Dress Question for Formal Night

Shore>Mom

Thank you for taking what I said and twisting it sooo far to the extreme. You should join the media. My exact words were that "it ruins the experience a little"...which it does! Does it ruin my night? Do I go to my cabin crying because someone didn't dress up? Of course not. But the point of formal night is to create an ambiance of a 5 star restaurant. An experience created by the 3 course meal and the waiters and the food selections. An experience that is worthy of not wearing flip flops.

I find it funny that everyone here knows these "rules" and these forums go NUTS when people ask about breaking other "rules." You are aware of the standards set for formal night on the MDR when you book a cruise. Just like not smuggling on alcohol and not taking non Gold people to the cocktail party, you agree to these terms when you accept your cruise contract. There are other dining options on those nights.

Are you a Carnival employee?

But the point of formal night is to create an ambiance of a 5 star restaurant. An experience created by the 3 course meal and the waiters and the food selections. An experience that is worthy of not wearing flip flops.

A "5 star restaurant" has absolutely nothing to do with the clothes people wear who choose to dine there. It is ALL about the food...which tastes the same whether you are wearing a gown, furs, and diamonds or just a sundress and sandals.

Formal nights were "created" to give peeps who cruised an opportunity to envision themselves as passengers on long dead oceanliners...it was all fantasy, nothing more. Now, in today's much more casual society most people (unless they've watched Titanic) have no clue about the formality that ocean liners once had. I think people just want to be comfortable and relaxed on a vacation and they don't care about the same things some old-timers do. And since the more casual cruisers now make up the majority of Carnival passengers I can easily see how things are getting more and more "relaxed".

Nope. Just someone with a different opinion.

Then let's leave it to Carnival employees to enforce their policies how they see fit. Cruise Elegant night is optional in participation and non-discriminatory. The only one with the power to decide if someone is allowed or not is a Carnival employee. And the reality of the matter is as long as someone is dressed "nice" they will be welcomed and blend right in. So don't sweat it. Enjoy your cruise. Carnival employees will handle the rest.

The last Carnival cruise we took (which was 3 years ago) the Maitre'd came around the night before Formal Night and told each tablet hat the next night was formal night and that that meant "Wear the nicest thing you brought".

This was on the Splendor, the week before the fire.

For some of us Formal Night is the absolute high point of our cruise. The part we love absolutely the most. So why can't people who do not want to dress for the night let us have this one evening in the dining room and go eat in the buffet.

Sorry, yes, you showing up in non formal dress does ruin my evening, because it is a whole atmosphere. It harkens to the bygone days of cruising and looking across the table at a t-shirt and jeans does ruin that.

While they call it Formal Night, they absolutely do not enforce it. Last cruise we saw a man walk in waving his hands in the air in shorts, flip flops and tank top:eek:. That was highly inappropriate even for a casual dinner. I don't think tank tops on men should EVER be allowed in the dining room. That being said, did it ruin my experience? Absolutely not. We like to dress up and that is our choice. I think as long as you are clean and cruise casual it's fine. It really is your vacation, enjoy it;)

So why can't people who do not want to dress for the night let us have this one evening in the dining room and go eat in the buffet.

Because they paid for MDR meal and service. You are powerless to tell anyone to go away. Cruise elegant is optional participation.

Cruise elegant is optional participation.

Interesting. I see optional and think that means the option is other places to eat when you see the optional meaning that the dress code is optional. (Definitely not trying to be snobby, I truly think it's interesting when 2 people read the same words but see 2 different things.)

You are correct, though. Until Carnival actually enforces the dress code, people will continue to ignore it. It seems silly to me to have an "optional" dress code.

I do want to clarify that I don't expect everyone to be dressed to the nines. I see a lot of people who don't even try to dress "nice." I think shorts are inappropriate and I think flip flops are inappropriate, which was the question of the OP, which is why I voiced my opinion.

Edited by Yellowbird75
spelling

Interesting. I see optional and think that means the option is other places to eat when you see the optional meaning that the dress code is optional. (Definitely not trying to be snobby, I truly think it's interesting when 2 people read the same words but see 2 different things.)

You are correct, though. Until Carnival actually enforces the dress code, people will continue to ignore it. It seems silly to me to have an "optional" dress code.

I do want to clarify that I don't expect everyone to be dressed to the nines. I see a lot of people who don't even try to dress "nice." I think shorts are inappropriate and I think flip flops are inappropriate, which was the question of the OP, which is why I voiced my opinion.

