Kid Friendly excursions in St Thomas and St Maarten

Noelle2375

Hello! I am sorry if this has already been asked but I could not find any good information. We will be traveling with our 2 daughters that are 5 and 3 and were looking for kid friendly excursions in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!!!

We had a beach day in St Maarten. Went to le Galion which was fantastic for our little one. It's a beach near Orient but protected my a natural reef so virtually no waves. It's not the most developed beach but does have a small snack bar/bbq for food and drink. Chair rentals and umbrella rentals available as well.

We also went to Le Galion with our 4 year old and 14 month old and the Butterfly Farm. When we got off of the ship, we headed for a taxi stand and the taxi driver dropped us off at the butterfly farm which was about 10 minutes from the beach, we told him that we would walk to the beach. He gave us his card but when we finished our tour, he was waiting for us because he didn't want us to walk-- there aren't exactly any sidewalks.

He dropped us off at the beach and then picked us up when we were finished. It was an easy, relaxing and fun day!

I'm going to be That Mother and add to what my DD (Mommyloves2cruise) said above. Having a cab wasn't that expensive and it gave us the freedom to be on the boys' schedule, rather than having them conform to the excursion's schedule.

And as for St. Thomas, it's the perfect place to teach them how to shop and negotiate prices. You're never too young to learn. ;)

Edited by NewSalt

In St Thomas we went to Magen's Bay with our then 18 month old and had fun. We got there early and didn't have any problems finding a good spot and having fun. We only stayed a couple hours and it was pretty packed when we left. Very pretty beach. In St Maarten we went to Orient beach. Didn't really care for it there. Our son didn't like the waves and I didn't like how crowded it was with chairs lined up everywhere.

Edited by acceber32

I went to airport beach (Maho) and while the planes coming in were awesome and our kids loved it the waves were too harsh. I would try near the butterfly farm or Divi area which is closer to the ship. Plan an hour and a half to get back from the opposite side of the island. Traffic gets really bad in the afternoon.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I went to airport beach (Maho) and while the planes coming in were awesome and our kids loved it the waves were too harsh. I would try near the butterfly farm or Divi area which is closer to the ship. Plan an hour and a half to get back from the opposite side of the island. Traffic gets really bad in the afternoon.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I purchased a small guide on St Maarten and it mentioned to be careful at Maho beach with kids as the waves are rough and there is a sudden drop off in the water.

In St. Thomas, we just took a cab to the nearest beach. Our friends had been there before and it was super cheap to get there and not at all crowded. We were there from 2-6 and that was plenty of time for the 4, 6, 7, and 9 year olds (plus us 4 oldies!) The only bummer was that the rental people had left for the day so we could rent jetskis like we wanted to. Either way, we had fun exploring the rocks and were really close to port as we got to watch another ship leave and felt like we could have swam to it.

DSCN4552_zpskd9qp0rx.jpg

DSCN4636_zps4k3457u4.jpg

DSCN4600_zpsruqzpplk.jpg

In St Thomas we went to Magen's Bay with our then 18 month old and had fun. We got there early and didn't have any problems finding a good spot and having fun. We only stayed a couple hours and it was pretty packed when we left. Very pretty beach. In St Maarten we went to Orient beach. Didn't really care for it there. Our son didn't like the waves and I didn't like how crowded it was with chairs lined up everywhere.

I've been to orient a couple times and the water was beautiful with no waves and was not too crowded. Maybe it depends on the time of year you are there as far as waves.

In St Thomas I like Coki beach. There is no charge to get in but at Magens there is a fee.

Carseats are not required in both these places. Cabs readily avaliable both ways for cruisers.

I second Meagans Bay in St Thomas:) I went with my fb in the fall and it was beautiful! Also you can rent kayaks it's nice and smooth ride on the kayaks we will do this while we're in St Thomas of its up to me :).