Gratuities

Ocean boy, that information doesn't show on my tablet so I still don't have an answer lol!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

One of the hazards of using third party apps. Although I use all three, I prefer my laptop to my iPad or phone for the browser.

I think the increase is a good thing. I've always been a 20% tipper, at minimum for average service and have always added an additional tip whenever the "included" tip is less than 20%. What I do wish is that the bartenders were actually receiving the tips.

My guess is that they increased the amount because bartenders have complained about low wages since the packages have come out. And from reading this board, I've been pretty disgusted to see how many people not only don't tip extra, but actually REMOVE their onboard tips entirely. I get it that in theory tips should be given for good service, but in the cruise industry they are used differently...because they can be. Cruise operators offer free room and board for the employees, but they don't pay them a salary (I asked several of our waiters on our last cruise). They rely 100% on tips. I don't mind adding an additional $300 or $400 to my spending money in order to cover this. Sure, I'd rather just pay it as part of my cruise fee and know the employees were getting a salary, but they aren't. So I include that additional cost myself. In fact after reading how cheap so many cruisers are in this dept. (Especially the ones from the UK), I am sorry that I didn't tip MORE last time. I gave all 3 waiters and my room attendant an additional $40, but after thinking how much I'd have paid on an equitable dinner if I'd gotten a bill and calculated my tip, especially with the great service I received, I would have tipped far more than that in "real life" and plan to make sure I bring an extra $100 bucks for all of them on my next cruise to make up for all the cheap tippers complaining about an extra $1.50 a day. Give me a break. If you think that's too much, then downgrade your room category to give you the extra money for tips. I even make sure my daughter has a pocket full of dollar bills and have taught her from a young age to give a couple bucks to bartenders for her sodas, and I have her hand her own money to bus and taxi drivers and porters and room service people when we're on vacation.

Speaking as a brit, who always pre-pays tips and more. I take exception to your comment that we are cheap. I am sure this applies to the majority of British cruisers who choose RCI as our preferred cruiseline. My children are also brought up to recognise good service and despite tips not being required here in the UK we ALWAYS tip for good service despite where we may be in the world.

Angela & Ian

Wow!

Question can you remove the tip from the package when you are on board, like you can with the main grats that are charged.

If the answer is no as some have stated then it's a price increase period.

If the answer is yes then Royal are scum in my opinion. These people work really hard and deserve a raise like everyone else. So you are giving them a "conditional" raise that some one can take a way. Just freaking raise the base price and pay these people! Why are they leaving it to the people that can take it away.

Ok so previous poster is saying they are 100% paid by tips, that is not what our waiters told us. Plus its does not seem to add up for me.

6000 guess on Oasis class $12/7day is $504,000 divide that up by 1600 guest employees that $315/week. If they are working 60 hours a week they are only getting what $5/hour.

This is all such BS back and forth arguments. Trying to calculate all this stuff. It should be up to the employer to ensure their employees are paid well. If they need a raise give it to them and raise the price. This way they raise tips and and some people are pissed and take it out on workers and that's not fair.

I think these people should be paid a decent wage, not one that can be taken away by cheap people that can't appreciate the hard work it takes to serve them. If they do extra then tip them cash and you know they are getting it not being split god knows how many ways. We had an amazing waiter of Sabor, made our night, was amazing with our daughter. So on a $24 bill I gave him a $10 bill. Do I always tip so high, no, but in this case he deserved it and earn it as did others we tipped extra. On the other hand the rude waitress that snap at my DW in the MDR because she wasn't ready to order. But do I think I should take away her $4/hour for doing her hard job...NO WAY

I'm guessing it's just poor cruise employees. I was brought up that it is extremely rude to ask what something costs let alone to question someone on how much and how they are paid. In some countries it's even considered to personal to ask a random person what they do for a living. So I'm not sure where the people who are asking the people that are there in a position where it would be tricky and possibly get them a bad rating to not answer questions on how much they are paid.

I'm guessing it's just poor cruise employees. I was brought up that it is extremely rude to ask what something costs let alone to question someone on how much and how they are paid. In some countries it's even considered to personal to ask a random person what they do for a living. So I'm not sure where the people who are asking the people that are there in a position where it would be tricky and possibly get them a bad rating to not answer questions on how much they are paid.

