Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

You say it is sneaky because they notified way up front and if they waited until a few days prior to the change, others would be yelling that they should have advised them sooner. Looks like it is a no win for NCL.

BTW, how can it be sneaky, if you don't have to pay it up front???????

Why anyone would would pay for say a December cruise dsc now is beyond me. Maybe an April cruise the latest but later than that nope

Ncl will certainly raise some cash reserves with this deal Savvy cruisers with very upcoming cruises should certainly pay or secure the rate for payment at final payment

But any cruiser that gives ncl their significant dsc cash many many months in advance leaves me scratching my head

My cash stays with me as long as possible when it comes to something like this. Over $400 in dsc our last cruise that I prepaid 4 days pre cruise

Not giving up $400 10 months in advance...... I might need it for car repairs....etc

Also...... If a cruiser actually is in dire need of saving .95 pp pd and pays now by using an interest bearing credit card and takes more than a month to pay it off...... Well that leaves me rofl while scratching my head!!! Lol. Some sight huh!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Why anyone would would pay for say a December cruise dsc now is beyond me. Maybe an April cruise the latest but later than that nope

Ncl will certainly raise some cash reserves with this deal Savvy cruisers with very upcoming cruises should certainly pay or secure the rate for payment at final payment

But any cruiser that gives ncl their significant dsc cash many many months in advance leaves me scratching my head

My cash stays with me as long as possible when it comes to something like this. Over $400 in dsc our last cruise that I prepaid 4 days pre cruise

Not giving up $400 10 months in advance...... I might need it for car repairs....etc

But if you have plenty of money spare to pay those car repairs then it is just sitting in your bank earning a paltry interest rate. For people who have savings, prepaying your service charge to save nearly 8% tax free gives a very good return.

This is of course ignoring the fact that you probably don't actually need to pay it now to make that saving, but if you did then it would still make sense for those people who do have the cash spare.

The people who refer to an increase of .95 as paltry leave me shaking my head in disbelief. NCL is not known as upscale,attracting middle class passengers looking at maximum value for their money.. Why not make it $ 1.00? It is difficult to multiply .95 by the uneven days,but if NCL thought .95 paltry,why bother raising the fee at all? For someone paying for 2 people it is not a bank breaking sum, when you look at the amount raised fleet wide,it becomes a considerable source of income.

My most recent Breakaway cruise,the staff looked overwhelmed, the large amount of passengers on the ship required extra work resulting in tired staff, they do this week after week,so I think they have earned the increase. Again,why .95, keep it small but I think you will see more frequent small increases, people say it's only----,but fleetwide it makes a difference.

95 cent increase for most passengers per day isn't a huge deal, but LOL @ them saying you have to prepay tips by February 28 to avoid the increase.

Talk about a sneaky way to get your money several months early.

Honestly, as I said in a different thread, it is ridiculous for the tips to be affected by your booking date.

A tip is about service, meaning that it shouldn't matter if you booked last year or the day before sailing. Bottom line is the guy next door will get the same service as I do, so I should be expected to pay the same tips as he does. (Fares are different, because those are supposed to be variable depending upon many factors, while tips are supposed to completely be about quality of service.)

The fair thing here would be to start increasing the DSC only on ships that can't be booked until after March 1.

I might adjust mine down just out of this principle, though maybe I'll just leave it because the difference is so small.

I really do not understand why you think it is sneaky? Sooner or later they were going to raise the DSC. It has been $12 for several years. They had to set a date when it would take effect. Plus as you say, it isn't a big deal. We just went ahead and paid before the March 1st. I am glad to know it is all taken care of.

You say, tips are for good service? Yes you are right, but you also realize most lines do the same thing now. In fact I don't know a single mass marketed line that doesn't, do you? And most resorets now add a service charge of some kind, as well as many restaurants in Florida add an automatic tip. This is because of so much tourism and people coming from other countries.

If you want to adjust yours down, that is your option, it sounds a little spiteful to me, but each of us has to do what they are comfortable with doing.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Yep for some reason ncl is trying to raise cash now. The prepayment nonsense to save .95 is going to raise a ton of cash now for them.

Where are you getting the idea they are trying to raise money? You do realize the entire DSC goes into a pool for the crew members don't you? When other lines raised their service charges did they do it because they were trying to raise cash? To be honest, I would doubt many people who are sailing months out are going to pay the min charge up front...

You say it is sneaky because they notified way up front and if they waited until a few days prior to the change, others would be yelling that they should have advised them sooner. Looks like it is a no win for NCL.

BTW, how can it be sneaky, if you don't have to pay it up front???????

It is very sneaky because they are inserting a new term into the booking that didn't exist when these people booked!

They also don't bother to mention that you can avoid the $0.95/day increase by simply adjusting it down onboard. They make people think they have a choice between paying DSC way in advance, or paying the increase at the time. Again, that is misleading and sneaky.

The increase should have ZERO to do with prepaying tips. Basically NCL is saying, "Yes, we are giving you a way out of it, but only if you give us an interest free loan by prepaying tips for service you haveng received yet."

Those who prepaid tips before always defended doing so as "easier", "more convenient", and most importantly "it's my choice to do it, and doesn't hurt anyone".

Now it's no longer about personal choice, and NCL is tying a financial incentive to it.

You can't just say "They're giving you notice" because this contradicts what people thought they were paying when they booked, and the only way out of it is also unappealing for most.

I will have 3 people on my next cruise, which comes out to about $20. I think I will adjust it down and then just hand out a $20 bill to my favorite NCL employee. In fact, I suggest everyone else here do the same.

Edited by pokerpro5

Where are you getting the idea they are trying to raise money? You do realize the entire DSC goes into a pool for the crew members don't you? When other lines raised their service charges did they do it because they were trying to raise cash? To be honest, I would doubt many people who are sailing months out are going to pay the min charge up front...

If a lot of people do this, it's a nice interest free loan that they can spend now and pay (the crew) later, after the cruises complete many months from now.

How can you not see that?

I think I will adjust it down and then just hand out a $20 bill to my favorite NCL employee. In fact, I suggest everyone else here do the same.

Thanks, I'll pass. The only way I would adjust the service charge down is if the service that I received was sub-par.

Thanks, I'll pass. The only way I would adjust the service charge down is if the service that I received was sub-par.

Really?

So why haven't you been adjusting it up on previous cruises?

You only think they deserve $12.95/day when NCL says it's ok?

Really?

So why haven't you been adjusting it up on previous cruises?

You only think they deserve $12.95/day when NCL says it's ok?

If someone says they are going to sell me a pair of pants for $15 I don't say "well, they are worth $20 so here's $5 more":rolleyes:.

I pay the recommended rate, which is the extent of my obligation (although I will recognize those that go above and beyond with a cash tip).

But then the conversation wasn't about increasing the service charge, was it? It was about your suggestion to lower the service charge in protest, even if one NCL employee did benefit from said protest.

If a lot of people do this, it's a nice interest free loan that they can spend now and pay (the crew) later, after the cruises complete many months from now.

I saw that immediately but as the years go by and as a veteran parent of several college aid/ scholarship/ financial aid needing kids..... You would not believe how financially unaware many people ( the parents) are.

They are just oblivious and can not comprehend financial maneuvers. I guess those parents bypassed business classes in college!!! Lol. Jk don't get all nervous and upset posters out in there in cc lala land/ cyberspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the poster you quote means that Ncl gets YOUR cash now....holds on to it and pays NCL bills now... And pays your dsc to crew many months from now

The pax are floating Ncl a loan plain and simple and Ncl is happy to give you the .95 discount to do this.

Ncl has avoided going to a bank too

It is just like borrowing from a friend who is a cash cow as opposed to taking a credit card cash advance

The pax are the cash cow and we are charging Ncl .95

A bank would charge them lots more. This is actually a huge amount if money for Ncl and banks would require Ncl to jump thru hopes whereas we pax gladly seem to want to hand it over no questions asked for a small discount

Yes it's costing Ncl something but not nearly what it would cost them to go to a bank to float a huge loan.

