New to cruising and have some questions

monof2boys

Before I beg for information let me tell you about myself and family. I am a 40 something :) wife and mom of 2 boys ages 15 and 13.

I have gone on two cruises, the Carnival Ecstasy back in 1998 and most recently the Disney Dream Jan 2015.

We decided after the Disney Cruise we loved cruising and wanted more, it was only 3 days after all!!

So I began researching and found this great forum and have already learned a ton by lurking around here but have some specific questions that I know someone here can help with.

We are looking at cruising the first week of January 2016. I have looked at all the different cruise lines and all seem to have something great. I think we have narrowed it down to Norwegian on the Getaway. I recently read on this forum a wonderful post about how to get the best prices that I now can't seem to find. That post suggested waiting until around 50-55 days out to book but did note unless it is a kids go free promotion. Norwegian is running a promotion where the 3rd and 4th guest are free, so my first question is: Do I book with that promotion or wait until the 50-55 day window and hope for an even cheaper price?

Also in the Norwegian promotion I can get either the ultimate drink, ultimate food or a onboard credit. We love eating out, it is our favorite thing on vacation and I figure it would be cheaper to get the food under the promotion and just the soda drink thing:confused:, if they have one, as neither of would drink much alcohol. Does this sound like the right plan?

Getting to the port is concerning me as well. We live near Pittsburg and usually fly Southwest but they don't go to Miami, instead they go to Ft. Lauderdale. Is it hard to get to the port from there? What are the options? Do the cruise lines offer shuttles?

Lastly, for today anyway, what are the cabins like? On the Dream we had the basic Balcony room and loved it but I hear they are generally bigger cabins compared to other cruise lines. We really want to stick with a balcony. I was looking at the larger balconies. Is the room size the same for those just with a bigger balcony or do you lose room space for the balcony? Is there anywhere you can tell if a room's balcony over looks a life boat. I have read about how you can't see down to the water because of the lifeboat below you.

Sorry, I did not intend for this to be so long. Thank you in advance for any information or advice you have.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

First, when to buy? It is really a guess. If a sailing is not selling well, they will usually drop the price often after final payment. This makes it difficult for people already booked to cancel and rebook at the new fare as they would lose some of their money. There is no guarantee the sailing you want will drop in price. I like to plan in advance, so I would buy now if you feel the price is good.

If you do not drink much alcohol, do not get the alcohol card. I think you need to drink about 8 drinks per day to break even.

It is about 30 miles from Fort Lauderdale to Miami. NCL will offer transfer, but with four people you will probably do better getting a taxi or a car service. If you check the FLorida section of the Home Ports area of CC, you can get more details.

There is no guarantee that prices will go down for your cruise. They could go up. If they are offering 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin go for free, I would book now. It should give you a better chance of getting a cabin in an area that you want.

One thing to consider is that some school districts may still be out on winter break and that could keep demand up (which means less available cabins and lower probability of prices going down).

I hope that you're considering getting to your embarkation city at least a day ahead of your cruise, especially as you're talking about winter. If you have any doubt about that, think about the weather conditions around you right now.

OP I know which thread you re referring to. Since NCL has kids sail free now for selected sailings and if your sailing qualifies, and if you are doing OV or above (which gives you additional beverage or dining package on top of KSF) then book it now. Then keep watching.

Hello and welcome to CC!

Since I noticed you are from Pittsburgh (yeah go Steelers!) and oddly enough have boys right around both of mines ages (13 & 16) here I had to post!

What I want to note to you, is while it is a long drive down to Floria and Miami, I have found it to be a LOT cheaper driving from the 'burgh to Florida for 4. Sure it takes 2 days each way and 3 hotel rooms, but even with Southwest..

I was pricing recently and found for us to fly Southwest to Florida it would be roughly $2000ish. Flying out of Baltimore is actually a GOOD chunk cheaper than Pittsburgh on Southwest if you don't mind the 5 hour drive each way.

While it would cost $2000 to fly, I can drive to Miami for less than $700 including hotels, gas and food for 4 especially if you plan it out and get Groupon Hotels on the way.

Trust me I understand your want to get out of this weather! I would have loved to go in the middle of winter again (since you are taking them out of school already, look at the 1st week of December instead of the 1st week of January for really cheaper prices btw).

Happy Planning!

Before I beg for information let me tell you about myself and family. I am a 40 something :) wife and mom of 2 boys ages 15 and 13.

