Document Question

Ranch Cruiser

We just received our docs- for our first cruise to Alaska. The docs state 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights. Is this normal for an Alaskan cruise. I was hoping for informal nights as well. On casual nights is a sports jacket or dress out of place for dinner?

Thanks for all the help everyone has given to us.

Denny

We don't dress very differently on a casual night v. an informal night, except DH will wear a tie and dress shirt on informal nights with a sports jacket. He very often wears a jacket on casual nights with a golf or sports shirt, in fact he does on most casual nights. Take what you were planning to wear and you will be fine. :)

If we are going to Pinnacle, DH always wears a jacket regardless of 'code for the evening'. For me, casual and Informal Night really are about the same. We don't like to be 'very casual' in the dining room. I bring clothes to wear for Formal Night and the other things are fine for Informal/Casual.

If you enjoy dressing up, then go ahead, dress up every night. Dressing down on a formal night may cause a lot of controversy; dressing up on a casual night should cause none whatsoever. As long as don't mind that the people next to you might not be as dapper as you are, dress to your heart's content.

Now, I would not advise wearing a tux or evening gown on a casual night since you will look a bit silly (no offense intended to anyone who does this!), but a sport jacket is absolutely not amiss. Throw in a tie if you like - it's your cruise.

I also might add that cruise length and itinerary play a part in what sort of clothing is worn. I just came back from a 12-day cruise in the Baltic and a good 10% of the men wore jacket and tie on casual nights, with even a couple of suits. I would not expect this in Alaska - but I could be wrong (haven't been in Alaska since 1998 which was practically a different epoch as far as cruising is concerned). I would rank a 7-day Alaska itinerary as probably the least formal of all of HAL's itineraries.

If you're seriously concerned about blending in, wear a non-dark (not dark blue, not dark grey, not black) sport jacket, no tie. My guess is that nobody will notice.

As for a dress... I'm so inept at women's fashion, I didn't even know a dress was considered a mark of formality! I mean, aren't there casual dresses too? What the heck do I know, not my field. I am eternally grateful that I need not deal with such things ;) .

Archived