Second choice

sueajp

I so my first River cruise ever and I chose to go AMA on the Rhine in September.. BUT by the time I was all set it was sold out! Booooo so second choice, either possibly switch lines to Avalon or Uniworld or tentative booking on AMA on Romantic Danube Prague to Budapest Thoughts?

Edited by sueajp
wrong river

Personal choice, but we found Rhine Cruise Basel to Amsterdam in 2013 was better than Prague to Budapest in 2014. Both on Avalon who were excellent.

We enjoyed towns and scenery more on the Rhine, history was better on the Danube, as I said, very personal choice.

We will sail again with Avalon, just trying to decide which river next?

I so my first River cruise ever and I chose to go AMA on the Rhine in September.. BUT by the time I was all set it was sold out! Booooo so second choice, either possibly switch lines to Avalon or Uniworld or tentative booking on AMA on Romantic Danube Prague to Budapest Thoughts?

Our favorite cruise so far was AmaCerto Budapest to Prague. Enjoyed everything about it and the onboard experience topped all of our 9 river cruises so far. I posted a detailed review if you are interested.

We are recently back from the Rhine itinerary and enjoyed the ports but I give the edge to the Danube itinerary.

I would choose Uniworld over Avalon if you really want that itinerary. But as a first time river cruiser, I suspect either would offer a good experience.

It depends on whether you prefer sticking with AMA, or sticking with the Rhine itinerary for this cruise. Both options sound pretty nice!

If you want to stay with the Rhine, then Uniworld; they do a great job with this cruise and we really enjoyed the SS Antoinette. We have not yet done the Danube but some day - especially if it's even better than the Rhine!

There are lots of reviews of the Rhine itinerary on these boards, including a few from last year with Uniworld. I have not looked for Danube reviews but there must be some. Read a few of those and maybe that will help nudge you in one direction or another.

Hi all.. So I had my TA check Avalon for the Rhine , Amsterdam to Basel. He found a good deal on an offer they had and at a reduced air fare. That is on a tentative hold until Saturday. It sounds good. I was thinking of staying on in Zurich for a day or two. I understand they use the Movenpick Hotel but that is at the airport. Not probably the prettiest spot and not close to the city center? What did folks do in Zurich and where did you stay? What about Lucerne. These boards are invaluable!

We did a (brief) day in Zurich before cruising Basel-AMS last year. Liked Zurich - wandered the downtown area, climbed the Munster tower, enjoyed the view of the lake, took a train to Utliberg where there's a nice scenic view from another tower... Honestly we didn't do too much because we had just flown in on a long red-eye with two layovers, and we were sleepwalking most of the day.

We stayed at the Park Hyatt which is ridiculously expensive, even for Switzerland. Luckily we had Hyatt points to use. Good location for sightseeing. Nice restaurant. You could always stay at the airport hotel and take public transportation into town, though.

We visited Lucerne on another occasion a few months later. I think Lucerne was gorgeous! I posted a few pictures from that visit to Lucerne at the end of my trip log for the Rhine River Cruise.

If I had to choose between Zurich and Lucerne, it would be Lucerne every time. But if you have to fly to Zurich, then take a train to Lucerne for just one day, then train back to Zurich and transfer to Basel - that would be tiring, and I'd choose to stay in Zurich if that were the case. Zurich is not bad by any means, it's just not as beautiful as Lucerne.

Whichever city you choose, be prepared for serious sticker shock. Switzerland is expensive!

Edited by jpalbny

We did a (brief) day in Zurich before cruising Basel-AMS last year. Liked Zurich - wandered the downtown area, climbed the Munster tower, enjoyed the view of the lake, took a train to Utliberg where there's a nice scenic view from another tower... Honestly we didn't do too much because we had just flown in on a long red-eye with two layovers, and we were sleepwalking most of the day.

We stayed at the Park Hyatt which is ridiculously expensive, even for Switzerland. Luckily we had Hyatt points to use. Good location for sightseeing. Nice restaurant. You could always stay at the airport hotel and take public transportation into town, though.

We visited Lucerne on another occasion a few months later. I think Lucerne was gorgeous! I posted a few pictures from that visit to Lucerne at the end of my trip log for the Rhine River Cruise.

If I had to choose between Zurich and Lucerne, it would be Lucerne every time. But if you have to fly to Zurich, then take a train to Lucerne for just one day, then train back to Zurich and transfer to Basel - that would be tiring, and I'd choose to stay in Zurich if that were the case. Zurich is not bad by any means, it's just not as beautiful as Lucerne.

Whichever city you choose, be prepared for serious sticker shock. Switzerland is expensive!

I reconsidered the configuration of our trip. So.... it now is we end the cruise in Basel and take the train to Luzerne for two nights. Picked the Hotel Des Alpes. Then we will get the train to Zurich for one night and then on to the airport. Don't have a hotel yet in Zurich. And I am still a little nervous about all the trains and transfers but stepping up! ANyone know how we can get to The Basel train stop or otherwise get to Luzerne! :)Another serious blizzard going on here tonight , so enjoying cruising the boards and dreaming!