I have gone on two cruises, the Carnival Ecstasy back in 1998 and most recently the Disney Dream Jan 2015.

We decided after the Disney Cruise we loved cruising and wanted more, it was only 3 days after all!!

So I began researching and found this great forum and have already learned a ton by lurking around here but have some specific questions that I know someone here can help with.

We are looking at cruising the first week of January 2016. I have looked at all the different cruise lines and all seem to have something great. I think we have narrowed it down to Norwegian on the Getaway. I recently read on this forum a wonderful post about how to get the best prices that I now can't seem to find. That post suggested waiting until around 50-55 days out to book but did note unless it is a kids go free promotion. Norwegian is running a promotion where the 3rd and 4th guest are free, so my first question is: Do I book with that promotion or wait until the 50-55 day window and hope for an even cheaper price?

Also in the Norwegian promotion I can get either the ultimate drink, ultimate food or a onboard credit. We love eating out, it is our favorite thing on vacation and I figure it would be cheaper to get the food under the promotion and just the soda drink thing:confused:, if they have one, as neither of would drink much alcohol. Does this sound like the right plan?

Getting to the port is concerning me as well. We live near Pittsburg and usually fly Southwest but they don't go to Miami, instead they go to Ft. Lauderdale. Is it hard to get to the port from there? What are the options? Do the cruise lines offer shuttles?

Lastly, for today anyway, what are the cabins like? On the Dream we had the basic Balcony room and loved it but I hear they are generally bigger cabins compared to other cruise lines. We really want to stick with a balcony. I was looking at the larger balconies. Is the room size the same for those just with a bigger balcony or do you lose room space for the balcony? Is there anywhere you can tell if a room's balcony over looks a life boat. I have read about how you can't see down to the water because of the lifeboat below you.

Sorry, I did not intend for this to be so long. Thank you in advance for any information or advice you have.

Welcome to CC

I ordered the dining package for an upcoming 7 night cruise with NCL and just finished booking 5 specialty restaurants. For 3 big and 1 little persons it would have been over $400. With the dining package $0.

Of course I had to book a higher class cabin, but I still come out ahead.

We always fly in a day before the cruise, ( winter weather can delay flights!!) and prefer Lauderdale airport. Some hotels have a cruise shuttle package to either Miami or Lauderdale ports. We always book Embassy Suites on 17th in Lauderdale; we love the location and the hotel. The online site allows you to book the cruise port shuttle option, including Miami port.

Hope you love your cruise!

Hello and welcome to CC!

Since I noticed you are from Pittsburgh (yeah go Steelers!) and oddly enough have boys right around both of mines ages (13 & 16) here I had to post!

What I want to note to you, is while it is a long drive down to Floria and Miami, I have found it to be a LOT cheaper driving from the 'burgh to Florida for 4. Sure it takes 2 days each way and 3 hotel rooms, but even with Southwest..

I was pricing recently and found for us to fly Southwest to Florida it would be roughly $2000ish. Flying out of Baltimore is actually a GOOD chunk cheaper than Pittsburgh on Southwest if you don't mind the 5 hour drive each way.

While it would cost $2000 to fly, I can drive to Miami for less than $700 including hotels, gas and food for 4 especially if you plan it out and get Groupon Hotels on the way.

Trust me I understand your want to get out of this weather! I would have loved to go in the middle of winter again (since you are taking them out of school already, look at the 1st week of December instead of the 1st week of January for really cheaper prices btw).

Happy Planning!

Thanks for the info!! I ended up booking Jan 3rd on the Norwegian Getaway, large balcony with the UDP.

Due to our jobs it was the best week for us. It get so annoying when jobs, school and sports make it difficult to vacation. LOL

So VERY excited.

We did consider driving, well I did, DH not so much. We drove for our Disney trip in 2012 and it was bad weather wise. We had to leave earlier than planned due to an expected ice storm in WV, then on the way back we hit snow in WV. It was not fun! I think if it were summer he would go for it, but not in the winter.

We have always flown SW but they are pricy, I did find direct flights from Spirit out of Latrobe around $900 including paying for baggage but have heard they delay and cancel a lot and since they don't have lots of flights a day, possibly only one later afternoon I am afraid to go that route. Do you know anyone who has flown with them? Looks like it may be Delta with a connection flight, we have never done that any my oldest really dislikes take offs and landings but we can do that for under $1000.