First time cruise need advice in KeyWest port

We are going on our first family cruise! Kids are involved 4,6,11.. We are first going to Key West. Should we do a shore excursion or just tour around the town by foot?? Is there plenty to do there with out the excursion???

Lots to see near the port just by strolling around. Also, iirc there is a ho-ho option. (Hop on hop off) taking you to many sights.

If your children are observant/ curious, you might want to prepare yourself to discuss the rather obvious Key West life style they will probably notice.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was trying to come up with a good way to say the same thing.

I'm not sure when your cruise is, but I found the following to be true in almost all of my caribbean centered ports:

Its hot. I mean hot. Sweltering. Especially in Key West and San Juan. The kiddos get cranky really quickly in that kind of sweaty heat. Have a plan. Have a plan. And then have a plan B.

If your children are observant/ curious, you might want to prepare yourself to discuss the rather obvious Key West life style they will probably notice.

The lifestyle you speak of has become a small minority in KW. It's not so in-your-face like it used to be, except for on 1 or 2 blocks of Duval St where you may or may not see a drag queen trying to drum up business for the 801 Club. I don't think there will be any need to explain anyting.

We are going on our first family cruise! Kids are involved 4,6,11.. We are first going to Key West. Should we do a shore excursion or just tour around the town by foot?? Is there plenty to do there with out the excursion???

I usually recommend the hop on/off trolly tour, but with kids that young, take a look at the Conch Train tour. Or how do you feel about snorkling? the catamaran sailing excursions can be a lot of fun.

Honestly, no, there is not plenty to do. Very walkable but also so much of the same stuff... t-shirts, restaurants, key lime pie. I mean, I am so glad we got there (bucket list!) but for the children, I would not just walk them around town. There are some good suggestions in this thread already; just wanted to confirm that I think you should plan something.

Its hot. I mean hot. Sweltering. Especially in Key West and San Juan. The kiddos get cranky really quickly in that kind of sweaty heat. Have a plan. Have a plan. And then have a plan B.

SO agreed!! My goodness, it was stiffling hot when we went last March, wow. I mean, even as adults we were unprepared for that heat. :D

I'm not sure you need to sign up for excursions. The suggestions previously posted are great.

Two attractions my husband and I enjoyed a few years ago were the Key West Wrecker Museum (it might have a slightly different name) and the Key West Aquarium. These might be good activities for your children.

Both are located in/around Mallory Square. Not sure if you are docking at Mallory Square or will have a shuttle to get to that area. We were on the other pier and took the shuttle over to Duvall Street.

The wrecker museum had great displays and activities for all ages. Back in the day, Key Westers made a living looking for ships that wrecked on the shoals and whoever got to the cargo first got to keep it. The building has a very, very, very tall tower that replicates the original shipwreck lookout. I had trouble going to the top but it might be a breeze for the kids.

The aquarium was built in early 1930s, it isn't modern, but there are hands on touch activities for the kids (I liked them also). Their websites are informative and you can check Trip Advisor for reviews. On the aquarium site there is a link for coupons, such as combining the Conch Tour Train with the aquarium visit, adults can save some money. Not advertising for either, just some opportunities to save money on tickets. I don’t think you have to buy in advance.

Historic Tours of America has some nice packages. The Conch Tour Train or the Key West Trolley both have on-off privlidges and will leave you off close to The Hemingway House, The Truman complex, The Southernmost point. You can walk around Mallory Square. go to Sloppy Joes, The Fletcher Museum and other spots right there as well. Have fun