An opinion is one thing. You told someone to basically go away though. That's plain wrong.

The last Carnival cruise we took (which was 3 years ago) the Maitre'd came around the night before Formal Night and told each tablet hat the next night was formal night and that that meant "Wear the nicest thing you brought".

That doesn't really mean anything and is 100% subjective. If someone packed 6 pairs of gym shorts, one pair of khaki shorts, 6 tank tops, and one short-sleeved t-shirt, then guess what their nicest outfit is- khaki shorts and a t-shirt.

I guess I’m more in the “wear what you want, it’s all just a marketing scheme so people will want to buy photographs” camp these days. I do usually dress up, but that’s mainly because A) we normally drive to our cruises, so luggage limitations are not an issue, and B) I’ve cruised so often that I have all these pretty dresses that I have no other reason to wear- cruises are my only opportunity to take them out of the closet every once in awhile! And yes, sometimes I cave into their marketing ploys and buy a formal portrait if we happen to do one that comes out nicely. :)

An opinion is one thing. You told someone to basically go away though. That's plain wrong.

Seriously? It's wrong to say that if you don't want to follow the dress code of a restaurant then you should choose another restaurant? That's just common sense.

If you read my exact words and read nothing else into them, I am respectful, voice my opinion, and give other options.

My question may seem a little off the current path of the thread, but I honestly don't know the protocol on these things. Our first cruise was on NCL and there is no formal night.

On a cruise formal night - is this in every dining venue? Buffet? MDR? etc. If a family does not want to get dressed up is there somewhere else we can dine? I cannot imagine formal attire is needed for Guy's Burger Joint for example, but does that mean this place would most likely be closed during formal night?

I ask because I would rather not have a formal night for our family of four. It is nice to get dressed up but I would rather not have to pack the extra gear for all of us, and honestly have to go out and buy formal-ish clothing for us as well.

On a cruise formal night - is this in every dining venue? Buffet? MDR? etc. If a family does not want to get dressed up is there somewhere else we can dine? I cannot imagine formal attire is needed for Guy's Burger Joint for example, but does that mean this place would most likely be closed during formal night?

I ask because I would rather not have a formal night for our family of four. It is nice to get dressed up but I would rather not have to pack the extra gear for all of us, and honestly have to go out and buy formal-ish clothing for us as well.

As far as I know, the cruise elegant dress code applies only to the MDR and the Steakhouse (I've heard the Steakhouse has a nicer dress code every night, though I've never been to confirm this). All other open food venues are normal dress. Which ones are open for dinner I think depends on the ship.

[quote name='Yellowbird75']Thank you for taking what I said and twisting it sooo far to the extreme. You should join the media. My exact words were that "it ruins the experience a little"...which it does! Does it ruin my night? Do I go to my cabin crying because someone didn't dress up? Of course not. But the point of formal night is to create an ambiance of a 5 star restaurant. An experience created by the 3 course meal and the waiters and the food selections. An experience that is worthy of not wearing flip flops.

I find it funny that everyone here knows these "rules" and these forums go NUTS when people ask about breaking other "rules." You are aware of the standards set for formal night on the MDR when you book a cruise. Just like not smuggling on alcohol and not taking non Gold people to the cocktail party, you agree to these terms when you accept your cruise contract. There are other dining options on those nights.[/QUOTE]

I believe, you totally misunderstood what the poster was saying. He/she was saying that it did kind of ruin their experience to have people in front of them dressing in jeans and flip flops. I think you need to re-read the entire post and not just the last couple of lines. I don't think it had anything to do with you.

[quote name='Yellowbird75']Seriously? It's wrong to say that if you don't want to follow the dress code of a restaurant then you should choose another restaurant? That's just common sense.

If you read my exact words and read nothing else into them, I am respectful, voice my opinion, and give other options.[/QUOTE]
Yes it is wrong to say. You aren't a Carnival employee. You are powerless to take away dinner and service someone has paid for. It is up to Carnival staff to decide if someone is dressed appropriate for the venue. It is an optional participation dress suggestion and not for you or I to enforce as we subjectively see fit. If you have a big issue with it on your cruise take it up with dining room management and let them handle it

[quote name='CatgirlNC']That doesn't really mean anything and is 100% subjective. If someone packed 6 pairs of gym shorts, one pair of khaki shorts, 6 tank tops, and one short-sleeved t-shirt, then guess what their nicest outfit is- khaki shorts and a t-shirt.
I guess I’m more in the “wear what you want, it’s all just a marketing scheme so people will want to buy photographs” camp these days. I do usually dress up, but that’s mainly because A) we normally drive to our cruises, so luggage limitations are not an issue, and B) I’ve cruised so often that I have all these pretty dresses that I have no other reason to wear- cruises are my only opportunity to take them out of the closet every once in awhile! And yes, sometimes I cave into their marketing ploys and buy a formal portrait if we happen to do one that comes out nicely. :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We had not brought "formal" wear on that cruise, and when he told us that, we told him we hadn't brought our formal attire, and he said "oh you are dressed fine the way you are right now" I was wearing capri's, a nice blouse and flip flops (nice).

