UDP and extra charge items

Beaver1975

How are extra charge items treated in the specialty restaurants if you have the Ultimate Dining Packag?

Things like lobster in Cagney's and steak for two in Le Bistro are usually an up charge ove the regular fee. Are they still an added fee for UDP participants? Or they included in the UDP?

Ugh! I'm a reading teacher, and I must have misread. Embarrassing! I thought I read in FAQ that the up charge items, like the seafood tower in LeBistro, were still an up charge. By the way, did anyone else notice the price next week for Le Bistro is $49 pp? When I questioned this, I was told it was a Valentine's Day special. When I pointed out I wasn't booking on Vday, the service rep had no answer.....

Unfortunately, there seem to be two slightly different versions of the "official" FAQs about this.

Both state that there is no upcharge for the extra-price entrees.

(What that means in practice is that the upcharge shows, along with the basic restaurant charge, and then all of it is zero'd out by the UDP.)

One of them states that in *both* Cagney's and Le Bistro, there will be a charge for a second entree ("seconds" of other courses are always included at no additional charge); the other states that will happen only in Cagney's.

Here is how it was implemented over the holidays recently:

In Le Bistro, there was *NOT* any additional cost for one person ordering two entree's.

I had the seafood "entree" as a starter, and then had a filet as my regular entree.

On the "bill" in Le Bistro, everything was itemized as though there was no UDP (upcharge items, and extra entree, for example), and then everything was zero'd out by the UDP.

We assume that there would have been an extra remaining "charge" had one person ordered two entrees at Cagney's, but we didn't do that.

Next trip, we'll do that experiment in the interest of science ;)

The only thing we 'paid' for was an extra tip.

We found a wonderful waiter, and kept asking for his table when we ate there.

We feel privileged to be able to cruise, and are happy to share a bit extra with those who work hard to help us have an especially good time.

We do the same on land: recognition for any type of service done especially well

GeezerCouple

Geezer, I've dined with someone who had two entrees in Cagneys. He was charged an extra $10. There are also special entrees in Le Bistro, the seafood tower and maybe steak for two, which is $10 above the normal charge. I believe you'd be charged for this on UDP, too. There is definitely no extra charge for extra apps and desserts. I routinely order two shrimp cocktails in Cagneys cuz they're so good and I think u only get 4 shrimp per cocktail. In Le Bistro, I order the mushroom soup, escargots and prob everything else! Next week, I may order the seafood tower....a fellow cruiser did on my last trip, and it really was a tower!

How are extra charge items treated in the specialty restaurants if you have the Ultimate Dining Packag?

Things like lobster in Cagney's and steak for two in Le Bistro are usually an up charge ove the regular fee. Are they still an added fee for UDP participants? Or they included in the UDP?

Dining Terms & Conditions

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

Geezer, I've dined with someone who had two entrees in Cagneys. He was charged an extra $10. There are also special entrees in Le Bistro, the seafood tower and maybe steak for two, which is $10 above the normal charge. I believe you'd be charged for this on UDP, too. There is definitely no extra charge for extra apps and desserts. I routinely order two shrimp cocktails in Cagneys cuz they're so good and I think u only get 4 shrimp per cocktail. In Le Bistro, I order the mushroom soup, escargots and prob everything else! Next week, I may order the seafood tower....a fellow cruiser did on my last trip, and it really was a tower!

You may "believe" that someone would be charged the extra $10 at Le Bistro for this, with the UDP.

All I am stating is that we DID THIS, and yes, there was a "charge", but it was zero'd out entirely by the UDP when the bill was processed.

And I stated that our understanding was that only at Cagney's would there be any such extra charge, but not at Le Bistro, despite one set of FAQs that include both of those specialties when describing the surcharge with UDP.

The FAQ that mentions only Cagney's, but no such actual charge-to-be-paid at Le Bistro, is apparently the correct one, per our experience recently.

We ordered lots of "extra charge" entrees in Le Bistro, and they were always zero'd out too, by the UDP. As was the "extra" extra charge for the "extra" "extra-charge entree" the time we did that.

NO charges to be really paid for, at Le Bistro.

(Apparently, at Cagney's, there would indeed be an extra charge for an extra entree, but not for upcharged entrees if someone orders just one.)

And that was about a month ago.

There are not extra charges (thus far, anyway) at the specialty restaurants for extra appetizers or desserts, even without the UDP. (The only possible extra charges are for entrees.)

GeezerCouple

Dining Terms & Conditions

Ultimate Dining Package

The Ultimate Dining Package is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bakery items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, 24/7 Pizza Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

This is part of the problem.

There is a SECOND version of the FAQs that only states "Cagney's" instead of both "Cagney's and Le Bistro".

(We've seen both 'versions'.)

Last month (early January), in Le Bistro, we had more than two entrees for just two of us, and the charge was listed on the bill along with the basic charge for Le Bistro, and ALL of the charges were zero'd out by the UDP.