Also...... If a cruiser actually is in dire need of saving .95 pp pd and pays now by using an interest bearing credit card and takes more than a month to pay it off...... Well that leaves me rofl while scratching my head!!! Lol. Some sight huh!!!

Actually there are several posts as to why it would be a good reason to pay early so if you read the thread it's not really beyond you........you just disagree. :rolleyes:

It is very sneaky because they are inserting a new term into the booking that didn't exist when these people booked!

They also don't bother to mention that you can avoid the $0.95/day increase by simply adjusting it down onboard. They make people think they have a choice between paying DSC way in advance, or paying the increase at the time. Again, that is misleading and sneaky.

The increase should have ZERO to do with prepaying tips. Basically NCL is saying, "Yes, we are giving you a way out of it, but only if you give us an interest free loan by prepaying tips for service you haveng received yet."

Those who prepaid tips before always defended doing so as "easier", "more convenient", and most importantly "it's my choice to do it, and doesn't hurt anyone".

Now it's no longer about personal choice, and NCL is tying a financial incentive to it.

You can't just say "They're giving you notice" because this contradicts what people thought they were paying when they booked, and the only way out of it is also unappealing for most.

I will have 3 people on my next cruise, which comes out to about $20. I think I will adjust it down and then just hand out a $20 bill to my favorite NCL employee. In fact, I suggest everyone else here do the same.

If you want to waste you time on a cruise standing in line to lower your DSC by $20 it's your choice. The rest of your post is pretty much your opinion which by the way it's worded, you seem to think your opinion is the only one that matters. I have the extra cash and I paid for my June cruise and it took less time here at my computer than it will take for you to just walk to GS much less explain why you are lowering your DSC.

NCL is giving those who do not want to look like an ass on board the chance to pay $12 instead of $12.95 per day if they so choose. Personally, I appreciate the head's up instead of finding out later during the cruise when nothing can be done.

I've taken your suggestion with a grain of salt and urge others not to waste their vacation time on such madness.

Who cares if it's an interest free loan if I'm saving $27 in the process? How do YOU not see that? :rolleyes:

I saw that immediately but as the years go by and as a veteran parent of several college aid/ scholarship/ financial aid needing kids..... You would not believe how financially unaware many people ( the parents) are.

They are just oblivious and can not comprehend financial maneuvers. I guess those parents bypassed business classes in college!!! Lol. Jk don't get all nervous and upset posters out in there in cc lala land/ cyberspace.

And some people miss the big picture because they are too busy looking for the loophole in the fine print. ;)

If NCLs financial strategy is to raise money by offering customers an 8% discount for paying something a few months early then they have serious problems.

The majority of people with cruises booked will be in the 4-8 month range, with relatively few 2016 cruises sold so far. If we take an average of 6 months then that means they are paying 16%.

Doesn't look to me like a cheap way to raise finance. If it was then the fact that people have reported being able to add it to final payment would indicate that they aren't even very good at it.

In addition, sending out emails to people saying they just have to prepay before sailing, and not right now, adds an extra layer of incompetence.

Or perhaps this particular theory doesn't quite add up.

Pre-paying the SC at the old rate saves you approx. 8%. (much more if you are in a suite)

Can you get an 8% return on your money at the moment? No.

It is a no-brainer.

If you have to pre-pay the SC now = 8% return

SC added to your final payment being made whenever is an even better return.

Some posters seem to be getting hung up on their principles to their potential financial detriment.

NCL are not doing this to raise finance because:

1. The amount is chump change in the overall scheme of things

2. They can raise finance a helluva lot cheaper than 8%+

BTW - I do a nice line in tin-foil hats - only 80 cents per day - you know it makes sense!:rolleyes:

Edited by SteveH2508

I think the poster you quote means that Ncl gets YOUR cash now....holds on to it and pays NCL bills now... And pays your dsc to crew many months from now

The pax are floating Ncl a loan plain and simple and Ncl is happy to give you the .95 discount to do this.