I can see where you're coming from, as I would be offended if someone asked me how much money I make as well. However in my case, the information was offered to us after we asked the waiters how we could give them their tips because we assumed we could hand deliver them in an envelope (our prior cruise in 2004 did it this way, but in 2013 they had switched to charging them to your account and we were confused). We had become very friendly with the waiters as they tended to hang out at our table for a good portion of the meal every night because we liked talking to them and asking them where they were from and for recommendations for port day excursions etc. When we told them that we hadn't gotten envelopes to tip them towards the end of our trip they explained how it worked, we didn't come right out and ask. I wish the cruise line would be more forthcoming in this regard though, because I think many people assume they are getting paid a salary and don't like being forced to tip. As a previous poster said, we should call it a supplemental fee instead of a tip, because that's really what it is. On one hand it's nice because it's spreading the cost of employee salaries to those who utilize them the most (say at the bar for instance- the heavy drinkers pay the most because tney use them the most), but in other cases, that's not true since a lot of people just simply don't like to share their money.

PS- the waiters also offered that the automatic tipping was done to help them out since prior to automatic tipping, when people had the option to hand over envelopes with the "recommended" tips...people simply walked off the ship and didn't tip. This is when he explained that the tips were their sole source of salary (besides free room and board) and that they made more money when people were required to tip. However it sounds like lots of people have taken a stance that they don't like the cruise line's policy of forcing tips and just remove them anyway. While I'm sure it sounds nice to protest on behalf of the employees in hopes that the cruise line will start paying them a wage, all those people are really doing is excusing their cheapness and making the employees suffer. Taking this stance against the cruise line does not help the employees and it likely never will. You're better off paying additional cash funds on top of auto tips in order to ensure the person helping you all week gets their share and the cruise line isn't skimming off the top (I don't know if they do this...just saying), and then maybe write a letter expressing your discontent. But don't justify your cheapness by pretending it's some great stance against policy.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

We had become very friendly with the waiters as they tended to hang out at our table for a good portion of the meal every night because we liked talking to them and asking them where they were from and for recommendations for port day excursions etc. ....

On one hand it's nice because it's spreading the cost of employee salaries to those who utilize them the most (say at the bar for instance- the heavy drinkers pay the most because tney use them the most), but in other cases, that's not true since a lot of people just simply don't like to share their money.

It's a good thing you tip so generously since you are taking up most of the waiters time with them hanging out at your table for a good portion of the

meal every night.

If you really want to help them out tell them you know they are busy and you'll talk to them later so they can take care of the other diners. They already had your money at hello.

I'm sure you are very special people but the type of banter you had with them is one of the ways they make their tips. I bet the majority of the people on this board have had the same conversation with their wait staff. Let me guess, they liked you so much they did tricks with tooth picks, silverware, wine corks......

They wait staff are some of the nicest people on the ship. I like talking with them but I let them tend to others because I know they are getting my gratuity.

I think the increase is a good thing. I've always been a 20% tipper, at minimum for average service and have always added an additional tip whenever the "included" tip is less than 20%. What I do wish is that the bartenders were actually receiving the tips.

My guess is that they increased the amount because bartenders have complained about low wages since the packages have come out. And from reading this board, I've been pretty disgusted to see how many people not only don't tip extra, but actually REMOVE their onboard tips entirely. I get it that in theory tips should be given for good service, but in the cruise industry they are used differently...because they can be. Cruise operators offer free room and board for the employees, but they don't pay them a salary (I asked several of our waiters on our last cruise). They rely 100% on tips. I don't mind adding an additional $300 or $400 to my spending money in order to cover this. Sure, I'd rather just pay it as part of my cruise fee and know the employees were getting a salary, but they aren't. So I include that additional cost myself. In fact after reading how cheap so many cruisers are in this dept. (Especially the ones from the UK), I am sorry that I didn't tip MORE last time. I gave all 3 waiters and my room attendant an additional $40, but after thinking how much I'd have paid on an equitable dinner if I'd gotten a bill and calculated my tip, especially with the great service I received, I would have tipped far more than that in "real life" and plan to make sure I bring an extra $100 bucks for all of them on my next cruise to make up for all the cheap tippers complaining about an extra $1.50 a day. Give me a break. If you think that's too much, then downgrade your room category to give you the extra money for tips. I even make sure my daughter has a pocket full of dollar bills and have taught her from a young age to give a couple bucks to bartenders for her sodas, and I have her hand her own money to bus and taxi drivers and porters and room service people when we're on vacation.