The total amount due was $0.00.

I'd be very interested to learn if someone with the UDP ordered two entrees at le Bistro and *was* charged extra that they had to pay (that is, it wasn't zero'd out on the actual bill such that nothing really needed to be paid).

That would be very instructive (and confusing, given our recent experience).

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

So when you have the UDP -no up charge for the specialty items or two entrees. What if you dine at cagneys and then later that evening go to another speciality rest for desert is that extra or included?

My understanding is that this is one of the big benefits of UDP...you can have an appetizer at one restaurant, an entree at another and still yet desert somewhere else if you choose (space available of course). If you are in a suite and decide you want dessert delivered to your room after the show, you can do that free of charge as well. ;)

Geezer, on the bottom of the Le Bistro menu it states that additional entrees are $10. In the middle of the menu, in the Specials section, it states the specials are an extra $10 above the cover charge. How this works with UDP is a mystery.

Geezer, on the bottom of the Le Bistro menu it states that additional entrees are $10. In the middle of the menu, in the Specials section, it states the specials are an extra $10 above the cover charge. How this works with UDP is a mystery.

What is written on the menus is meant for "regular paying diners".

Yes, it isn't at all clear about what, if any of that, applies to UDP.

We were pretty sure that the 'upcharge' (extra-pay) entrees wouldn't cost extra with the UDP.

What we were not at all sure about was that possible charge for an extra entree, given that we'd seen two different versions of the FAQs as I described above.

So... when we (that would be "me" :)) ordered an entree as an 'appetizer' and then ordered a regular (and upcharge) entree, we figured, OK, if they charge us extra, so be it...

When we saw the bill, sure enough, there was the extra entree charge.

We said nothing, not wanting to spoil a wonderful meal and amazing cruise.

We handed our cards over, with the UDP stickers.

And when the "receipt" came back, everything was zero'd out, and there was, in the end, no charge at all.

GeezerCouple

Well, I'm not planning on two entrees,but that seafood tower looked amazing! I'm annoyed at myself for even thinking about next weeks dinners! I think that's the sin of gluttony, but the fun of planning.....

I guess I missed the "seafood tower" :(

What I did was get the seafood in pastry as my starter. (The pastry wasn't all that light, so I really ate the "seafood", which was quite good, but not stellar.)

Then I had my "meat dish", the filet.

At another meal, we had the steak for two, and it was huge, but not particularly tender.

We both agreed that of the steak dishes, the filet in Le Bistro was by far the best.

We've been told it is the same as what is served in Cagney's but that wasn't our experience. I'm sure there is a lot of variability in terms of the specific piece of meat and how it is cooked, even if there shouldn't be.

The Coq au Vin was the sleeper... if we closed our eyes, we could imagine being in a fine, traditional restaurant in France.

The flavor and texture of the sauce was terrific, and the chicken was as tender as it could be. (And we aren't usually that fond of chicken.)

Yes, it's fun planning. We already are, and our next cruise is quite a ways off.

(Next stop is a land trip to northern Italy. Tough choices, those travel destinations...;))

GeezerCouple

I have a question pertaining to UDP. My DH and I are going on the Breakaway 10/18. My mother and sister are also going. We chose UDP. They chose UBP. We want to dine together at the specialty restaurants. When the reservations open up before the cruise date, can I reserve for 4 without incurring charges on credit card for the two who don't have UDP?

Yes you may reserve 4 with paying on your card. We enjoyed the UDP On the Star a few weeks ago. I made reservations for 4 before we left for every night. Didn't ask if the other two had UDP or not. No payment until after dinner. No problem. Enjoy.

I have a question pertaining to UDP. My DH and I are going on the Breakaway 10/18. My mother and sister are also going. We chose UDP. They chose UBP. We want to dine together at the specialty restaurants. When the reservations open up before the cruise date, can I reserve for 4 without incurring charges on credit card for the two who don't have UDP?

A person with UDP can make advance reservations online for up to 8 people, and there is no charge as long as the one making the reservation has UDP. The system has no clue who the people are that will be going to the restaurant. For example, f you are a party of 2, you can make the reservation for 5, 6, 8, or whatever and then meet people at the pool to take with you. Since the system doesn't even know who is going, it certainly can't know if they have UDP or not. At the end of the meal, everyone will give their cards to the server, and it all gets settled up.

Edited by LrgPizza

This thread has probably confused more than answer the OP question. Very simple and straightforward answer. With UDP there are NO additional charges regardless of how much or what you eat or how many specialties you visit in one evening.

This thread has probably confused more than answer the OP question. Very simple and straightforward answer. With UDP there are NO additional charges regardless of how much or what you eat or how many specialties you visit in one evening.
Yes, it has digressed a bit, but if you read my 3 word reply in the 2nd response in this thread, that's about as straightforward as you can get.