Chankanaab - Manatee Encounter

suebbbhoney

Yes..

It was about 30 min.

Slow moving like them.

You feed them lettuce and watch them swim back and forth while you are standing on a metal ledge (it is safe about 3 feet wide).

You are in a group of about 8-10 others.

It was OK, probably wont do again.

Did the dolphin push pull twice that did include the manatees for just about 10 min.

Enjoyed dolphins, but pricey.

Safe travels.

We did just the manatees a few years ago and it was AWESOME!!! Don't forget that it also includes admission to Chakanaab so you get the sea lion show, access to the beach and snorkeling. We brought our own snorkeling stuff but I think it was an extra $15 +/- to rent the equipment. They also have plenty of beach chairs and drinks available for purchase. It's really an all day experience.

I would not hesitate to book it even my 70+ grandmother did it and loved it as did my 20 year old cousin.

We are actually thinking about booking it again for our April cruise. I prefer it over the dolphins I felt like we got more time interacting with the manatees.

Besides the portion where you stand and feed them, we also were given a chance to snorkel, with them, sort of a free swim/feed the manatees. We did it twice. One time it was DD, DH and me only doing the encounter. It was in January and so cold, we left at the free swim portion. We went back in May of the same year to do it and there were about 10 people.

• 2 weeks later...

They are so cute and gentle. We did the dolphin swim and they let us do the manatee for free at the end.

I didn't realize until that day that manatees can be trained too. They would go on their sides and wave at you with their flippers and lay on their back and clap. :D

IMG_5862-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

• 7 months later...

Our two grand-kids (15,16) did the Manatee Encounter this past April.

They really lucked out as they were the only two, so had the 5 manatees to themselves for the entire 45 min. The first half was spent on the submerged deck with the manatees passing for petting/feeding/tricks etc. But the real fun for them was when they swam out into the open water to play with the manatees. Picture this, the kids are bobbing vertically in the water (with life vests) and the manatees would come up to them face to face also vertically. The kids would feed them the lettuce and several times the manatees would eat while wrapping their 'arms' loosely around the kids. They loved it and never felt intimidated or fearful.

Anyway, this was the arrangements we went with -

Cozumel-tours.com Manatee Encounter $53

- includes park entrance (Adults $21)

- Three Times Daily Except Sundays at 10:00 AM, 2:00 PM and 3:30

- Manatee Encounter is 45 Minutes.

- You can use the park facilities all day

- park hours 9AM - 5PM

*check their website for any changes.

We booked with them online and selected our time slot.

Considering the park admission fee, we found the addt'l $32 for the swim to be quite a bargain.

For my daughters birthday in 2010 we did dolphin royal swim, manatee encounter and sea lion swim. We loved the manatees. There were only 4 in all and we had about 40 min or so with them. They gave us snorkel masks to look under water. We could free swim with them while feeding them. It was a wonderful experience and I would love to do again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy to hear such great reviews! We are scheduled to do this in December and can't wait! A couple of questions:

1. If we own snorkel gear, should we bring it with us to the manatee encounter?

2. Should we bring sand pails and shovels to play with at the park during our down time? Is there a sandy play area or beach?

3. How big are the lockers? We are planning to bring our snorkel gear for the snorkel area, but want to store it for our dolphin encounter. Do the lockers cost money? If so, how much?

Thanks so much!

I'm so happy to hear such great reviews! We are scheduled to do this in December and can't wait! A couple of questions:

1. If we own snorkel gear, should we bring it with us to the manatee encounter?

2. Should we bring sand pails and shovels to play with at the park during our down time? Is there a sandy play area or beach?

3. How big are the lockers? We are planning to bring our snorkel gear for the snorkel area, but want to store it for our dolphin encounter. Do the lockers cost money? If so, how much?

Thanks so much!

The lockers cost, but I don't remember them costing much. Definately cheaper than renting snorkel gear - plus I like my own mask and snorkel. Snorkelling at the park is pretty cool, so I would bring my gear to snorkel with outside of doing the manatees. It is a little tricky to get in the water to snorkel (you hike down some steps), but totally worth it.

I don't think you need your snorkel gear for the encounter. You stand on a platform.

Yes, bring sand pails. There is a little sheltered cove/lagoon type area where even the littlest of kids can splash in the water without any waves and there is tons of sand. My kids were 2 and 6 last time and I had a hard time dragging them away from building sand castles.

The lockers cost, but I don't remember them costing much. Definately cheaper than renting snorkel gear - plus I like my own mask and snorkel. Snorkelling at the park is pretty cool, so I would bring my gear to snorkel with outside of doing the manatees. It is a little tricky to get in the water to snorkel (you hike down some steps), but totally worth it.

