Questions for Quantum Cruisers

Hello!

Thanks so much to all who have cruised the Quantum already and are being so kind to come and answer all our questions. You are all so fantastic!!

I've been reading and re-reading and re-reading and I hope I'm not repeating questions already asked and I just don't seem to see the answers to.

1 - The Royal iQ app; to use this you need a wifi connection, yes? So if I don't buy the no longer free wifi it's useless to me? I'm travelling with two teens boys and I don't want to buy wifi...I want them to enjoy the activities, not their phones. hee hee

2 - Northstar tickets: I've been looking for Cruise Compasses that are for my itinerary (Florida & Bahamas) and I see from others that you can pick up Northstar tickets in the mornings. Do you just get up and go get in a line, and hope you get a ticket, and if not get up the next day? Or is there some other way of getting them?

3 - Excursions: there are very few (for the amount of people on the boat) listed on the RCCL website. Are there more available once you get on the boat? I don't want to sign up for one of the two snorkel choices (can't afford the Atlantis choices for 4 people) just to find there are better or more choices once I am on board. We've been to Nassau twice before; once we took an island tour by bus and another we got off, walked around a bit, got tired of being hassled to braid my hair, so we had a cup of coffee in a small coffee shop near the port and got back on the boat. Left the kids on board for that one. :)

Thank you so much!! We aren't travelling until March, but I am so exited to get away from this NJ cold weather I am totally in crusin' mode now!!

We had free wifi on 1/23 so can't really answer the question re: Royal IQ. I will say that it did show my calendar (some of it with double restaurant bookings (LOL), it did not show my luggage, and texting through the app was pretty hit or miss. We used regular text messaging via the wifi for that.

They did not give out tickets to North Star, and told me that they were no longer going to do that. You'll have to line up when you see a short(er) line. They had problems with tickets because the North Star shuts down due to weather and other operating difficulties. People who had tickets for a time when it was shut down came back when it was working and demanded to be accommodated ahead of the new people, who had tickets for that particular working time, thus unpleasantness ensued. (or worse). So it's just first come; first served. If it breaks down, go away, come back and get back on line when it's working.

If you're hanging around the pool deck you'll see a number of times when the lines are shorter. Don't stress about it. We went once, and had no desire to go again, but noticed no line just before 6:00 pm one day, so we went again.

Also, as an aside - I stressed a lot about Star Water, getting there early to get a good seat etc. We saw it 2 and a half times - the other 1 and a half just wandered in before it started. They show it A LOT. They show it so much that sometimes there's nothing else to do at night.

Also, excursions. We had a different itinerary so can't address what they listed for yours, but you're right - there seemed to be fewer excursions offered than in the past. We booked two - one of which we had done two years ago on Allure (St. John Champagne catamaran sail). It left at 7:30 a.m. - obviously added for Quantum, since Oasis had a more civilized meeting time and those passengers were showing up as we were finishing.

Then we did the Americas Cup sailing regatta in St. Maarten, which also had a lousy time - right in the middle of the day so you didn't have time to do much either earlier or later in the day.

We've only been to Nassau once, on Allure. We just walked over to Junkanoo beach and sat there for an hour. It was cold. Then walked around a little bit in town and got back on the ship (1:30 sail away). It was pretty much a throwaway port.

We had free wifi on 1/23 so can't really answer the question re: Royal IQ. I will say that it did show my calendar (some of it with double restaurant bookings (LOL), it did not show my luggage, and texting through the app was pretty hit or miss. We used regular text messaging via the wifi for that.

They did not give out tickets to North Star, and told me that they were no longer going to do that. You'll have to line up when you see a short(er) line. They had problems with tickets because the North Star shuts down due to weather and other operating difficulties. People who had tickets for a time when it was shut down came back when it was working and demanded to be accommodated ahead of the new people, who had tickets for that particular working time, thus unpleasantness ensued. (or worse). So it's just first come; first served. If it breaks down, go away, come back and get back on line when it's working.

If you're hanging around the pool deck you'll see a number of times when the lines are shorter. Don't stress about it. We went once, and had no desire to go again, but noticed no line just before 6:00 pm one day, so we went again.

Also, as an aside - I stressed a lot about Star Water, getting there early to get a good seat etc. We saw it 2 and a half times - the other 1 and a half just wandered in before it started. They show it A LOT. They show it so much that sometimes there's nothing else to do at night.

Thank you - good to know about Northstar. All the CC I have been seeing are older.

I'm actually "double booked" for Starwater, acc to RCCL as I have a dinner reservation at 9 in AIG and Starwater is at 10:30. We're prolly going to try to switch when we get on board or just walk up earlier. But I wanted to make sure we had something.

