Beverages and Beverage Packages FAQ

ailetoile

nHi! Have checked this board many times over the years for insights on various cruises, but just registered and this is my first post here. My last cruise on Celebrity was on the Reflection in June 2013 - it was a 10 night cruise out of Civitavecchia. Our booking included the 123Go package and husband and I opted to pay the fee to upgrade to the premium alcoholic beverage package, which at the time was $10 + 15% per day per person over the classic package that had been included. We really enjoyed the ease of not having to sign for drinks and keep receipts etc, and I loved not only having double cappuccinos in the mornings and freshly squeezed orange juice, but we did spend quite a bit of enjoyable time in the Martini Bar and the Molecular bar. We felt that the overall value of the cruise with all the inclusives was great.

Last week a friend of mine and I decided to go on an "easy" cruise for us, rather last minute - we are going on the Infinity on a 9 night Pacific Coastal, going in and out of San Francisco. We got what I think was a great rate on a CC guarantee cabin, got our cabin assignment (C3) the next day, was able to change the cabin to another C3 cabin that we wanted, and we are happy campers. Then I looked at the beverage package prices. Wow! For the premium package it is something like $76.70 per person per day plus 18% gratuity, that comes to about $90.50 per day. It is also made clear that the package must be purchased for the entire cruise, not per day or days that one might want. Also I read recently a review that the cruiser seemed to indicate that her premium alcohol beverage package did not include the freshly squeezed orange juice, and in fact, I can't find it listed in the premium package list, whether the non alcoholic or alcoholic list. The bottom line is, if we were to purchase the package, the price of it is very close to

what we are paying per person for the base rate of our cruise. Also, I like to have two or three drinks, plus water, plus cappuccino and freshly squeezed orange juice. Can't imagine that it would ever come to $90 per day. But I can see how one would want to upgrade if the classic package was already included. Haven't found any current bar prices online but will report back if of interest to anyone.

$76.70 includes the tip (despite what the website says) - it is $65+18%. You do have to prepay for the entire cruise if you want to buy in it advance.

What you can do to save money is to only purchase the package once onboard - at that point you only pay for the number of nights left in the cruise. You generally need to do this when there are at least 3 nights left, but the day may vary, so ask when you get on board.

You can also buy a cheaper package (like the soda package) then upgrade later and only pay the difference, but be careful that you are charged the right price; you really need to monitor that they only charge you the difference. The rules about upgrading are similar to the rules for buying new packages, you're charged the difference per night left in the cruise.

Freshly squeezed OJ is included as was mentioned but it is no longer freshly squeezed on the ship; if you are a big OJ stickler this was apparently a huge change a while ago. From what I can tell, the OJ they serve is "fresh pre-squeezed" (whatever that means.) This thread has more info http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2177014

Hi there, I agree the package is too expensive a la carte - and seems to getting more and more expensive rather quickly. May I ask when you took your last cruise?
Six months ago. I'm certain it won't have changed though. A glass of Fresh Orange juice cost $3. Any drink under $6 dollars would be included in the Classic Alcohol Package (cocktails up to $8 or $9). The prices included in the Premium Package will be higher of course.

Thanks for pointing that change out! I will need to update the drinks calculator as have it only included in the premium package.

Also have it listed as $5 per glass but see someone mentioned it was only $3. Can anybody Ne reconfirm this as my pricings were current from approx 6-8 mths ago. I can update that too If need be [emoji4]

Cheers!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NR5hlMjY0zh5c6WWe88iITw1taOAAO_6-TYCA2SWU4U/htmlview

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing that change out! I will need to update the drinks calculator as have it only included in the premium package.

