daily service charge

megann831

How does the waiter I just tipped know if I've paid my service charge or not? And no...swiping your card at the dining room entrance doesn't do it. I could be eating with other passengers I'm traveling with, but only one card is swiped for my party of six (for example). No one knows who left the tip and even who the other people at the table are because only my card was swiped. And, even if they could tell, if I wait until the last night after dinner to remove my service charge it would appear as if my service charge was paid all throughout the cruise at every meal I ate. Same with my steward. I tip him before I go to dinner on the last night (that's not a hypothetical...it's how I normally do it) so all along I'm not on that (possibly mythical) list of service charge stiffers. As far as the steward knows I'm one of the good guys who paid the service charge and he's free to keep the tip.

That's why IMO the stories about crew being required to turn in cash tips are a Cruise Critic myth. It simply wouldn't be possible to enforce. It fails the common sense sniff test.

Since when does a corporate policy need to make sense or be enforceable to be promulgated? Yes, a waiter would have a hard time knowing if someone removed the charge but a room steward would not have that hard of a time figuring it out.

...hard time knowing if someone removed the charge but a room steward would not have that hard of a time figuring it out.

I'm curious how this works. Please, enlighten us. Does the steward have to investigate each room as to the status of the pax DSC? Does he go snoop around the purser's desk, or does he have a computer in his work area? Does he receive a report? During the cruise? At the end? When someone hands him $60 in the hallway, he doesn't just place it in his pocket? Or does he have to place it in a special golden envelope with the stateroom number on it? If he happens not to recognize the guest, must he ask which cabin they are in? What if I tip him before I remove the DSC? What if I tip him after? Before and after? Each day?

With all this time managing tips, I wonder how they have time to clean the cabins! :rolleyes:

Edited by triptolemus

I'm curious how this works. Please, enlighten us. Does the steward have to investigate each room as to the status of the pax DSC? Does he go snoop around the purser's desk, or does he have a computer in his work area? Does he receive a report? During the cruise? At the end? When someone hands him $60 in the hallway, he doesn't just place it in his pocket? Or does he have to place it in a special golden envelope with the stateroom number on it? If he happens not to recognize the guest, must he ask which cabin they are in? What if I tip him before I remove the DSC? What if I tip him after? Before and after? Each day?

With all this time managing tips, I wonder how they have time to clean the cabins! :rolleyes:

They are told which cabins have removed the service charge because they have to answer for the charges being removed (after all, management has to find out why the charges were removed to make sure there weren't any unreported problems). If they can remember all of their passenger's names they can certainly remember who has given them cash.

If you see cash on a table after we finish a meal, it is additional to the DSC. We budget the DSC as part of the trip cost, not an elective charge.

Cash is for someone that goes above our expectation, or that does something that makes one of our kids or my wife really happy.

We would never consider removing the DSC.

Same for me. I leave the DSC in place and always tip extra at the specialty restaurants.

They are told which cabins have removed the service charge because they have to answer for the charges being removed (after all, management has to find out why the charges were removed to make sure there weren't any unreported problems). If they can remember all of their passenger's names they can certainly remember who has given them cash.

So... first you said the steward wouldn't have a hard time "figuring it out" -- now you're saying that the steward is told. Which is it?

It seems like you're sort of making this up as you go along, in alignment with Cruise Critic lore. You know the folks who post stuff as if they've got the NCL Operations Manual right in front of them?

What if the DSC removal has zero to do with the steward? What if I remove the DSC due to inedible food? Poor bar service? Bad weather! Who knows if I hand the steward $20, or $40, or $100?

My point is that there is nothing, other than integrity, which compels any NCL employee to turn in cash tips received -- policy or not. Don't tell me that the NCL Gratuity Police are watching all hand-to-hand transactions in the hallways... unless it's the Ops Manual!

So... first you said the steward wouldn't have a hard time "figuring it out" -- now you're saying that the steward is told. Which is it?

It seems like you're sort of making this up as you go along, in alignment with Cruise Critic lore. You know the folks who post stuff as if they've got the NCL Operations Manual right in front of them?

What if the DSC removal has zero to do with the steward? What if I remove the DSC due to inedible food? Poor bar service? Bad weather! Who knows if I hand the steward $20, or $40, or $100?

My point is that there is nothing, other than integrity, which compels any NCL employee to turn in cash tips received -- policy or not. Don't tell me that the NCL Gratuity Police are watching all hand-to-hand transactions in the hallways... unless it's the Ops Manual!

They won't have a hard time figuring out for the simple fact they are going to be told who removed the service charges :rolleyes:. Do I know any of this for 100% certainty? Heck no. But I do know that NCL is going to have a system of checks and balances in place- if the service charges were removed management is going to do their best to ascertain why (standard business practices dictate that). If there is no policy then there is no need for any employee to have the integrity to turn in any cash tips received.

Cash is king

I don't think anyone would dispute your statement that cash is king. However, that's only true if it's given. Sadly, back when traditional tipping meant giving out envelopes on the last night of a cruise, the MDRs would be half empty with far too many passengers skipping out on their tips. That is one of the main reasons why most cruise lines now impose automatic gratuities or service charges.

I don't think anyone would dispute your statement that cash is king. However, that's only true if it's given. Sadly, back when traditional tipping meant giving out envelopes on the last night of a cruise, the MDRs would be half empty with far too many passengers skipping out on their tips. That is one of the main reasons why most cruise lines now impose automatic gratuities or service charges.
I use to see this all the time. I always thought it was so cowardice, because these folks would never face the wait staff, instead they hid from them. Glad the cruise lines changed it, at least if someone doesn't want to pay, they have to face a NCL employee and tell them to delete it from their account.

