UDP and extra charge items

Beaver1975

Why is there a 20% discount for the "not included " venues before 7/2 but 25% after? Also why is the Noodle Bar still in the extra charge group when I think it's complementary now??

Because they haven't updated their info on their website.

Harriet

The Noodle Bar is still a la carte. It's the ASIAN restaurant that's now complimentary.

Not according to this press release from NCL

NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE ADDS COMPLIMENTARY RESTAURANTS ACROSS FLEET

Guests now have the freedom to enjoy a multitude of complimentary Asian dining venues fleetwide

Miami - Apr 13, 2015 ---

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that many of the line's popular Asian dining venues can now be enjoyed on a complimentary basis across the fleet. Guest favorites like Shanghai's Noodle Bar aboard Norwegian's Breakaway Class ships and Norwegian Epic, Jasmine Garden aboard Norwegian Jade, Chin Chin aboard Norwegian Jewel and more will join the extensive list of complimentary dining venues available to Freestyle cruising guests.

As a part of the Norwegian NEXT program, Norwegian Cruise Line is investing significantly into enhancing guests' dining experience onboard and offering even more culinary options to provide the best cruise vacation experience. As a part of these new initiatives, the cover charge and à la carte pricing for many Asian dining concepts across the fleet has been eliminated to further enhance guest satisfaction and provide guests more freedom to create their ideal cruise vacation.

"Norwegian's Freestyle Dining is the most fun and flexible way for guests to enjoy some of the best dining experiences at sea, when they want and how they want," said Andy Stuart, president and chief operating officer of Norwegian Cruise Line. "We are thrilled to continue that legacy by providing guests with more of the food they have come to love and enjoy with the introduction of fleetwide complimentary Asian cuisine."

Guests cruising aboard Norwegian's Freestyle Cruising ships can indulge in favorites like fried rice, spicy seafood udon noodles, steamed pork dumplings and more free of charge at the following venues:

-Orchid Garden, Norwegian Gem

-Lotus Garden, Norwegian Pearl

-Chin Chin, Norwegian Jewel

-Jasmine Garden, Norwegian Jade

-Shanghai's, Norwegian Epic

-Shanghai's Noodle Bar, Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway

-East Meets West, Pride of America

-Shogun, Norwegian Spirit

-Bamboo, Norwegian Dawn

-Ginza, Norwegian Star

-Shangai's Noodle Bar, Norwegian Epic

Norwegian's popular Teppanyaki restaurants will continue to provide guests with the showmanship and culinary delights of Japanese iron-griddle cooking for a per guest cover charge, and Sushi venues across the fleet will retain nominal à la carte pricing.

For more information on the wide array of culinary options available aboard Norwegian ships and to book a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line, contact a travel professional, call Norwegian at 888-NCL-CRUISE (625-2784), or visit http://www.ncl.com.

A person with UDP can make advance reservations online for up to 8 people, and there is no charge as long as the one making the reservation has UDP. The system has no clue who the people are that will be going to the restaurant. For example, f you are a party of 2, you can make the reservation for 5, 6, 8, or whatever and then meet people at the pool to take with you. Since the system doesn't even know who is going, it certainly can't know if they have UDP or not. At the end of the meal, everyone will give their cards to the server, and it all gets settled up.

How would we go about making reservations for 10? Can we do two reservations for 5 and have them linked? Would we have to do them through two different reservations?

All 10 will have UDP, but we'll be in two cabins and want to dine together.

Why is there a 20% discount for the "not included " venues before 7/2 but 25% after? Also why is the Noodle Bar still in the extra charge group when I think it's complementary now??

Maybe it's their way of "making up" for taking away the free first night dinner show. ;)

• 5 weeks later...
The up charge items are included. However, if you wish for a 2nd entree there is a $10.00 fee in which 18% gratuity will be added to that $10.00.

Harriet

this makes sense and how I also interpret it.

but a previous poster said he had 2 main entrees at cagney's (bass + filet) and didn't get charged the extra $10 :confused:

but a previous poster said he had 2 main entrees at cagney's (bass + filet) and didn't get charged the extra $10 :confused:

This is possible from what I understand. The upcharge items are 3 or 4 specialty dinners and those are the dinners that there is the $10.00 upcharge.

I believe you can get two entrees so long as it's not one of the 3 or 4 that are listed with the $10.00 upcharge.

Harriet

There are always going to be exceptions to any rule, because the servers don't always stick to the terms. But the terms are as written.

I overheard a Bistro waiter explaining to a UDP diner that they could have the extra charge items once on the cruise but not again. This repeat prohibition may have applied just to the Bistro and not to Cagneys. Also, I am not sure if this was actually true.

This was on the Pearl on the May 7-17 Alaska cruise.

I would LOVE to try using the UDP for dinner in one restaurant and dessert in another. Then I could eat anywhere and go to La Cucina for an Affogato dessert (my favorite dessert on NCL)

Can someone clue me in on the Chef's Table? I don't see anywhere on the ncl.com dining options to reserve this or what it has on it. I have the UDP on a July 2015 cruise and know that it would probably cost extra. How do I reserve it or at least take a look at whether this would be good to go to.

Can someone clue me in on the Chef's Table? I don't see anywhere on the ncl.com dining options to reserve this or what it has on it. I have the UDP on a July 2015 cruise and know that it would probably cost extra. How do I reserve it or at least take a look at whether this would be good to go to.

yes, it's extra on top of the udp.

I don't know the price though.

menu:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/chef.pdf

I believe the Chef's table is in the $70-$80 range.....per person. From my understanding it can be booked once on board but they have a very limited number of slots.

It's over $90 now. $99 maybe and yes, seats are very limited. We've done it 3 times on Jewel class ships and there were only 12 each time. You do have to book onboard.

Edited by emcelh