Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

I agree that your email is clear. However, the email sent to TAs was equally clear that they need to be paid my the 28th. The net effect is an unclear message.

As I said, your email means that you can argue the point if it became necessary (which I doubt it will). However, if it was me I'd do it bears then just to avoid the risk of having to make any argument (however unlikely that risk is).

I'm not paying gratuities in Feb 2015 for a cruise in December 2016.

I don't know either, but if it is a pool which is then distributed then it doesn't actually matter. The pool total should gradually increase over time as less people are fixed into the old rate, so the amounts distributed to each person would also gradually increase.

As with so much on this subject, this is just speculation.

Sounds like reasonable speculation to me, if it is all a pool what you said makes sense.

It's interesting that this article says:

"The charge is used to pay restaurant servers, room stewards, behind-the-scenes support staff, concierges and butlers."

I would guess that this is just speculation on the part of the person who wrote the article.

It's got to be a pool. No different then someone paying the full amount and another cabin lowering the amount or taking it away. People pay different amounts.

but if I hand my steward an extra $50 does he get to pocket that or does it go into the pool?

Edited by amarvel

But I don't think you have to. I've prepaid ours, but all that means is that it is added to final payment. Someone on this thread confirmed that is the case in the US if you phone up to do it.

Well that does change things, but honestly, that was something that was starting to really irritate me with Royal Caribbean. They would force me into My Time Dining and force me to pay gratuities with final payment, but let traditional diners be charged onboard/pay with OBC. Just irked me. 5 cruises in a row, some booked over a year in advance and could not get a traditional dining time? Riiiiiiight...

Even if it costs me a bit more to be charged on board, I'd prefer it that way as if there is any service issue I still have the opportunity to have onboard management address it, and if not solved I can use my own discretion to adjust.

This instance is somewhat different though in that prepaying does give me the benefit of a net discount, which is the only circumstance under which I prepay things in the rest of my life; if there is a cost benefit to doing so.

Will have to see how I feel about it as we get nearer to sailing.

I agree that the verbiage in the most recent e-mail is very confusing. Does it mean that as long as you book before March 1 and pre-pay online then you only have to pay the current fee.

I am surprise that the NCL customer relations department has not posted yet to clarify this point.

I agree that the verbiage in the most recent e-mail is very confusing. Does it mean that as long as you book before March 1 and pre-pay online then you only have to pay the current fee.

I am surprise that the NCL customer relations department has not posted yet to clarify this point.

Maybe they're still trying to figure it out.

I have a booking of B9 (balcony SPA) on Breakaway. I just went to prepay my service charges and surprisingly it's $14. I did not know that the B9 is considered a suite, I expected to see $12. :confused:

Sometimes that's a glitch.

Double check the total amount they're asking you to prepay. Does that amount equal $12 per person per day? If so, that's all they're going to charge you.

It's interesting that this article says:

"The charge is used to pay restaurant servers, room stewards, behind-the-scenes support staff, concierges and butlers."

Yep I thought so too since it is not the case when I spoke with NCL and asked for verification of who gets the DSC.

With the differentiation between suites & standard cabins, does this mean that this tip is expected to cover butler, concierge and Haven staff?

And for all those people arguing that $20+ a day was "reasonable" for a butler tip, what do you think of the $2 differential to include them? Shows perhaps what NCL considers standard tip for a butler and concierge.

I would be curious to hear the answer to that? We do not book suites, so it doesn't affect us, bnd cut it is a good question. We just found out about the change from our TA yesterday and choose to pre pay ours. It will be easier and our final statement will look a lot lower.

Hello, already paying 4+ times the cruise fare to have a suite and the services, now you are also paying more for service charges. First of all the butler and concierge are your go to people in a suite, with the cabin steward 3rd. The first 2 are not included in the DSC, so if you tip all 3 in cash what does that leave? Bars add the gratuity and we always leave extra, the MDR we leave a cash tip, specialty restaurants add a fee and we always leave a cash tip. Never eat in the buffet and I do not feel it is up to me to pay their salary. The employer is NCL.

Hello, already paying 4+ times the cruise fare to have a suite and the services, now you are also paying more for service charges. First of all the butler and concierge are your go to people in a suite, with the cabin steward 3rd. The first 2 are not included in the DSC, so if you tip all 3 in cash what does that leave? Bars add the gratuity and we always leave extra, the MDR we leave a cash tip, specialty restaurants add a fee and we always leave a cash tip. Never eat in the buffet and I do not feel it is up to me to pay their salary. The employer is NCL.

If you leave a cash tip in the MDR and speciality restaurants then that is your choice. The point of the DSC is that these things are optional.

As for the buffet, there are always some venues or services which individuals don't use. You don't use the buffet, there are other things which we don't use, and it all evens itself out.

You are also forgetting the back room staff (laundry etc) who are apparently covered by the DSC.

Finally, we don't yet know for sure that the Butler and Concierge aren't now covered. The balance of the reports suggests not, but I'd wait to find out for sure before basing any arguments on it, one way or the other.

to be blunt: Your choice to sail, don't like the policies, don't sail. Also your choice to sail suites, no one is forcing you to pay 4 times the price.

