Cruise Insurance

glennbtn

Hi All

Going on our first cruise with P&O and was wondering what was the best insurance company to go with.

I understand P&O have some criteria regarding amounts covered etc but find some companies don't even state about being airlifted from a ship etc.

Any advise would be great

Thanks

Glenn

Hi All

Going on our first cruise with P&O and was wondering what was the best insurance company to go with.

I understand P&O have some criteria regarding amounts covered etc but find some companies don't even state about being airlifted from a ship etc.

Any advise would be great

Thanks

Glenn

Hi Glenn. We have gone with P&O's own insurance holiday extra. Never used them before but seem to have good reports.however,as with any insurance read the small print & make sure you tell them any medical conditions. On a cruise you pay up front for any visit to the medical centre and treatment then claim it back on your insurance, if you are covered.

The company above this one (will we get a smack if we name?)

They were good to me, but it benefitted them and benefitted me. They are a business,. but I was happy with it.,

I had a heart attack before a Caribbean cruise., They would have paid out in full, but they politely pointed out to me that it would be a while before they would reinsure me again.

They said if I rebooked at a time the medics said ok then they would hold the premium until then and reinsure.

We booked two more 'local' cruises (one a good year later) and have been on them both and were fully insured.

I would add that P and O were fabulous to us as well., Our Cruise Adviser was worth her weight in gold, both at the time and on the later cruises.,

The company above this one (will we get a smack if we name?)

They were good to me, but it benefitted them and benefitted me. They are a business,. but I was happy with it.,

I had a heart attack before a Caribbean cruise., They would have paid out in full, but they politely pointed out to me that it would be a while before they would reinsure me again.

They said if I rebooked at a time the medics said ok then they would hold the premium until then and reinsure.

We booked two more 'local' cruises (one a good year later) and have been on them both and were fully insured.

I would add that P and O were fabulous to us as well., Our Cruise Adviser was worth her weight in gold, both at the time and on the later cruises.,

That sounds like a good common sense approach.

Apologies if I am breaching any CC posting rules.

If pre-existing medical conditions are an issue, then try InsuranceWith. I've previously had cruise insurance with AllClear (never had to claim), but I think they must have changed hands in the last year or so, because a) the approach seems to be totally different, b) the premiums are much, much higher and c) they get some truly awful reviews.

Although a previous post on here said they were expensive, the quote I got from InsuranceWith was over £100 cheaper than anyone else, for very comprehensive cover (including repatriation) and they gave me some very good advice re investigations DH is currently undergoing.

We always use the free travel insurance that comes with our bank account. Because of the recent comments about travel insurance not always covering cruises I phoned the company to check. Interestingly we are covered for cruising but our pre existing medical conditions attracted a premium that we were unaware of. It wasn't a lot extra to pay (£36) and still makes this very good value for money BUT it emphasises the need if you have this sort of policy to check in once a year to make sure policy conditions have not changed. Had we not done this then the policy would not have paid out in the event of a claim. :eek:

I've just tried a quote with insurance with, and with my medical conditions, which I have not had an episode for five years, have quoted me with an £100 excess, before I start . With the company I use, I have 0 excess. It's funny how company's use the same information differently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A consideration with medical cover under a Travel Insurance Policy is the Company's approach with regard to payments should one be hospitalised while on an overseas holiday.

It can take several days for an Insurance Company to arrange to be billed direct by the hospital, so in the interim one must pay the bills and claim upon return to the UK.

In 2006 my brother was rushed into hospital in Vancouver, and the cost of accommodation alone was £1000 per day.

You are very lucky indeed Bronte30 if you have pre-existing medical conditions and don't have to pay any excess. Mine is a very minor condition (tendency to slightly high blood pressure), kept under control by a minimum dose of a common blood pressure med, which has been stable since diagnosis (around 8 years) and I've always had an excess applied. I still think I'd be getting off lightly if I had to pay £100, compared to the £1000 per day incurred by English Voyager's brother.

I use American Express. I used to do single trip insurance but have now gone Annual Travel Insurance. It is important that it covers you in the relevant part of the world e.g. USA and Caribbean other places like Europe are cheaper. If you are sailing Med cruises Europe probably is OK and apply for your free EHIC European Health Insurance Card for on shore treatment in Europe.

If you go down the Annual Travel Insurance route as opposed to single trip the P&O weekender 2 nighters are much more easily afforded as no extra payable for insurance and the CPS parking is £20/£30. So that sorts out a couple of weekend breaks in the year then.

Regards John

We are taking our 80 year old Mothers on Brittania in March. They both have numerous medical conditions incl heart and breathing issues. I did around 10 quotes with all the main ones routinely mentioned on here but in the end found MIA online. They have a totally different approach and fully understood the medical issues and knew what every medication was for. Their quote was £205 for two weeks compared to £410 which was the next lowest with SAGA. If you have lots of medical conditions I would recommend them. They also cover terminal illnesses which most insurers run a mile from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have just booked with Staysure too. I found them when searching for "disabled cruise insurance"

£68 for couples insurance, 10 day cruise with 4 named pre existing conditions

It would have been £30 without the conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk