Just off 3rd trip the Oasis. Total lack of wow

rt1092

My comments about a few of these issues. 1. The different in drink prices come from varying quality of liquor. If the extra dollar upsets you, tell them you want the cheapest drink you can get. 2. We didn't have robes last cruise and couldn't care less. We were " entitled" to them and " earned" them but so what? We went on 20 cruises because we like to cruise. Not for a robe. 3. We will like drinking our free drinks in the bars with new friends and other peons and have fun, not fretting and complaining about not fitting in some overcrowded room that we "earned" the right to sit in. Thanks to the comments here, we won't be going near the DL on our upcoming Diamond cruise. More room for you whiners. Have fun! Oh, please stay away from Boleros. You won't like it.

how can I properly answer when you've pre dismissed most of the reasons someone would want to use a lounge/benefits they are entitled to???

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. You're the one who dismissed the other services, by saying sure people could use their drink coupons in other bars, but that they lose out on all the other services of the C.L. I simply pointed out that no, they really wouldn't lose out on the other services, few as they are. They can still go in the morning for continental breakfast, or other times for coffee, or to help with something from the concierge. Pray tell, what "services" is a person missing out on if they go to another bar for a free happy hour drink instead of the C.L.? :confused:

I guess you are one of those that just prepay and then walk away on the last night. I always prepay then if there are no issues tip more on the last night.

And BTW the Latte machine was broken during the day at least 2 days I know of. I guess we should have gone down to starbucks and paid for it?

1. I do generally pre-pay, because we tend to choose My Time Dining, rather than a set table at a set time with a set wait staff. Most nights we actually go to specialty restaurants and tip very generously there, on top of the pre-paid tips and the restaurant cover charge. In the past, there have been occasions when we had late seating and for whatever reason didn't eat in the MDR on the last night. With a set seating we generally had not pre-paid our tops, so if we weren't going to be there the last night (usually because we opted for a specialty restaurant) we always just slipped in right before or after the dinner service and gave the tip envelopes to the wait staff. Easy peasy.

2. The latte machine being broken and un-useable is unfortunate, but it has nothing to do with the lounge being overcrowded at night. It's an entirely separate issue.

Have you ever been on the oasis?

Do you realize how long the lines are for guest services?

And BTW the concierge is the one who would/should make that call.

No tip for him this trip.

I agree, the concierge (not the waitstaff) should have been the first person to hear of the lounge seating concerns /wheelchair.

Just off today. Lack of any WOW except for Carmella our stateroom attendant.

Seems like the rumors that royal isn't catering to repeat customers is true.

The concierge lounge now hosts all from diamond up (no specific diamond lounge) At ten minutes after 5 you can't even get a seat. We asked the staff about it they said try upstairs. I told them fine you carry my wheelchair bound mother in law up and down the stairs, and look for a seat

In the past they have always open satellite lounges for the overflow. Not any more.

The food and dining room service was so-so. Not poor just acceptable.

They schedule the farewell show at 8:45 (one show only) so nobody that has late seating can even attend. I'm sure they hope you'll go buy a diner somewhere that night.

I ordered the same drink in 5 different bars and paid 4 different prices. When I inquired about it the bartenders said the other guy made a mistake.

The elevators and guest services were worst than I remembered.

This was our 4th trip on this class, and our last unless they come up with an almost free cruise. And if royal continues their race to the bottom. Our royal days will be over. With the prices royal is getting with their bogoho "sales" you would expect better than ncl or carnival.

Well you have Wowed me! The number of cruises you have taken w/ Royal is commendable. Having said this, Im not sure that one can be 'wowed' any longer. With so many cruises, the 'newness' and excitement would most likely wane a bit due to the frequency of repeating the same things over & over again. With each passing cruise, one can easily begin to compare cruises against one another, but at the same time, one's anticipation, attitude and expectations change as well. Thus the comparison is not a fair representation.

Where do the Diamonds go??

The lounge on Deck 11 (former CL, started conversion to Wonderland, back to a lounge when DD got scrapped) is for all loyalty levels Diamond and up. Pinnacle members have another choice, as the Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen on 17 are available to them.

Oy. I mean double Oy. Life is too short people to complain about these first world problems when you do six RCI cruises in one year.

I have a great tip...there are other cruise lines out there. And guess, what? There are other vacations out there too.

Next time you are in my part of town, I'll bring you some cheese with all your WHINE. :)

...My husband and I laughed so hard that we worried about it before our vacation . I really think a lot of people just focus on the negative. Honestly I'm glad because reading the negative reviews keeps me grounded. I'm expecting the worst meal of my life at chops so with expectations that low it is bound to be a little better lol.