Do you not think the stewards and behind the scenes people who also share the DSC don't deserve an little increase, the DSC has not been raised since 2009.

for suites we are talking an increase of 21 dollars per person for a 7 day cruise, come on really

Edited by pieshops

Before auto charge gratuities back of house people like laundry were not on the tip pool. Do I think they deserve a share of service tips? No. I feel they should be paid a proper guaranteed wage. It's a shame they are paid out of tips. Their wages should be fair and guaranteed by their employer. People who provide face to face guest services are the ones who earn and deserve tips. The rest shouldn't be forced to rely on that.

Before auto charge gratuities back of house people like laundry were not on the tip pool. Do I think they deserve a share of service tips? No. I feel they should be paid a proper guaranteed wage. It's a shame they are paid out of tips. Their wages should be fair and guaranteed by their employer. People who provide face to face guest services are the ones who earn and deserve tips. The rest shouldn't be forced to rely on that.

I agree with much of that.

However, that isn't the way that NCL do it, and nobody forces us to cruise with them. It's our choice, and by booking with them, we agree to their terms regardless of whether we think they should be done that way at all.

Personally, every time I look at any discussion about tips it just reinforces my opinion that tipping is a ridiculous way of paying any staff full stop. I would much rather everyone was just paid a decent wage and then people wouldn't have to waste such energy on debating what they should do, and worrying about getting it all wrong. I'm really pleased that in many areas tipping has now become a thing of the past here in the UK.

Having said that, I have to just accept that in other places tipping is still required, and if I choose to visit those places then I just accept the recommendations and go along with it, regardless of my personal opinion about tipping.

I agree with much of that.

However, that isn't the way that NCL do it, and nobody forces us to cruise with them. It's our choice, and by booking with them, we agree to their terms regardless of whether we think they should be done that way at all.

Personally, every time I look at any discussion about tips it just reinforces my opinion that tipping is a ridiculous way of paying any staff full stop. I would much rather everyone was just paid a decent wage and then people wouldn't have to waste such energy on debating what they should do, and worrying about getting it all wrong. I'm really pleased that in many areas tipping has now become a thing of the past here in the UK.

Having said that, I have to just accept that in other places tipping is still required, and if I choose to visit those places then I just accept the recommendations and go along with it, regardless of my personal opinion about tipping.

Yeah I go along with it because I'm not going to penalize these hard workers but whenever someone says don't they deserve tips; no. They deserve better. Nowhere else can I think of where a laundry department relies on tips

Im curious why the suites are being charged more. If it covers the Butler and concierge then that makes sense but if not there's nothing more for that DSC that you get in a suite that you don't get in an any other room.

Suites are larger than regular cabins, hence staff has more work to do. I don't believe that the increase will now include the Butler, concierge, or child care staff. They were not part of the tipping pool. Passengers tip them separately if they use their services.

Suites are larger than regular cabins, hence staff has more work to do. I don't believe that the increase will now include the Butler, concierge, or child care staff. They were not part of the tipping pool. Passengers tip them separately if they use their services.

I have contacted NCL and they are trying to figure out why the $2 more for suite passengers. They have confirmed it is not going towards the butler, consierge or dedicated wait staff. The email received makes it seem like the DSC price increase will cover all staff that you utilize. I think NCL has made a bad mistake by not including a reason for the price difference between suites and non suites as well as including a statement that the price difference does not cover gratuities for butlers, concierges and the dedicated wait staff. Unless they clarify this before it is implemented I see many unhappy suite staff members on the NCL ships. I am hoping they heed the advice I offered them and they clarify to all. I do not have an issue with a price increase but there needs to be a better explanation while doing so in the manner where they have certain rooms pay more.

I find it absolutely amazing how threads like this bring out the miser in so many. We as cruisers have so much that we can afford the luxury of a cruise vacation. Yet, a topic like this puts people into hoard mode.

The service charges have not changed in 5 years and so many are up in arms. I am willing to bet that those same people have received a number of raises in that same period of time. And don't give me the "NCL is the employer and should pay a fair wage" excuse. If the fares went up enough to cover the service charges being included, along with NCL's increased tax burden, the outcry would be deafening. This is the cruise lines (all of them) business model and it has worked out well for many many years.

I find it absolutely amazing how threads like this bring out the miser in so many. We as cruisers have so much that we can afford the luxury of a cruise vacation. Yet, a topic like this puts people into hoard mode.

The service charges have not changed in 5 years and so many are up in arms. I am willing to bet that those same people have received a number of raises in that same period of time. And don't give me the "NCL is the employer and should pay a fair wage" excuse. If the fares went up enough to cover the service charges being included, along with NCL's increased tax burden, the outcry would be deafening. This is the cruise lines (all of them) business model and it has worked out well for many many years.

Best response all day, people hate to hear the truth

Although by far the majority of posts on this subject have been about the lack of clarity. A few people seem to be complaining about the rise, but I'd say that more people have expressed that they think the rise is fair and perhaps overdue.

Not disagreeing with much of what you have said, but my observation would have been how well people have accepted the rise.