Yes! I agree with you 100% & do the same. We always tip our servers & cabin steward at least an additional $50 on a 7 day cruise & with or without a drink package, we add $1 a drink.

I'm completely disgusted with the attitude toward tipping/gratuities/service charge reflected on these boards. There is no amount of money that could get me to do the jobs these people do let alone doing it with a smile. I will do everything I can to make sure they now I appreciate their hard work & that means cash.

It's a good thing you tip so generously since you are taking up most of the waiters time with them hanging out at your table for a good portion of the

meal every night.

If you really want to help them out tell them you know they are busy and you'll talk to them later so they can take care of the other diners. They already had your money at hello.

I'm sure you are very special people but the type of banter you had with them is one of the ways they make their tips. I bet the majority of the people on this board have had the same conversation with their wait staff. Let me guess, they liked you so much they did tricks with tooth picks, silverware, wine corks......

They wait staff are some of the nicest people on the ship. I like talking with them but I let them tend to others because I know they are getting my gratuity.

It's quite possible and highly likely that this is true, but I don't care if they were being nice just to get tips. I'm sure they have to, because a lot of people on the ship are entitled and demanding and crabby and difficult to deal with and the waiters are probably so afraid of making anyone unhappy lest they lose their tips because of it, that they go overboard with friendliness to make sure they get their tips. I feel sorry for them that they feel the need to demean themselves this way. And as for keeping them at our table and away from others, they tended to congregate around us all on their own. They hung around and started the conversations and told us many times how refreshing our table was compared to most others, which were full of less friendly and more demanding guests (of course as you said, they easily could have been just saying this to cozy up...who knows, and again, I don't care, as I would have tipped them anyway, even if they were crabby or too busy to chat). It's likely they didn't assume we had any sort of extra money anyway, since our entire table was filled with people under the age of 25 (besides myself). They happened to get lucky that we all had money, but if I were in the service industry, our table would have been the last I would have expected to get extra tips out of, just because of our young age group. As I said before, whether they hung around and made friends with us or not, they would have gotten additional money from me anyway. Perhaps if you've found that waiters are too busy to service you, consider that you may be one of those crabby demanding passengers they're trying to avoid.

Yes! I agree with you 100% & do the same. We always tip our servers & cabin steward at least an additional $50 on a 7 day cruise & with or without a drink package, we add $1 a drink.

I'm completely disgusted with the attitude toward tipping/gratuities/service charge reflected on these boards. There is no amount of money that could get me to do the jobs these people do let alone doing it with a smile. I will do everything I can to make sure they now I appreciate their hard work & that means cash.

Completely agree!

It's quite possible and highly likely that this is true, but I don't care if they were being nice just to get tips. I'm sure they have to, because a lot of people on the ship are entitled and demanding and crabby and difficult to deal with and the waiters are probably so afraid of making anyone unhappy lest they lose their tips because of it, that they go overboard with friendliness to make sure they get their tips. I feel sorry for them that they feel the need to demean themselves this way.

Why do you even want to cruise on these ships that are so full of entitled, demanding, crabby, and difficult to deal with people? It is interesting how you blow your own horn while you knock others. Maybe you truly are as wonderful to be around as you say. And then maybe...

It's quite possible and highly likely that this is true, but I don't care if they were being nice just to get tips. I'm sure they have to, because a lot of people on the ship are entitled and demanding and crabby and difficult to deal with and the waiters are probably so afraid of making anyone unhappy lest they lose their tips because of it, that they go overboard with friendliness to make sure they get their tips. I feel sorry for them that they feel the need to demean themselves this way. And as for keeping them at our table and away from others, they tended to congregate around us all on their own. They hung around and started the conversations and told us many times how refreshing our table was compared to most others, which were full of less friendly and more demanding guests (of course as you said, they easily could have been just saying this to cozy up...who knows, and again, I don't care, as I would have tipped them anyway, even if they were crabby or too busy to chat). It's likely they didn't assume we had any sort of extra money anyway, since our entire table was filled with people under the age of 25 (besides myself). They happened to get lucky that we all had money, but if I were in the service industry, our table would have been the last I would have expected to get extra tips out of, just because of our young age group. As I said before, whether they hung around and made friends with us or not, they would have gotten additional money from me anyway. Perhaps if you've found that waiters are too busy to service you, consider that you may be one of those crabby demanding passengers they're trying to avoid.

