Driving to POM...is driving in Miami as scary as I'm imagining??

CnKinChatt

Planning to drive to Port of Miami this June. Can anyone tell me if access to the port is the nightmare I'm imagining? Planning to get somewhere about 30-60 minutes shy of POM the day before sailing and then drive on in as early as we can that morning. Will be using a GPS so I'm not worried about not finding it...more worried about dealing with insane traffic. Any advice from people that have done this before? I'm not a "nervous driver" and used to live in a heavily populated area of NJ and did fine there...Miami just seems kind of terrifying though. Am I making this worse than it really is??

Driving to POM is easy. Well marked and very few turns. There is some traffic just outside the port entrance, but otherwise nothing to worry about.

And you will avoid that traffic if you follow the signs to the new Port tunnel via I-395 East rather than follow your GPS which likely has not been updated with the new route and will take you through downtown.

Greetings

Just note that the tunnel exit is from the left lanes of I-395. I have seen others cut completely across traffic when they discover they are in the wrong lane. This makes for some interesting gestures from the other drivers :).

Good Sailing

Tom

cutting across 4 or 5 lanes is OK in Miami as long as you wave a hand in that direction .... happens several times every time I drive on Biscayne Blvd! The hand wave CAN happen AFTER the lane swoop . . . use of a turn signal is considered inappropriate.

Edited by Capt_BJ

if a week day, avoid rush hour if at all possible, but 95 is gonna be busy all day just as it would be thru New York. Listen to local radio/tv for traffic alerts and if you have a computer consult the traffic site I linked. I'd wait 'til after 9:30 am . . .

We did FTTF last year on the Breeze and we were on board, and in our cabin, by 11-11:30! We got it again this year and I would highly recommend it. The new tunnel appears to be the way to go, as far as traffic goes. We know some folks that missed the boat a couple of years ago, trying to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, so I would allow plenty of time, no matter where you are coming from. Although, it was during the "Zombie face-eating" episode that took place on the expressway and shut everything down! I would prefer to sit in the cruise terminal and wait, any day, than miss the boat..See y'all in 128 days!

We did FTTF last year on the Breeze and we were on board, and in our cabin, by 11-11:30! We got it again this year and I would highly recommend it. The new tunnel appears to be the way to go, as far as traffic goes. We know some folks that missed the boat a couple of years ago, trying to get to Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, so I would allow plenty of time, no matter where you are coming from. Although, it was during the "Zombie face-eating" episode that took place on the expressway and shut everything down! I would prefer to sit in the cruise terminal and wait, any day, than miss the boat..See y'all in 128 days!

I was talking to a Carnival rep over the weekend and was told the FTTF passes were already sold out:/ Was so looking forward to that. We WILL start really early though...don't want to take any chances!

Here's to no zombies and an amazing cruise! [emoji41][emoji295]️