Haha! I enjoyed your worrying story. My wife and I are in the same ship (see what I did there?) you and your husband were in. After reading these boards, we really are expecting some of the worst dining experiences we've ever seen (land or sea) when we sail aboard Freedom on 3/15. We've even had the conversation of eating pizza, cheeseburgers, or the buffet every night due to some of the comments we've read over the last year.

We're still excited about our trip, but these boards and some of the attitudes on it have made us a little worried as to what to expect crew, ship, and passenger wise. That's not going to be the most popular comment, but that is how we feel.

My family and I always get a good laugh at Thurston Howell and Lovey as they parade around the cruise with a general air of displeasure and general grumpiness. They complain about the Scotch to Soda ratio in their drinks, that there isn't enough Bloody to go with their Mary, and they shouldn't let all of these kids on the ship.

The mainstream or big box cruise industry has changed. Royal won't tell you this but their key market is not you. The Family is the key market and who Royal and other mainstream lines hope to attract. Count the new family friendly activities, spaces and initiatives on new ships, they greatly outweigh exclusive lounges and spaces.

I am always amazed by these forums and how upset folks get over a stupid lounge or loss of a perk. Really? Are they that important? Do they make or break the trip? Get out and explore the ports and the world while at sea, enjoy life.

On a side note my 7 year old daughter is one cruise away from being Emerald. I estimate that before she graduates high school she will have easily surpassed the diamond level, but I hope and pray she never steps foot in the exclusive lounge or is concerned with her free perks, but instead is more concerned about the adventure and memories we make.

Edited by RailRider13

Well you have Wowed me! The number of cruises you have taken w/ Royal is commendable. Having said this, Im not sure that one can be 'wowed' any longer. With so many cruises, the 'newness' and excitement would most likely wane a bit due to the frequency of repeating the same things over & over again. With each passing cruise, one can easily begin to compare cruises against one another, but at the same time, one's anticipation, attitude and expectations change as well. Thus the comparison is not a fair representation.

Not so. A little over 3 years ago, we went on the Monarch 4 nighter. Not expecting much. We were totally impressed with the cruise. And went back 3 or 4 more times. In December we were on the Liberty, had a great time.

We are not snobbish diamond plussers. We don't expect a premium cruise. For the prices we pay. But we do expect to receive what royal advertises. The oasis is supposed to be one of their flagships. Our last 2 cruises on her were fine. And to us they have dropped the ball. Their bogoho is much more than we have paid in the past. They no longer allow you to combine the balcony discount with anything. Meaning that after 34 cruises the 1st time cruiser gets the same rate. When you try to use royal visa points for a cruise they jack the price up.

After staying basically loyal to royal for 12 years. We are now looking at other lines. The free drinks from 5 to 8:30 don't mean much to me. I usually only drink after dinner. The free bottle of wine in the stateroom we take home a give away. The absurd cookies and nuts (doggie bag) are no reason to continue. We rarely attend welcome back parties.

We have always heard royal had the best entertainment. But now I'm hearing better things from other lines.

Not so. A little over 3 years ago, we went on the Monarch 4 nighter. Not expecting much. We were totally impressed with the cruise. And went back 3 or 4 more times. In December we were on the Liberty, had a great time.

We are not snobbish diamond plussers. We don't expect a premium cruise. For the prices we pay. But we do expect to receive what royal advertises. The oasis is supposed to be one of their flagships. Our last 2 cruises on her were fine. And to us they have dropped the ball. Their bogoho is much more than we have paid in the past. They no longer allow you to combine the balcony discount with anything. Meaning that after 34 cruises the 1st time cruiser gets the same rate. When you try to use royal visa points for a cruise they jack the price up.

After staying basically loyal to royal for 12 years. We are now looking at other lines. The free drinks from 5 to 8:30 don't mean much to me. I usually only drink after dinner. The free bottle of wine in the stateroom we take home a give away. The absurd cookies and nuts (doggie bag) are no reason to continue. We rarely attend welcome back parties.

We have always heard royal had the best entertainment. But now I'm hearing better things from other lines.

It sounds like change would do you good. It doesn't sound like RCL can live up to your expectations after so many cruises. Best of luck to you in your choice going forward.

Oy. I mean double Oy. Life is too short people to complain about these first world problems when you do six RCI cruises in one year.

I have a great tip...there are other cruise lines out there. And guess, what? There are other vacations out there too.

Next time you are in my part of town, I'll bring you some cheese with all your WHINE. :)

Exactly what type of problems would you expect to be discussed on a website that deals with multimillions dollar cruise ships and the people that sail on them?

It sounds like change would do you good. It doesn't sound like RCL can live up to your expectations after so many cruises. Best of luck to you in your choice going forward.

We need to demand standards, or things will continue to slip! Just telling people to move to another line, is part of the problem. We stopped Dynamic Dining and we CAN pressure (by our $$$$) to stop its present course and return to a company of high standards & regard to long time passengers.