Google Basel to Luzerne. Tons of options - I checked. When taking trains, coaches (bus) keep in mind dragging your luggage with you. We had a great train transfer experience in France last year, but my big HEAVY suitcase was a constant problem. I scanned the platform and train for strong looking kids who could heave it up. Luckily, I always found nice kids who were happy to help. But unlike Blanch, from a Streetcar Named Desire, you can't always "depend upon the kindness of strangers." Hope you get the reference... I'm showing my age...

I'm bored since my trip on Viking China Imperial Jewels is set. Now I butt into other trips in anticipation of 2016! Good practice for my favorite hobby, trip planning :)

Hi all.. So I had my TA check Avalon for the Rhine , Amsterdam to Basel. He found a good deal on an offer they had and at a reduced air fare. That is on a tentative hold until Saturday. It sounds good. I was thinking of staying on in Zurich for a day or two. I understand they use the Movenpick Hotel but that is at the airport. Not probably the prettiest spot and not close to the city center? What did folks do in Zurich and where did you stay? What about Lucerne. These boards are invaluable!

We chose to stop over 2 nights in Zurich on our way to Moscow as we had to change planes there, as a way to get over jet lag and see Zurich. We stayed at the Glockenhof Hotel, which is fairly affordable, for Switzerland! Could walk easily through the Old Town. Visited the Grossmunster and Fraumunster, both of which have interesting stained glass windows. Took a trip around the lake on a boat that stops briefly at various spots along the lake. Pretty and relaxing excursion. Cost was 8,50 CHF.

Google Basel to Luzerne. Tons of options - I checked. When taking trains, coaches (bus) keep in mind dragging your luggage with you. We had a great train transfer experience in France last year, but my big HEAVY suitcase was a constant problem. I scanned the platform and train for strong looking kids who could heave it up. Luckily, I always found nice kids who were happy to help. But unlike Blanch, from a Streetcar Named Desire, you can't always "depend upon the kindness of strangers." Hope you get the reference... I'm showing my age...

I'm bored since my trip on Viking China Imperial Jewels is set. Now I butt into other trips in anticipation of 2016! Good practice for my favorite hobby, trip planning :)

Cruzer, That is so funny! i was just saying that doing this will keep me from packing too much stuff as I am always guilty of doing. Unlike the big ships, I wont need dress up clothes so hoping to keep it lighter!! Google is a great idea! Thanks!

Anyone know how we can get to The Basel train stop or otherwise get to Luzerne!

Have the ship arrange a taxi for you. Basel has trams but they do not really go to the river boat dock. Most commonly, the ships use Dreilandereck which is at least 1/2 mile walk from the nearest tram stop, through an industrial area, crossing several railroad tracks. It's easy enough unencumbered (we walked this route), but I'd not recommend it while dragging luggage unless you are really traveling light.

There are two other riverboat docks in Basel that look to be somewhat more convenient to tram stops, but from what I've read, most of the ships use Dreilandereck. We found Basel to be kind of lacking in useful public transport to/from the ship, compared to most other places we've visited. Your hotel in Lucerne looks to be an easy walk from the train station - though you do have to cross the river.

Don't worry about the trains! They are easy. Train travel in Europe is great; everyone uses the train, and it is a powerful incentive not to overpack. :) We will be using the RER/Metro and the TGV in Paris next month for our Rhone cruise, so we'll pack light. It's a great way to do it, and our preferred MO.

Trip planning is the best way to deal with crummy weather. We are eagerly anticipating the Rhone cruise!

Edited by jpalbny

Have the ship arrange a taxi for you. Basel has trams but they do not really go to the river boat dock. Most commonly, the ships use Dreilandereck which is at least 1/2 mile walk from the nearest tram stop, through an industrial area, crossing several railroad tracks. It's easy enough unencumbered (we walked this route), but I'd not recommend it while dragging luggage unless you are really traveling light.

There are two other riverboat docks in Basel that look to be somewhat more convenient to tram stops, but from what I've read, most of the ships use Dreilandereck. We found Basel to be kind of lacking in useful public transport to/from the ship, compared to most other places we've visited. Your hotel in Lucerne looks to be an easy walk from the train station - though you do have to cross the river.

Don't worry about the trains! They are easy. Train travel in Europe is great; everyone uses the train, and it is a powerful incentive not to overpack. :) We will be using the RER/Metro and the TGV in Paris next month for our Rhone cruise, so we'll pack light. It's a great way to do it, and our preferred MO.

Trip planning is the best way to deal with crummy weather. We are eagerly anticipating the Rhone cruise!

Yes, I agree.. that crummy weather makes you enjoy the planning even more! We are just buried with snow here near Boston and temps below zero.. These mountains will not melt til June! The trains look more do able all the time. I have been doing my research on this forum as well as Trip Advisor. I think the cab to the train station in Basel sounds like a plan! We will stay the two nights in Lucerne and then on to Zurich I am toying with staying at the Movenpick at the airport since we fly out after just one night. Then we could just take the train? tram? into zurich and explore the city and go back to Movenpick and have an easy transition to the airport the next morning. The price seems good too. Anyone stayed there?