What was your experience with excursions?

Hi!

Don't worry about Starwater. Your kids will get up during the show and leave and go to the teen club. Let them. The show is awful. It's all flashing lights, vogueing, women shouting (not singing), skinny bare chested men hanging from silk ropes and strobe lights pulsing. There will be PLENTY of seats throughout your cruise. Concentrate on the ports and the outside activities - there will be hundreds of children/teens on your sailing - grab your chairs early by the pool and don't let go!

- Miriam

Thank you - good to know about Northstar. All the CC I have been seeing are older.

I'm actually "double booked" for Starwater, acc to RCCL as I have a dinner reservation at 9 in AIG and Starwater is at 10:30. We're prolly going to try to switch when we get on board or just walk up earlier. But I wanted to make sure we had something.

No tickets for North Star - queue much shorter - I have seen North Star with only two people onboard.

I would just show up for dinner in AIG a bit earlier - at 8:30 there will be empty tables - also you might not need two hours for dining.

From what I have read, the Royal IQ App uses the ships internal network (intranet). So the IQ App will work without getting the internet plan.

Correct - no internet plan needed for the iQ app

I believe to use the IQ App for texting on the ship network it costs $14.99 per device so between two people it is $30 and this is separate from the Internet Plan options.

You are right - a fee for text and voice using the iQ app - price might depend on length of the cruise.

You can always get information for non ship excursions on trip advisor or

Bahamas CC board. So much great info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I have found on ships past that they really push Atlantis. They must get a BIG kick back. I have also never heard someone talk about how great Atlantis was. I have heard lots and lots of complaints but we have never gone. Except to look at the boat show from the water one year on a charter.

Until I found Cable beach I was not a fan of Nassau at all now I am looking forward to it.

We are on the March 29th cruise how about you?

North Star, no tickets required--Await in line and they allow a total of 12 Pax + RCL staff member. The typical ride is 8-10 minutes and usually goes up and down as they are not allowed to go at side and above the water in many ports and on windy days. We went and waited in line when they began at 8 am one morning and not too much of a wait. It is a great sight to do the NS when in port.

Did the I-fly and it was a thrill and the longest minute of my life--need reservations ahead of time. Also did the bumper cars and it was a lot of fun and brought back some great memories.

Hello!

Thanks so much to all who have cruised the Quantum already and are being so kind to come and answer all our questions. You are all so fantastic!!

I've been reading and re-reading and re-reading and I hope I'm not repeating questions already asked and I just don't seem to see the answers to.

1 - The Royal iQ app; to use this you need a wifi connection, yes? So if I don't buy the no longer free wifi it's useless to me? I'm travelling with two teens boys and I don't want to buy wifi...I want them to enjoy the activities, not their phones. hee hee

2 - Northstar tickets: I've been looking for Cruise Compasses that are for my itinerary (Florida & Bahamas) and I see from others that you can pick up Northstar tickets in the mornings. Do you just get up and go get in a line, and hope you get a ticket, and if not get up the next day? Or is there some other way of getting them?

3 - Excursions: there are very few (for the amount of people on the boat) listed on the RCCL website. Are there more available once you get on the boat? I don't want to sign up for one of the two snorkel choices (can't afford the Atlantis choices for 4 people) just to find there are better or more choices once I am on board. We've been to Nassau twice before; once we took an island tour by bus and another we got off, walked around a bit, got tired of being hassled to braid my hair, so we had a cup of coffee in a small coffee shop near the port and got back on the boat. Left the kids on board for that one. :)

Thank you so much!! We aren't travelling until March, but I am so exited to get away from this NJ cold weather I am totally in crusin' mode now!!

With the north star seemed to have shorter lines early early so depending on kids age may not work early.

Excursions in the eastern caribbean were ok lots to book when in town.

Star water was ok again depending on kids ages and/or your age may not like this show it was not for everyone but still should see it.

• 3 weeks later...
You can always get information for non ship excursions on trip advisor or

Bahamas CC board. So much great info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I have found on ships past that they really push Atlantis. They must get a BIG kick back. I have also never heard someone talk about how great Atlantis was. I have heard lots and lots of complaints but we have never gone. Except to look at the boat show from the water one year on a charter.

Until I found Cable beach I was not a fan of Nassau at all now I am looking forward to it.

We are on the March 29th cruise how about you?

We are on same cruise Jenjer. Where is Cable beach? We still don't know what we are doing in Nassau. I think it will depend on what is open on the boat during port days. Our past cruises, pretty much everything shut down, to get you off the boat and into port. I've read here that, weather permitting of course, the NorthStar runs. But hope to get some time doing other things too.