Ncl has avoided going to a bank too

It is just like borrowing from a friend who is a cash cow as opposed to taking a credit card cash advance

The pax are the cash cow and we are charging Ncl .95

A bank would charge them lots more. This is actually a huge amount if money for Ncl and banks would require Ncl to jump thru hopes whereas we pax gladly seem to want to hand it over no questions asked for a small discount

Yes it's costing Ncl something but not nearly what it would cost them to go to a bank to float a huge loan.

So now we have double secret information that NCL is sinking

And cannot survive to pay its employees unless they either get a loan from a bank OR-

Use our 95 cents pp/pd to avoid bankruptcy?

I called and have pp now( meaning with final February 2016 and June 2016)- they are getting nothing extra from us.

I actually appreciate the opportunity to have it added to my invoice.

All these assertions that we are saving NCLs hide are just out there.

Cannot even believe that this thread is still going!

I paid my gratuities for my December cruise when I made the reservation a year ago (way before the increase was announced). Why? Because I just wanted to get it over. Scratch your head all you want, but spending $84 will have no bearing on my life and I will not be in dire need of it if I need car repairs. BTW, I pay my credit care off monthly (as do many, many people); I haven't paid interest to a credit card company in over 15 years or so. Edited by NLH Arizona

First off, I would never reduce or deduct the DSC from my cruises; the crew works hard and I've never had an issue on any of my cruises (over 35 in all on a number of cruise lines), in fact, I have always tipped more than the DSC or the amount recommended by the cruise line. Secondly, you have every right to adjust your DSC down, but I doubt you will get too many followers, because most don't have a problem with less than a dollar a day or $20.

Sounds to me that you don't really care for the way NCL does business, may I suggest Crystal Cruises (one of the other lines I cruise on), where gratuities are included in the cost of your cruise, along with specialty restaurants and drinks.

Wow! I think most are savvy about business, but $1 a day is no big deal to most. And the biggest point, NO ONE IS FOCING ANYONE TO PAY FOR THIS UP FRONT and YOU CAN FREELY DEDUCT THE $1 A DAY FROM YOUR DSC ON YOUR CRUISE. I would imagine, that if someone is really upset about $1 a day more, they are in an unhealthy financial situation and it would probably be best for them to reduce their DSC, as has been said, so they can apply it to the interest they pay on their credit card. Edited by NLH Arizona

Wow! I think most are savvy about business, but $1 a day is no big deal to most. And the biggest point, NO ONE IS FOCING ANYONE TO PAY FOR THIS UP FRONT and YOU CAN FREELY DEDUCT THE $1 A DAY FROM YOUR DSC ON YOUR CRUISE. I would imagine, that if someone is really upset about $1 a day more, they are in an unhealthy financial situation and it would probably be best for them to reduce their DSC, as has been said, so they can apply it to the interest they pay on their credit card.

Actually, if the extra dollar a day is causing financial stress to someone or they only have a couple of hundred in savings they probably shouldn't be cruising to begin with. ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

It isn't a matter of a couple of dollars causing stress, I have no reason to give NCL $200 for something I know I can get for $180.

We can now choose to spend that extra $20 on something else: ice bar, bingo, my at home airport parking, etc. I intended to prepay our DSC anyway, I just did it ahead of final payment rather than after. With all of the savings accounts I have not one would turn my $180 into 200 before August of 2015, lol!

So now we have double secret information that NCL is sinking

And cannot survive to pay its employees unless they either get a loan from a bank OR-

Use our 95 cents pp/pd to avoid bankruptcy?

I called and have pp now( meaning with final February 2016 and June 2016)- they are getting nothing extra from us.

I actually appreciate the opportunity to have it added to my invoice.

All these assertions that we are saving NCLs hide are just out there.

Cannot even believe that this thread is still going!

Talk about making stuff up!!!

If you can't see that Ncl will have a cash windfall with this deal....I can help that

I never said they were in an financial straights I just said they are essentially borrowing money without going to a bank

There are many ways for a company to raise cash.... This is just one of them

Haven't you ever shopped a sale? That too is a way for a company to not only move merchandise but to raise cash.

It's done all the time and doesn't mean anything other than it is a viable business strategy

Edited by luvtheships