We ate in the buffet the next night.

[quote name='cruzeluver']To the OP: your question was "can he wear them?" The answer is yes. Anything else posted is someone's opinion on whether they personally think they should be allowed which is irrelevant to your question.[/QUOTE]

But, that is not an answer you can give. Technically, the dress code states no flip flops. So, they should be prepared to be turned away if the Maitre d' determines that they are not appropriate.

Telling someone the answer is yes is, in fact, incorrect unless you are the person in charge deciding what attire is appropriate.

[quote name='LMaxwell']Yes it is wrong to say. You aren't a Carnival employee. You are powerless to take away dinner and service someone has paid for. It is up to Carnival staff to decide if someone is dressed appropriate for the venue. It is an optional participation dress suggestion and not for you or I to enforce as we subjectively see fit. If you have a big issue with it on your cruise take it up with dining room management and let them handle it[/QUOTE]

As are you powerless to tell me that my opinion is "wrong." You keep saying that the dress code participation is optional when I don't see that anywhere. I said nothing that Carnival doesn't say themselves in their own policies. They too suggest that if you don't want to dress up, there are other dining options.

"Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme."

[url]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx[/url]

[quote name='Yellowbird75']As are you powerless to tell me that my opinion is "wrong." You keep saying that the dress code participation is optional when I don't see that anywhere. I said nothing that Carnival doesn't say themselves in their own policies. They too suggest that if you don't want to dress up, there are other dining options.

"Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme."

[url]http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx[/url][/QUOTE]
Your opinion is yours. But you have no right to tell anyone to eat elsewhere. period. Let Carnival employees deal with it.

[COLOR="Black"][B][I]Have Any Of You Been On A Carnival Cruise Lately?[/I][/B]

I'm beginning to wonder. The dress code is so relaxed it's laughable. Honestly, if someone has shoes you don't like why are you looking at them. Look at your wife, your husband or your family. In 32 cruises I've never seen shoes anywhere in the dining room other than the floor. It's so noisy you couldn't hear a flip-flop flip-flop.

We've seen kids wear basketball shorts and jerseys, hats, sandals of all kinds walk right in the Glory, Triumph, Magic and Imagination in the past few months. The Triumph looked like the ship stopped at Target on Black Friday and said [I]"we need about 2000 of you to get aboard, come as you are."[/I]

You want to dress up? [B]Do it[/B], knock yourself out. I'm in shorts, a Tommy Bahama and sandals for every night except [I]Cruise Elegant[/I]. Then khakis replace the shorts. Sometimes I might substitute casual leather shoes for the sandals. If that bothers you then sit at another table for 6pm dining.

[B] If[/B] you are the kind of cruiser that wants to share a little about your family, past cruises, talk about ports and enjoy the dinner bring your feather wearing, blue jean shorts, hairy-chest contest winning grandmother and flip-flop wearing family to our table. I'd rather enjoy dinner with you guys than someone wanting to be the Mr. Blackwell of the Seven Seas.

.[/COLOR] Edited by BallFour4

[COLOR="Black"][quote name='LMaxwell']Your opinion is yours. But you have no right to tell anyone to eat elsewhere. period. Let Carnival employees deal with it.[/quote]

Suggestions for dinner from anyone other than my wife are [B]null[/B] and [B]void[/B].

.[/COLOR] Edited by BallFour4

I also agree that dressing formally is more for the pictures than the ambience. I enjoy dressing up for dinner. But if others do not, it doesn't matter to me. As I wrote before I have worn flip flops to dinner because they were the only shoes that fit me swollen feet. It wasn't a choice I made ahead of time. I still dressed up in a long skirt, cute top, and did my hair and makeup. I even had cute pink toes if anyone cared.

The rules are there, but Carnival doesn't enforce most of their own rules. Chair hogs, smoking, dressing. It is up to the employees and most really don't care.