No one, in any of these threads, has been able to display any sort of proof whatsoever. Whenever someone insists their way is the way someone else replies that they have seen just the opposite. One person insinuated that crew lied to me, and yet I was to believe this internet anonymous poster who offered no proof of anything either. Unless you are an NCL employee, you only have theories.

Due to a myriad of concern over how the crew that provide services for us is paid we are removing DSC on our next cruise and substituting cash, above the DSC level. I have no issue at all telling our room steward and dining room staff that we will be tipping them in cash. To do things the old fashioned, more preferred way does not mean one must walk around with a scarlet letter as some on here would like to make you feel.

No one, in any of these threads, has been able to display any sort of proof whatsoever. Whenever someone insists their way is the way someone else replies that they have seen just the opposite. One person insinuated that crew lied to me, and yet I was to believe this internet anonymous poster who offered no proof of anything either. Unless you are an NCL employee, you only have theories.

Due to a myriad of concern over how the crew that provide services for us is paid we are removing DSC on our next cruise and substituting cash, above the DSC level. I have no issue at all telling our room steward and dining room staff that we will be tipping them in cash. To do things the old fashioned, more preferred way does not mean one must walk around with a scarlet letter as some on here would like to make you feel.

It's obviously your choice, but I would just point out this:

You have identified that nobody here really knows what happens. This is true. However, you have decided that you will base a decision on your future tipping on the uncertainty caused by these conflicting opinions, whilst not giving any consideration to the one thing which we know for absolute certain.

That thing is that the staff on the NCL ships have applied for and accepted jobs, based on part of their salary being paid by the DSC. That fact in itself demonstrates that they are happy enough with the system (as much as any employee is, we would all like more of course).

So, you have decided, based on information that you acknowledge is flawed, to move away from the basis of payment that we know that the employees have accepted to one which you hope may be better for them, but that we really have no idea about.

Not criticising your decision, which I'm sure has been made for the best of reasons, but I don't really follow the logic.

dh and I tip above and beyond the dsc... every employee we meet on the cruise have always been friendly. we know for a fact that they love their jobs to sacrifice friends and family to work a cruise line and leave them 6 mo. at a time. One cd asst. asst. on our last cruise the epic just received a call that he became a FATHER for the first time so yeah they get my vote.

What I DO know, is that the majority of people leave the DSC in place, and the crew seem to stick around for repeat contracts. I'm surmising this based on CC members being a random snap-shot of cruisers, and my personal observations in regards to the proportional number who say they're removing the DSC vs. those who say they leave it in place.

They wouldn't do that if the cruiseline were keeping the money for themselves, or if the outcome was suitable for the crew.

So if people leaving the DSC in place results in a long-tenured crew who consistently seem happy in their jobs, notwithstanding the long hours and time away from home, then who am I to second-guess the system? It seems to me that it works. For that reason we always leave our DSC in place, and in fact I've prepaid my last 3, and my next 2 so that it's not even a thought, onboard.

Stephen

Edited by sjbdtz

And how about all the other folks that serve you during your cruise?

Sounds to me like just another rationalization to do what you planned to do all along. :rolleyes:

Wow. what a colossal waste of time and energy which will also burden some crewmembers with having to explain to their boss why you've pulled the DSC.

It is quite humorous that all who choose to remove the DSC, always do so under the guise and with the "claim" that they will leave above and beyond that amount in cash as their rationalization in doing so. In effect they are stiffing many of the behind the scenes people who benefit from the DSC.

If you believe than NCL requires these cash tips to be disclosed then there is absolutely no point in removing the DSC.

If you do not believe NCL has staff turn in these tips, then you are knowingly withholding income from far more employees than you are "tipping" and who are vital for you to have a pleasant cruise experience.

So in essence regardless of which scenario you believe removing the DSC either is pointless or screwing staff members.

So if you truly would like to tip above and beyond the DSC, leave it alone and tip the above and beyond amount in cash to select crew.

Edited by titangas

Wow. what a colossal waste of time and energy which will also burden some crewmembers with having to explain to their boss why you've pulled the DSC.

I will gladly tell guest services as well as crew members why - The company gives me the option to pay how I wish. I am utilizing one of the provided options. I believe in the time honored way of tipping; guest to service provider. That way I have no qualms about the company delaying payments or keeping some of it. I am not doing anything underhanded, against the rules, and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. I'm selecting a choice amongst many and doing what I believe is best. It is probably also a fact that some people never discuss this topic, remove DSC, and pay nothing at all.

Until such time as I see proof that workers get to keep ALL of the DSC I consider all conversations where people "claim" to know one way or the other to just be opinions.

And for those who wish to berate me and be negative, I ask you, on your last cruise how much extra did you leave in tips? I always find it amusing to be scolded about tipping and then finding out those doing the scolding don't tip anywhere near the level we do.

I'm sure we will look forward to seeing you go into the kitchens to tip all of the cooks and dishwashers who prepare your food and clean up after you, as well as the laundry to tip the crew who wash your sheets and towels. We'll see you stopping every maintenance person you see to tip them all individually as well, right?

I would imagine there are about 100 crew members on board that at some point have an impact on your cruise, directly. From washing your towels and sheets, cooking your food, washing your dishes, bussing your tables, keeping the buffet stocked, etc. You are essentially giving the finger to about 90 of them.

Congrats.

Edited by academytim