the evening it is. On our last cruise we had a table most nights that was in a back corner, near a steward station, at early Open seating. The waiter and assistant would frequently take a little break after they had deposited dirty dishes etc at the station, and turn and talk to us. Later when it got busier they probably couldn't do that as much. Edited by jtl513

When I asked the stewardess where the 15% went on pre-purchased beverages it wasn't to find out how much she makes, it was to determine whether it was better for them for me to buy on board rather than pre-order. The answer I got was that it didn't make any difference, it went into the bar pool in both cases. That is the opposite of what the OP of this thread heard, namely that it went into the HSC pool.

However, I believe that there is some incentive for them to try to upsell you if you buy on board (suggest a bottle if you order a glass, or a multi-bottle package if your order just one) but I think the reward is non-monetary, like extra time off.

I would expect the bar staff has some sort of quota expectation to sell. One could think they weren't 'doing their job' if the sales from one are far lower than from other bar staff. It's all about revenue.

I think any diminishment in interaction with crew/stewards is due to lower staffing levels than anything else. Fewer people are doing the same amount of work as they did when there were more stewards who had time to chat with guests.

I sailed Princess last week for the first time in 5 years....service was slower than I recall in MDR, but everyone was working their tails off and flying around. I recall their used to be a head waiter for every 6 tables or so and he made the pasta right in the MDR....sounds like they cut way back....does anyone have any numbers?