Formal night - everyone should try it once?

dreday3

Most people RESPECT the occasion, and dress like adults, and look presentable for the dinner. Others, will make excuses like, their clothes weigh too much for the airplane, it's my vacation, who cares about others, I wear nice clothes to work, on the ship, I want to wear a t-shirt when the person next to me is wearing a tux etc etc etc.....

Formal night is just that....wear a dress and a jacket and tie. If you don't want to, than the Windjammer serves a good dinner.

By the way, the word "suggested" is just a nice way of saying to please show respect.

Wow. The dispersions are being cast widely today, aren't they. So much for "respect"... :rolleyes:

If you don't want to, than the Windjammer serves a good dinner.

Please don't bully new cruisers asking for opinions. Someone may confuse your opinion with something they must do.

People are welcomed in the MDR every evening as long as they meet the minimum dress requirements.

Most people RESPECT the occasion, and dress like adults, and look presentable for the dinner. Others, will make excuses like, their clothes weigh too much for the airplane, it's my vacation, who cares about others, I wear nice clothes to work, on the ship, I want to wear a t-shirt when the person next to me is wearing a tux etc etc etc.....

Formal night is just that....wear a dress and a jacket and tie. If you don't want to, than the Windjammer serves a good dinner.

By the way, the word "suggested" is just a nice way of saying to please show respect.

OP, do not believe a word above ^^^^^^^^^^^^. No amount of respect in that post. Dress to the nines you if you want. Wear tuxes and ballroom gowns. I think everyone should do it at least once. A dress and jacket and tie are NOT REQUIRED for the MDR on formal night though. This is just another case of the fashion police trying to bully people. Do not listen or fall for it.

If you dont believe me, tell your waiters you wont be attending formal night because you dont have a jacket and tie. Ive got 1000.00 that says they tell you to come anyway. The cruiseline runs the dinner in the MDR. Not the self appointed fashion police here.

Edited by ryano

Please don't bully new cruisers asking for opinions. Someone may confuse your opinion with something they must do.

People are welcomed in the MDR every evening as long as they meet the minimum dress requirements.

They seem to welcome people that do not meet the minimum dress standards also, I still wear my Tux and my wife just ordered some new outfits to wear and even though we eat many of our meals in specialty restaurants , I like the MDR on formal nights I think the menu is a little nicer.

RESPECT is that. Respect that others do not feel your way. Respect does not need to be capitalized to emphasize your point. People pay the same amount can eat in whatever dining room they sign up for. Respect other peoples views and if you cannot, is the very definition of Narrow Minded. It is the cruise ship that is running dinner, not you. If they are ok with, then thats the way it goes

[p

I RESPECT the opinions stated above. Except for the CAPITALIZING thing.;)

Please respect the OP and answer the question that was asked like the way Sergeant Joe Friday wanted; "Just the Facts, ma'am", not with your sense of what the answer should be. i.e. if the OP asks what 1+1 equals, please answer 2, not 'I wish 1+1 ='ed 3'.

Edited by DirtyDawg

We chose my-time dining, does that make a difference?

Thanks! :D

(I realize everyone's opinion may be different, but that's what I'm looking for, opinions! :) )

HI!

My time dining does not make a difference. You will still be having dinner in the main dining room, its just that you get to set the time you want to eat. Standard dinner times are 6:00 and 8:30. Since this is your first time cruising, I say try dressing up this one time then you can decide if its for you or not:) Like other posters have said, its really what makes you feel comfortable. They will not kick you out of the MDR if you are not dressed to the nines, only if you are wearing shorts, tanks, and flip flops!

Have fun!!!

Ali

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate your opinions.

We will pack for the occasion - not a tux/gown, but a suit jacket/tie for Micky, cute cocktail dress for me. We'll look nice, I promise :D).

I'm betting we probably won't decide until that day! :D

First cruise we chose to miss the formal night as we thought we had to dress up in proper formal wear. However, the next day we bumped into our tablemates and they told us they'd missed at dinner the night before. So we explained, and they said we could've come just dressed nicely as you would if you were going out to a smart restaurant for dinner.

So with those words in mind, we've dressed up smartly and have attended the formal nights on our subsequent cruises.

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate your opinions.