You seemed concerned about the compensation the wait staff receives. I gave you information on what you could do to help them make more money. I try not to take up more of their time than is necessary so they can help more demanding people or the people that like to feel like they are now friends and not customers. Like I said, I already know they are going to be compensated by me.

Why do you even want to cruise on these ships that are so full of entitled, demanding, crabby, and difficult to deal with people? It is interesting how you blow your own horn while you knock others. Maybe you truly are as wonderful to be around as you say. And then maybe...

I never said I was wonderful to be around. I simply said that the waiters told us we were nice to visit with, and I also said it's entirely possible that they were lying. I also said that they were the ones telling us that other guests were demanding and crabby. I like people. And in general I can get along with anybody, whether they're crabby or not. I do find that as a rule, people are entitled and rude to service workers, but not everyone is that way. I'm sure I've been guilty of making service workers feel that way at some point too, inadvertently, maybe I didn't look them in the eye or maybe I ignored them and didn't say thanks when they filled my drink etc. People aren't always purposely rude to others, but anyone dealing with that large amount of customers on a daily basis is bound to feel demeaned and treated badly at some point and I'm sure for their sake it's nice to come across people who are overly friendly to make up for it. Just as you ask why I cruise with so many crabby people (even though I don't think that- you put words in my mouth based on a statement that was an extension of a previous post where I mentioned that the staff had told us this was the case...not to mention it is evident from reading these boards that there ARE crabby and entitled people on board. But that does not mean I feel overwhelmed on the ship by crabby people, because I do not feel that way), I wonder why so many people who think $70 or $200 extra dollars for tipping is too much continue to cruise or take vacation when they clearly can't afford it.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

You seemed concerned about the compensation the wait staff receives. I gave you information on what you could do to help them make more money. I try not to take up more of their time than is necessary so they can help more demanding people or the people that like to feel like they are now friends and not customers. Like I said, I already know they are going to be compensated by me.

That's true, I guess it didn't occur to me to tell them to go away, as I would have felt rude in doing so. But I can see your point in saying that helping them to feel like it was ok to not stop and chat with us so much was safe for them and will consider doing that if it happens again on our next cruise.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I never said I was wonderful to be around. I simply said that the waiters told us we were nice to visit with, and I also said it's entirely possible that they were lying. I also said that they were the ones telling us that other guests were demanding and crabby. I like people. And in general I can get along with anybody, whether they're crabby or not. I do find that as a rule, people are entitled and rude to service workers, but not everyone is that way. I'm sure I've been guilty of making service workers feel that way at some point too, inadvertently, maybe I didn't look them in the eye or maybe I ignored them and didn't say thanks when they filled my drink etc. People aren't always purposely rude to others, but anyone dealing with that large amount of customers on a daily basis is bound to feel demeaned and treated badly at some point and I'm sure for their sake it's nice to come across people who are overly friendly to make up for it. Just as you ask why I cruise with so many crabby people (even though I don't think that- you put words in my mouth), I wonder why so many people who think $70 or $200 extra dollars for tipping is too much continue to cruise or take vacation when they clearly can't afford it.

Actually, I didn't put words in your mouth. You said "a lot of people on the ship are entitled and demanding and crabby and difficult to deal with." Those are your words, not mine.

It is just cruisers who spend so much time talking with staff about how, and how much, they are paid or is this the norm through out the travel and vacation industry?

It's not just the cruisers. We had a cabin attendant a few years ago who unprovoked kept wanting to talk about the gratuities system and changes that maybe coming. I didn't want to hear it but the wife was trying to be polite and listened as he rambled. She even got mad at me because of my facial expression of disdain every time he brought it up. OK, mention it once and it's almost OK. Multiple times and now it's just annoying. If he hadn't done such a good job, we probably would have reported him. So there are some employees that just can't help themselves.

Actually, I didn't put words in your mouth. You said "a lot of people on the ship are entitled and demanding and crabby and difficult to deal with." Those are your words, not mine.