Sadly, it appears to be a race to the bottom. Who knows, in ten more years, it may simply be a barge with 1000 cots and a vat of soup from which you can scoop your next meal. All for only $50 per person!

To me, the way to win Customers is to differentiate yourself from the competition. NOT a price war. While customers think they like low prices, a price war will not end good. Bankruptcy.

Simply provide quality goods and services, that's how you win Customers and sustain business. By exceeding expectations, you earn Customers that are worth keeping. Customers with money. Customers who care about quality goods and services.

Anyone can a provide low cost low frills vomit barge. That is not the market we should seek.

Also, like the boarding of aircraft with frequent flyer programs, virtually EVERYONE has been classified as the preferred status. When everyone has that status, it is the same as no one having that status.

The Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle groups are growing. That is a good sign of loyal Customers. However, if any service is perceived as being reduced to those Customers, bad things will happen.

1. We talk about 1st World Problems, because we live in the First World and not the slums of Calcutta!!!!

2. We talk about standards because we are the consumer and this is our hard earned money/time being spent to go on RCCL.

3. If you accept crap and mediocrity, you will get it and continually lessening standards!

Edited by gkbiiii

I guess you are one of those that just prepay and then walk away on the last night. I always prepay then if there are no issues tip more on the last night.

And BTW the Latte machine was broken during the day at least 2 days I know of. I guess we should have gone down to starbucks and paid for it?

You aren't seriously complaining about a latte machine, are U? I don't go on cruises for a latte and if you wanted it that bad just go buy one. Life goes on

My family and I always get a good laugh at Thurston Howell and Lovey as they parade around the cruise with a general air of displeasure and general grumpiness. They complain about the Scotch to Soda ratio in their drinks, that there isn't enough Bloody to go with their Mary, and they shouldn't let all of these kids on the ship.

The mainstream or big box cruise industry has changed. Royal won't tell you this but their key market is not you. The Family is the key market and who Royal and other mainstream lines hope to attract. Count the new family friendly activities, spaces and initiatives on new ships, they greatly outweigh exclusive lounges and spaces.

I am always amazed by these forums and how upset folks get over a stupid lounge or loss of a perk. Really? Are they that important? Do they make or break the trip? Get out and explore the ports and the world while at sea, enjoy life.

On a side note my 7 year old daughter is one cruise away from being Emerald. I estimate that before she graduates high school she will have easily surpassed the diamond level, but I hope and pray she never steps foot in the exclusive lounge or is concerned with her free perks, but instead is more concerned about the adventure and memories we make.

Lol thurston howell!! Hilarious but very true.

FYI

Loyalty Cruisers who are Diamond and above are not the target market for RCI and other lines. Look at what they do, not at what they say. Are Royal's newest and biggest ships geared towards the family or the long term loyal cruiser who likes a more refined and elegant experience?

Ripcord by IFLY

Rock climbing wall

Flow Rider surf simulator

Pool Deck Movie Screen

Bumper Cars

Roller skating

Basketball Courts

Circus School

North Star

H2O Zone

Dreamworks Experience

Adventure Ocean

I will continue to argue that the cruise demographic have changed and the continued loss of loyalty benefits, exclusive spaces, and the the lack of loyalty incentives is a clear sign that RCI is after a different market. The Middle Class Family is a much larger and growing market. Makes sense to me.

I just don't understand why all of the people that claim they don't care about what they receive versus what is advertised, or don't care about having amenities reduced, are even posting in this thread at all.

If you don't care about service and amenity standards why participate in a thread that deals with those topics?

Some of us do care about those items and welcome OP's post as "news from the front line" so that we can know what to expect in the future. And while there are more expensive and less expensive options out there, RC isn't exactly cheap and we all have the right to expect standards between what is advertised and what is delivered.

I think that too many of the "Don't care, not worth mentioning" crowd have effectively let RCI slip in their standards. People like OP hold them to their standards. Good for OP!

1. We talk about 1st World Problems, because we live in the First World and not the slums of Calcutta!!!!

2. We talk about standards because we are the consumer and this is our hard earned money/time being spent to go on RCCL.

3. If you accept crap and mediocrity, you will get it and continually lessening standards!

it's really not that serious compared to real issues in the world. Lol

it's really not that serious compared to real issues in the world. Lol

There is absolutely no thread on this forum, ever in its history, that is serious compared to real world issues. This ain't UNICEF.

Maybe the Costa Concordia thread.

"This was our 4th trip on this class, and our last unless they come up with an almost free cruise. And if royal continues their race to the bottom. Our royal days will be over. "

For those that want to continue to beat a dead horse after this, go ahead:rolleyes::eek:Why bother