We will pack for the occasion - not a tux/gown, but a suit jacket/tie for Micky, cute cocktail dress for me. We'll look nice, I promise :D).

I'm betting we probably won't decide until that day! :D

You will be better dressed than most, I hope you will enjoy the cruise and formal night

Where is the like button?

:rolleyes:

Edited by awhcruiser

It's fun to get dressed up. I rent a tux but have my own shirt, tie and socks (white of course). My wife likes it too and we really don't give a damn if anyone likes it or not. I always feel like they are fools as I have a friend who will have a suit on the whole trip except when he goes swimming.

RCI's website (okay, not always the most accurate) http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do while saying "The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion." also indicates that the norm is two formal nights on 6-13 night cruises and one formal night on 3-5 night cruises.

Thom

Originally Posted by Havingfun2010

I find it disconcerting that there are actually people out there that agree with this narrow-minded viewpoint. Why do some feel it is their solemn duty to impose their personal views on fellow cruisers, especially upon people they do not even know? :confused:

For the last time. one does do not have to "dress up" to eat in the MDR. RCI doesn't care if you "wear a dress and a jacket and tie", just show up and tip the waiters - end of discussion.

Edited by CruiseTobey

[/i]I find it disconcerting that there are actually people out there that agree with this narrow-minded viewpoint. Why do some feel it is their solemn duty to impose their personal views on fellow cruisers, especially upon people they do not even know? :confused:

RCI doesn't care if you "wear a dress and a jacket and tie", just show up and tip the waiters - end of discussion.

People can eye roll all the want to but telling someone to eat at the Windjammer if they dont wear a jacket and tie is most certainly bullying them. LMax was spot on.

I dont understand why some here take it upon themselves to try and enforce a rule that doesnt exist upon people they dont even know, on a cruise they arent even gonna be on.

People can eye roll all the want to but telling someone to eat at the Windjammer if they dont wear a jacket and tie is most certainly bullying them. LMax was spot on.

I dont understand why some here take it upon themselves to try and enforce a rule that doesnt exist upon people they dont even know, on a cruise they arent even gonna be on.

Just wanted to say that I really hope to cruise with you one day, man. Every single thing you post is pretty much spot on. I love how you're not afraid to take on the "seasoned" cruisers who are stuck in some bygone era where ships were used only by the relatively wealthy. My wife and I really do chuckle at some of the attitudes and personalities on here.

Keep on fighting the good fight! :D

As CruiseToby said there are narrow-minded people out there in CC land. Unfortunately there seems to be more than a few of them.:(

Luckily on actual cruises I've had the good fortune not to meet any of those 'types'.:D

Just wanted to say that I really hope to cruise with you one day, man. Every single thing you post is pretty much spot on. I love how you're not afraid to take on the "seasoned" cruisers who are stuck in some bygone era where ships were used only by the relatively wealthy. My wife and I really do chuckle at some of the attitudes and personalities on here.

Keep on fighting the good fight! :D

Dang, we are only missing each other on Freedom by a few weeks :o

Thank you for the kind words. First drink is on me if we ever find ourselves on the same ship :)

I honestly dont come here looking for a fight and try my best to get a long with everyone here. I just cant stand when someone, especially a brand new cruiser, is being told something based on others self imposed rules that dont exist on board. The "go to the windjammer if you dont wear a jacket and tie" is one that really irks me.

Edited by ryano

While you are looking for that like button, hit it again for this post.

Couldn't agree more . :)

I just cant stand when someone, especially a brand new cruiser, is being told something based on others self imposed rules that dont exist on board. The "go to the windjammer if you dont wear a jacket and tie" is one that really irks me.

That is precisely how I feel. Formal nights are optional participation. As long as someone dresses nice and neat they are welcomed in the MDR (which they have paid for). I'll never understand the people who think if you don't wear a suit that you are showing up in muddy overalls. It's not one extreme or the other. Why do some insist on portraying it that way? Clean, neat, respectable resort casual is perfectly fine all the time. I have no power to tell anyone to go away. I have no power to tell someone to buy clothes they may use once. I may or may not choose to dress formal myself, but I don't have the power to tell others what to do. As a seasoned (nearly 25 years) cruiser I feel it important to give new cruisers not only the benefit of the doubt but to help paint a realistic picture of what to expect.