See my edit- as I elaborated on that statement, knowing this would be your reply). I don't feel overwhelmed by crabby cruisers on board. I was told by staff that they felt overwhelmed by crabby cruisers and made that statement based on that. But I do admit that after reading so many posts on this board, I do think there are a lot of entitled and crabby travelers. I don't feel overwhelmed by them on the ship, but if I did I can assure you I wouldn't continue to cruise. But I also am unlikely to let other people's attitudes on their respective vacations ruin my own. I like to travel and I like to cruise. I enjoy my time and I enjoy meeting new people and I enjoy the people I travel with. That's why I keep going :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

It is just cruisers who spend so much time talking with staff about how, and how much, they are paid or is this the norm through out the travel and vacation industry?

I dunno, but this exact same thread has been played out on the Disney forums too. :D

yes, I definitely think we will see it being applied to single drinks as well. Someone also reported this morning that the daily gratuity rate will be increasing as well for all stateroom categories.

I paid my cruise off today and, on my updated booking confirmation, it still says that a 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverages, mini bar, spa & salon purchases, so no sign of an increase yet.

I dont believe such a list exists. Not to us, the consumer, anyway.

They dont even provide a breakdown of the regular daily gratuity charged to your Seapass account anymore.

This is true. I spent a ridiculous amount of time perusing RCCL's website and their FAQs to come up with the daily amount. It is nowhere to be found on their website. However, on my booking confirmation it indicates that a $12 per person per day gratuity will be automatically added to each guest's SeaPass account on a daily basis and that suite guests will see a $14.25 daily gratuity. FYI, you can prepay your tips, even if you are not using MTD. I just added mine today so they would be paid in full and I wouldn't even think about it while on our cruise.

Speaking as a brit, who always pre-pays tips and more. I take exception to your comment that we are cheap. I am sure this applies to the majority of British cruisers who choose RCI as our preferred cruiseline. My children are also brought up to recognise good service and despite tips not being required here in the UK we ALWAYS tip for good service despite where we may be in the world.

Angela & Ian

True- I am making generalizations as I know there are Brits who tip just as there are Americans who don't. But I also know it isn't in your culture to tip and so many British people get on these boards and complain about the tipping because when you eat out in your country, it is not the norm to tip and therefore from what I'm reading on cruise critic at least, the British are the ones suggesting that people remove their tips from their accounts. That is not to say all of you refuse to tip. I will say though, that as an overall generalization- if you read any amount of trip advisor reviews of hotels in the caribbean, the majority of British people make a point to include numerous complaints regarding their disgust with Americans and our "boorish" and loud and unruly behavior and have had no problem making generalizations about Americans in that way. So I don't feel too bad doing it here in regards to the tipping policy, since it is clearly evidenced in other posts by Brits.

True- I am making generalizations as I know there are Brits who tip just as there are Americans who don't. But I also know it isn't in your culture to tip and so many British people get on these boards and complain about the tipping because when you eat out in your country, it is not the norm to tip and therefore from what I'm reading on cruise critic at least, the British are the ones suggesting that people remove their tips from their accounts. That is not to say all of you refuse to tip. I will say though, that as an overall generalization- if you read any amount of trip advisor reviews of hotels in the caribbean, the majority of British people make a point to include numerous complaints regarding their disgust with Americans and our "boorish" and loud and unruly behavior and have had no problem making generalizations about Americans in that way. So I don't feel too bad doing it here in regards to the tipping policy, since it is clearly evidenced in other posts by Brits.
I also am going to take great exception and offence at your generalisation of my fellow countrymen. I have never said I won't or don't tip. We always pre-pay and add extra where I deem appropriate. Oh and BTW it is in our culture to tip, just not the excessive amounts some in the US deem we should do. I always do even here in the UK and Europe.

If you want to trade generalisations, then I have one for you. Those from the US who spend hours in the CL or DL taking their free beverages from the servers there but who do NOT tip. Click their fingers yes, shout their orders yes, but any subtle handing over of a bill, no. OK, I bet you'll defend them by saying they'll tip on the last evening. mmm, strange that they are nowhere to be seen on the last evening in the lounge, whereas I'm there to tip the servers and concierge (in addition to what I've given them each night and what I've clearly seen boorish demanding and loud Americans NOT doing).

Oh they have better things to do have they? Funny, they've kept the same routine all week except for the last evening isn't it? Well it's great we have the place to ourselves and I have had it confirmed from the servers and concierge that the regulars have not been in all night, strange that isn't? And we're normally the last in as we only go for the last 1 hour at most.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:D

Edited by peteukmcr