Pre-ordered on-line wine package, doesn’t specifically benefit your winesteward!

Alphen

Pre-ordered on-line navigator wine package, does not specifically benefit your winesteward!

During our last cruise, we ordered our navigator wine package on-line, several months before our cruise. We like to do this, mainly because we can spread the costs of our cruise and in the case of this last cruise, benefit of the better Euro/Dollar rate in the early half of last year (which we did not know at that time by the way).

During the cruise, when serving our wine, our wine steward told us that because we pre-ordered our wine package, the service charge does not go specifically to the wine stewards and bar attendants, but goes to the larger general pool of crew, where all of the service charges go.

We did not know this, nor has anybody told us this before, nor have I read any of this anywhere on this board, so this is why I would like to share this knowledge.

For our next cruise(s), we will order our package on board, now we know this.

In order to spread the costs in advance, we just will be using dollar gift certificates to enlarge our OBC to facilitate this.

During the cruise, when serving our wine, our wine steward told us that because we pre-ordered our wine package, the service charge does not go specifically to the wine stewards and bar attendants, but goes to the larger general pool of crew, where all of the service charges go.

We did not know this, nor has anybody told us this before, nor have I read any of this anywhere on this board, so this is why I would like to share this knowledge.

I think you misunderstood what the wine steward stated ... or it has changed. I was told by a wine stewardess years ago (and have posted several times on CC) that the 15% on pre-ordered beverages goes into the bartender/bar-server pool, not the general HSC pool.

I asked about this not long after MDR Open Seating began, because before that I had presumed that the charges went to the specific steward/ess that served me in Fixed Seating, and wanted to know how it was handled for Open.

Edited by jtl513

I think you misunderstood what the wine steward stated ... or it has changed. I was told by a wine stewardess years ago (and have posted several times on CC) that the 15% on pre-ordered beverages goes into the bartender/bar-server pool, not the general HSC pool.

I asked about this not long after MDR Open Seating began, because before that I had presumed that the charges went to the specific steward/ess that served me in Fixed Seating, and wanted to know how it was handled for Open.

that's what I understood from what I was told as well.

that's what I understood from what I was told as well.
Just the fact that the amount built into the on-line prices is the same 15% makes me think that it is still going to the bar pool. Maybe the wine stewardess was confused. ;) Edited by jtl513

Pre-ordered on-line navigator wine package, does not specifically benefit your winesteward!

During our last cruise, we ordered our navigator wine package on-line, several months before our cruise. We like to do this, mainly because we can spread the costs of our cruise and in the case of this last cruise, benefit of the better Euro/Dollar rate in the early half of last year (which we did not know at that time by the way).

For our next cruise(s), we will order our package on board, now we know this.

In order to spread the costs in advance, we just will be using dollar gift certificates to enlarge our OBC to facilitate this.

I've always figured there is some kind of "performance points" system for the wine stewards and bar tenders, so we order the package onboard. That way, if there IS some sort of performance expectation the person serving our wine gets a bit of benefit.

A week into our SA/Antarctica cruise we were reamed out by the wine steward, at the dinner table, for purchasing the Navigator package. He said this meant they did not get any tips. At the time I was too embarrassed to ask for more details or to respond, but we did document it at length in the comments at the end of the cruise. Not a pleasant experience.

We have always ordered our package/s on board at our first dinner in the MDR, we felt it would give us a chance to chat with our wine steward, also we can ask about the specialty dinners, wine tastings, etc.

we do too. I'd rather see what the offerings are on board and then choose.

only takes a few seconds and the wine steward knows you will be using his/her services.

I prefer to buy the obc if I need it (who am I kidding,, I always need it) and use that to buy the wine package rather than pre purchase it.

Is there any chance that some wine stewards say they don't get tips on pre-orders in hopes that the pax will tip them in addition? Not a nice idea, of course, but I guess it could be a possibility.

I hate to say it, but I wondered the same. We've had good interactions with our wine stewards until the last HAL cruise. Won't hijack the thread with details, but there are bad apples in barrels sometimes.

I hate to say it, but I wondered the same. We've had good interactions with our wine stewards until the last HAL cruise. Won't hijack the thread with details, but there are bad apples in barrels sometimes.

I agree with your comments about the bad apples sometimes.

Over the years we've had some who were just not happy campers, a bit uppity, not friendly at all, not engaged in the job. For whatever reason....

However, I think the last few years, maybe two or three, the bar waiters have been a lot better. More personable, professional, more customer-orientated. Now we don't ever avoid a specific bar because of "that guy or lady is serving".

We experienced one personality turn-around that was spectacular: Explorations Cafe on two cruises, two months apart: really not a good attitude person. A year later, he had a complete make-over and was excellent!

For our upcoming 7 day cruise -We've ordered 5 bottles of our favorite wine choosing "Dining" rather than "Stateroom" for delivery. I'm sure the wait staff at dinner will bring the bottles to us as we desire them just like they've done on every other cruise we've taken. :)

We're not big wine critics but know what we like and order it in the MDR from the package we normally preorder.

I really don't feel a burning need to wait to order the wine from an onboard wine steward. There IS 15% "tip" that goes into the bar servers tip pool. Not needing any aid from the steward to choose our wines I don't feel a need to tip above and beyond that %.