Vancouver Disembarkation

david,Mississauga

We know Vancouver well and are familiar with the various ways of getting to the airport, but I have a few questions re: disembarkation. Our booked flight is at 1:15 p.m. We are in a Neptune accommodation and I understand we can get priority exit from the ship. We are travelling light so as an alternative we can easily take advantage of the "self help" disembarkation. If we take the latter can we leave at any time after it is announced or would we be expected to depart within a certain time-frame? Is there much time difference between the "self-help" call and the priority call? Of course we don't need to be first off the ship, but would like to be on our way to the airport by 10:00 or so. Is this reasonable?

Our last disembarkation in Vancouver was 43 years ago and we know Canada Place terminal is much busier than the previous Canadian Pacific Railway pier on the same site:). Thanks in advance for any comments from those who have arrived in Vancouver.

We had a time after 8 to disembark, went through customs, got a family of 4 in a taxi and were at the airport by 9:15 on a Wednesday morning in late August 2011.

we didn't use self disembark or any other special arrangements. We could have made a much earlier flight than the one we booked.

would like to be on our way to the airport by 10:00 or so. Is this reasonable?

Our last disembarkation in Vancouver was 43 years ago and we know Canada Place terminal is much busier than the previous Canadian Pacific Railway pier

Yes, the old terminal is gone in 1983... With today's subway, that is another option to get to the airport. However it means dragging your luggage 3 or 4 blocks to the train station.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/cms/binary/6531899.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6171/6153817079_5306307e49_z.jpg

You have ample time for your flight and breakfast...

• 1:15pm wheels up
  • 10:45am recommended arrival time at YVR for international flights (ideally 3hrs pre-flight for check-in, luggage, searches, declaration cards and congestion)
  • 10:10am latest you want to be in taxi
  • 9:45pm general time you want to be walking off the boat.

I think 10am will be doable.

Edited by xlxo

No need to rush. You could be one of the last people to leave the ship, and it wouldn't be 10:00 AM yet (assuming no undue delays, which Vancouver is not known for).

But in answer to one of your questions, if you do self-disembark, you must be in the first group to leave the ship.

We know Vancouver well and are familiar with the various ways of getting to the airport, but I have a few questions re: disembarkation. Our booked flight is at 1:15 p.m. We are in a Neptune accommodation and I understand we can get priority exit from the ship. We are travelling light so as an alternative we can easily take advantage of the "self help" disembarkation. If we take the latter can we leave at any time after it is announced or would we be expected to depart within a certain time-frame? Is there much time difference between the "self-help" call and the priority call? Of course we don't need to be first off the ship, but would like to be on our way to the airport by 10:00 or so. Is this reasonable?

Our last disembarkation in Vancouver was 43 years ago and we know Canada Place terminal is much busier than the previous Canadian Pacific Railway pier on the same site:). Thanks in advance for any comments from those who have arrived in Vancouver.

We sailed out of Vancouver on the Zaandam in a Neptune suite this past summer. As a Neptune guest you are allowed to disembark anytime after the ship is cleared up until the last time slot, which was about 9:50 am. When you get off the ship into the luggage hall, the Neptune luggage is in an area by itself closest to the gangway. You pick it up, go through immigration and off you go. There were tons of taxis available. I think it was about $35 for the taxi to the airport, and took about 20 minutes.

We found the whole experience to be very well organized. I think our flight was around 1:30 and we had lots of time with no rushing. You will be fine. Enjoy the cruise.

I self-disembark, partly because for me there is no charm in hanging around when the cruise is over, partly because I prefer to avoid the Customs/Immigration line up at the cruise terminal, and partly because if I get to the airport early I am prepared to pay a change fee to get an earlier flight, to get home earlier.

Doing self-disembark I am usually out of the terminal by 8 am, in a cab by 8:05 and at the airport by 8:30 - 8:40. Clearing Security at the airport seems to take as long as the cab ride sometimes ;)

Many thanks to all for sharing their experiences. Although I have walked around the "promenade" areas of the new pier many times and watched several ships arrive and depart, I have never been inside the terminal.

Thanks to XLXO for the links to the photos of the original pier. In the 1970s it was easy to visit ships during embarkation hours. On our holidays in Vancouver we had a few ship visits. P&O gave us a pass to go on board a liner heading to Australia - and encouraged us to have afternoon tea - with the warning: "Just be sure to get off when the quayside brass band plays Rule Britannia."

