Considering NCL, first cruise with kids in tow

CJ0226

We are looking to take a family cruise this year with our children ages 11, 6 and 4.

We have sailed with Carnival three times now (Legend, Valor and Pride), but never with our children so this will be a new experience altogether. After the third time sailing with carnival, it all seemed the same so we are after some change and experiences.

Currently we are looking at the NCL Escape, however I would prefer 4 ports instead of 3. The second option would be the Breakaway which would eliminate airfare, but I'm concerned about being at the same place the whole time. We would be looking to go in May or September.

To those who have sailed CCL and NCL and can offer comparison, will it be a change to what we have experienced?

Edited by CJ0226

I think the kids will love the Breakaway, Getaway or the Escape. We are looking forward to our Escape cruise this Dec.

We went on the Breakaway last summer and it is our best cruise ever. My 7 year loved every minute of it. They have so many activities and things to do for the kids so they will never get bored. We picked the Breakaway to save some $$ since we didn't have to pay for airfare.

Bermuda is also amazing and I felt 3 days is not enough. I would definitely do this itinerary again.

We enjoyed the Carnival cruises that we have taken before and currently looking at booking Vista for 2016 since it looks very interesting. *Hopefully*

But I can honestly say that we enjoy NCL more.

After 16 cruises in a row, we tried the Breakaway, and loved it! There will be plenty on board for all your kids to do - ropes course, slides, etc. We loved the freestyle dining concept - they are doing promos now - where 3/4/5 in a cabin sail free - also promos for obc, dining, grats - take your pick. Really good deals, imho. The entertainment is way different than CCL - better, again, imho. Not needing airfare for 5 is a big savings - parking in NY at the port is easy - just a bit costly - but not nearly as expensive as flying to Miami. As far as staying in Bermuda 3 days - time flies. Horseshoe Bay is nice, and there is a pretty decent (man-made) beach within walking distance of the port, with a water tramp. Plenty of stuff to do in Bermuda. You can also use the ship as a destination on port days - it will be pretty empty, and is a great time to try out everything without any lines! I would give NCL a try.

Took kids on Star and Breakaway and they loved it both times. We are going back on Breakaway to Bermuda this summer.

One of the great things about NCL with kids is the Freestyle where you eat when you want. Also when in Bermuda it is nice not to worry about getting back for dinner since you are docked for two nights.

We felt the same as you; wanted to try something different from Carnival but still reasonably priced. You can't beat the Friends and Family sail free with added bonus of beverage package, dining package or OBC. The savings may cancel out the cost of airfare.

If you want more ports, then I don't think you could go wrong with the Escape. With all there is for your kids to do on the Escape, they may prefer 3 ports versus the 4 you want. Considering it being their first cruise and their younger ages, 4 ports may be too much for them.

Something else to consider is time of travel. From what I understand, Bermuda is not hot like the Caribbean. I could be wrong, though.

Either way, enjoy whatever cruise you choose for your family!