I don't think you need your snorkel gear for the encounter. You stand on a platform.

Yes, bring sand pails. There is a little sheltered cove/lagoon type area where even the littlest of kids can splash in the water without any waves and there is tons of sand. My kids were 2 and 6 last time and I had a hard time dragging them away from building sand castles.

Thanks so much for the info! Would you happen to remember if the lockers required pesos or if you could use a credit card for them?

Thanks so much for the info! Would you happen to remember if the lockers required pesos or if you could use a credit card for them?

I know I didn't get any pesos, so I must have been able to use a credit card!! Make sure you call your credit card company and tell them you will be travelling overseas and dates you will visit each country!!

About using your snorkel gear with the manatees, our grand kids didn't have them so not sure if it is allowed. If so, I would recommend using them as the kids were on the platform for only the beginning part, then swam (with life vests) out into the open area to play with the manatees.

When I did the manatee encounter they let me use my own snorkel mask, but a snorkel was not allowed. Cameras were not allowed. The lockers were no charge, though on a crowded day maybe they run out and you have to use the pay ones in the snorkel area.

My very long Cozumel report includes the part with the manatees (just ctrl-f for manatee to find it if you don't want to read the rest) http://skittles-skates.blogspot.com/2014/02/scuba-trip-report.html

• 3 weeks later...
When I did the manatee encounter they let me use my own snorkel mask, but a snorkel was not allowed. Cameras were not allowed. The lockers were no charge, though on a crowded day maybe they run out and you have to use the pay ones in the snorkel area.

My very long Cozumel report includes the part with the manatees (just ctrl-f for manatee to find it if you don't want to read the rest) http://skittles-skates.blogspot.com/2014/02/scuba-trip-report.html

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info!

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for the manatee experience? I was thinking of taking my son to do this- he's 6. I thought I saw on the website children as young as three were okay to do this, but then I saw in small print at the bottom children 8-12 should be accompanied by a parent for the swim. Can children younger than 8 not participate?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting all the helpful info! I was on the fence as to whether it was worth the price but after reading the comments I've decided to splurge and pay the extra to visit with the manatees. My question is on timing of the activity and amount of time it will take to get back to the ship...

I will be on RCCL Liberty of the Seas in Cozumel on Sept. 6, 2016. I looked on the Port schedule and it looks like we will be docked at the TMM Int.'l port. I'm thinking I would like to do this last since I won't want to go into town or shop after being sandy and wet. If I sign up for the 2pm time slot, will I be back to the ship with time to spare if we are scheduled to leave at 4pm? Or am I cutting it too close?

Thanks!!

Michelle

We had the best time (2nd week of Dec). Got our tickets through cozumel-tours and paid $53 each. $12 cab ride from the NCL port. Went in with a group of 11 and 2 trainers. 7 of the 11 were paying attention to one trainer, while the 4 of us were talking to the other trainer and feeding one manatee. She got called away to help with the dolphins, gave us more lettuce and said keep feeding. At one point we had 4 manatees with us (while the other 7 were stlll doing pictures with one)! We had about 20 with just them, it was awesome. The other 7 finished, we got our pics, but then people that had either the dolphins or sea lions had to go, so we still got another 15 minutes. All in all, we were in the water with them for about 50 minutes.

I will be stopping in Cozumel on my next cruise in Feb, will def. be doing this again! Loved the spotless park!

1214745549_dmanatee.jpg.76b9611a163278709efb99d084312d6e.jpg

Does anyone know if there is an age limit for the manatee experience? I was thinking of taking my son to do this- he's 6. I thought I saw on the website children as young as three were okay to do this, but then I saw in small print at the bottom children 8-12 should be accompanied by a parent for the swim. Can children younger than 8 not participate?

I believe it is 8-12 yrs old, but would also have to be atleast 4 ft tall.

Thanks for posting all the helpful info! I was on the fence as to whether it was worth the price but after reading the comments I've decided to splurge and pay the extra to visit with the manatees. My question is on timing of the activity and amount of time it will take to get back to the ship...

I will be on RCCL Liberty of the Seas in Cozumel on Sept. 6, 2016. I looked on the Port schedule and it looks like we will be docked at the TMM Int.'l port. I'm thinking I would like to do this last since I won't want to go into town or shop after being sandy and wet. If I sign up for the 2pm time slot, will I be back to the ship with time to spare if we are scheduled to leave at 4pm? Or am I cutting it too close?

Thanks!!

Michelle

I'm thinking it's cutting it really close. You would have to get out of the water, grab your stuff and rush to catch a cab (and pray there's no traffic). You also wouldn't have any time to get pics or the cd.