This is the Canadian Pacific Railway's Princess Patricia on which we cruised to Alaska in 1972.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/s-s-princess-patricia-and-the-first-love-boat-to-sail-from-los-angeles/comment-page-1/

The Alaska run has certainly changed. At that time there were only two ships making the run regularly from Vancouver, the second one being Canadian National Railway's Prince George. P&O had the Oronsay based in San Francisco. It called in Victoria, not Vancouver. That was it: three cruise ships. The season was shorter then as well; I believe it didn't start until June.

Am asking for friends. Can a 10:30AM flight to the US be made if they carry off their luggage? My big concern is security and US immigration at the Vancouver Airport. We, being the smart ones, (HA HA), are spending the night and going out the next day.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN

I self-disembark, partly because for me there is no charm in hanging around when the cruise is over, partly because I prefer to avoid the Customs/Immigration line up at the cruise terminal, and partly because if I get to the airport early I am prepared to pay a change fee to get an earlier flight, to get home earlier.

Doing self-disembark I am usually out of the terminal by 8 am, in a cab by 8:05 and at the airport by 8:30 - 8:40. Clearing Security at the airport seems to take as long as the cab ride sometimes ;)

This is so helpful to our situation. We are in a Neptune suite and will be doing self assist. Does "clearing security" at the airport also include the immigration process (separate from disembarkation from the ship)? The airport advises be there 3 hours ahead. What do you think is reasonable and realistic?

Edited by qsuzi

This is so helpful to our situation. We are in a Neptune suite and will be doing self assist. Does "clearing security" at the airport also include the immigration process (separate from disembarkation from the ship)? The airport advises be there 3 hours ahead. What do you think is reasonable and realistic?

I would stick to the 3 hours, just to be on safe side in case there is a long line up to go through security. YVR is a lovely airport with lots on "the other side" once you get through and if you have time to kill.

Will we need to apply for/get a Visitor's Visa if we disembark in Vancouver (San Diego cruise embarkation)? My understanding of the steps we need to complete are: we must complete our US declaration form prior to check-in. If we check-in online we can proceed to our airline check in counter or kiosk, drop off our bag, and then go through security.

Edited by qsuzi

If I recall correctly you will need a Canadian form to disembark at Canada Place and you will clear US Customs and Immigration at the Vancouver airport. They have the forms at the airport. They may have a program that gets you your airline boarding pass and puts your luggage on the airplane, next time you see it is at your destination. Very convenient for a small fee( $18 IIRC) plus baggage fees. Check your boarding pass, I got a wrong one one time, different seat.

If I recall correctly you will need a Canadian form to disembark at Canada Place and you will clear US Customs and Immigration at the Vancouver airport. They have the forms at the airport. They may have a program that gets you your airline boarding pass and puts your luggage on the airplane, next time you see it is at your destination. Very convenient for a small fee( $18 IIRC) plus baggage fees. Check your boarding pass, I got a wrong one one time, different seat.

We ARRIVE at Vancouver (not the airport) via the Westerdam and will go through immigration as we disembark the ship. In this case, will we need to clear US Customs and Immigration at the airport (YVR)? We are staying overnight in Vancouver and flying back to the US early the next morning. Do your details apply to our specifics?

We ARRIVE at Vancouver (not the airport) via the Westerdam and will go through immigration as we disembark the ship. In this case, will we need to clear US Customs and Immigration at the airport (YVR)? We are staying overnight in Vancouver and flying back to the US early the next morning. Do your details apply to our specifics?

Yes, with the exception that you would not be able to use Luggage Direct if it's offered in Vancouver.

When you arrive at the pier, you will clear Canadian Immigration & Customs, as that is the country you are entering.

When you go to the airport you will clear US Immigration & Customs, as they have US pre-clearance in that city (many cities in Canada do).

Yes, with the exception that you would not be able to use Luggage Direct if it's offered in Vancouver.

When you arrive at the pier, you will clear Canadian Immigration & Customs, as that is the country you are entering.

When you go to the airport you will clear US Immigration & Customs, as they have US pre-clearance in that city (many cities in Canada do).

Ruth you are a jewel :). I get the difference now. Thanks so much.