Children and dining dress codes

weluvtravel

Hello

My husband, myself, my parents and my children are all taking a Princess cruise to Alaska this summer. I haven't been on a cruise in 12 years and this will be the first one for my children. My mom bought my son an outfit for formal nights. It is dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt, a tie, and a sweater vest (no sleeves). It is very "preppy looking" and nice. I am just wondering if we will have a problem getting into the MDR on formal nights as he won't have a suit jacket or sports coat on. He does not own one and I prefer not to purchase one just for the trip. He is 10--so not sure if the dress code is a little more relaxed for kids? Thanks for any help!

Your son's outfit sounds like it will look really nice and I am sure will be fine for the MDR. On one cruise we did see a teen boy get turned away from the dining room wearing jeans and t-shirt and basketball shoes; that whole confrontation was rather sad as the family was upset with their son over his attire. Have a great cruise with your family!

Hello

My husband, myself, my parents and my children are all taking a Princess cruise to Alaska this summer. I haven't been on a cruise in 12 years and this will be the first one for my children. My mom bought my son an outfit for formal nights. It is dress pants, a long sleeve dress shirt, a tie, and a sweater vest (no sleeves). It is very "preppy looking" and nice. I am just wondering if we will have a problem getting into the MDR on formal nights as he won't have a suit jacket or sports coat on. He does not own one and I prefer not to purchase one just for the trip. He is 10--so not sure if the dress code is a little more relaxed for kids? Thanks for any help!

How great for you and your kids! It sounds to me like your son will be very nicely dressed and will likely get a lot of attention from the waiters in MDR. If he likes ice cream be sure to tell him to try the Volcano for desert. :D

He will be fine. After my son grew 7 inches last year I could not justify buying another tuxedo for our Hawaii cruise with three formal nights. I bought two tuxedo vests in different colors with matching bow ties, a pair of dress pants and one tuxedo shirt. He looked better than most of the men in the mdr.

Edited by 24639

Your son will look terrific. He will get all kinds of approving looks from the rest of the passengers. When my grandsons went on their first cruise, they wore the little tuxes they had just worn for a wedding they were in. They were hand-me-downs from other family members. They were so cute, and we got pictures done with just them. Later, they had outgrown the tuxes, so we got them inexpensive suits with vests, not jackets, shirts and ties. Again, they looked great, and no one objected to their dress on formal night. No one really expects to see a child in a tux, so any effort at dressing up will be seen as extremely cute and will be much appreciated by everyone in the dining room.

Exactly what my grandson wore on his first cruise. Although on all his cruises he "insisted" on a suit. Fortunately Sears and Kohl's have good sales. Because of his rapid growth lately (age 15) he wore a navy blazer with nice pants, shirt and tie on last cruise.

I read an article once that said that exact thing. Ties were originally developed to catch the food so you shirt keep clean. I am not sure that is true but it sounds good. Some militaries wore them in leather to protect their necks from being slashed by sabre'. That sounds to me like a better form of protection. No blood on the shirt, lol.