Also have it listed as $5 per glass but see someone mentioned it was only $3. Can anybody Ne reconfirm this as my pricings were current from approx 6-8 mths ago. I can update that too If need be [emoji4]

Cheers!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NR5hlMjY0zh5c6WWe88iITw1taOAAO_6-TYCA2SWU4U/htmlview

$3? That would be a bargain!! On Royal Caribbean, it's $4.50

I called Celebrity this morning and confirmed that yes the price of the premium package is $65 per day + 18% gratuity, not $76.70 + 18% gratuity as the website presents. That does make a difference! Thanks for pointing it out! I am now on the fence about it and may wait until boarding to decide. Since we are sailing out of San Francisco (which is 25 miles from our house!) and spending a night onboard prior to sailing, it is unlikely that I would get much use out of the package the first few days - I know where I like to go to have drinks in SF and also in Monterey. But I really enjoyed the Martini Bar on the Reflection (thanks also to Hector, flair bartender extraordinaire) and some really nice sparkling wine by the glass at dinner, plus my double cappuccinos etc. Also the Celebrity agent confirmed that the fresh (whatever that means) oj is included in the premium package. I know that my traveling partner girlfriend will not go for the package but it is also nice to know that I can purchase it for myself if I want to. Thanks all.

QE2_Fan, I am getting ready to post another updated PDF in the next few days here. Do you mind if I include a link to your drink calculator in that PDF? Figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also, to those who have been posting recently: I appreciate that the beverage packages are HUGELY expensive and potentially not worth it if you are buying them out of pocket. I truly do. I even agree with you.

With that being said, this thread is about trying to collect questions and information about beverages and beverages packages and to try to keep that information up to date within the last page or two of recent posts so that people don't have to click through dozens of pages of replies to find what they're looking for. The problem with many previous threads about beverage packages is that they started off informative and then devolved into either complaining or extraneous conversation, which made the information they contained hard to find. I'm trying to avoid that here, so I would like to ask kindly that you please start a new thread if you wish to comment on the price of the packages. Thank you :o

Edited by ailetoile

QE2_Fan, I am getting ready to post another updated PDF in the next few days here. Do you mind if I include a link to your drink calculator in that PDF? Figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

thanks did asking! Feel fee to include as it can help many, even with latest pricing to determine if there is value or not for them in a package.

There is a feedback link on the calculator now so that people can let me know of any changes or just general feedback which can help to improve the calculator ongoing for everyone!

Cheers (and great job with the FAQ overall 😄).

I have the premium package which I paid the upgrade, I am a bit confused and maybe someone can help me. I went from Aqua Class to Sky Suite recently and did this change my drink package at all? Did I pay for something that now I would get free changing to the Sky Suite. While I love Celebrity, sometimes when you call they are not correct. I changed last week and was told that I was able to go into Michael's Club only to find out on CC they were wrong. I just am curious about if I get something free that I am paying for.

Thank you and this is a great resource thread.

Dorene

I have the premium package which I paid the upgrade, I am a bit confused and maybe someone can help me. I went from Aqua Class to Sky Suite recently and did this change my drink package at all? Did I pay for something that now I would get free changing to the Sky Suite. While I love Celebrity, sometimes when you call they are not correct. I changed last week and was told that I was able to go into Michael's Club only to find out on CC they were wrong. I just am curious about if I get something free that I am paying for.

Thank you and this is a great resource thread.

Dorene

I think only the Royal Suites and Penthouse Suites get a free Ultimate beverage package included. In a Sky Suite you will enjoy the new Luminae all suite restaurant, but you would still be up for a drink package so you should be all set!

My TA tells me passengers in the state room cannot have different beverage packages. I am wondering if that is accurate? I would be grateful for views. I will be looking to purchase these packages (they are not part of perks)

My TA tells me passengers in the state room cannot have different beverage packages. I am wondering if that is accurate? I would be grateful for views. I will be looking to purchase these packages (they are not part of perks)

I see some of these have been answered and some have not but I'm going to acknowledge them all with the best answers I can give (mostly) anyway :)

Pat, as others have chimed in you will be charged for the number of NIGHTS remaining in the cruise. The cutoff is determined by staff on the ship, so as others have said please make sure that you are aware of what that date is as you near the end of your cruise. And have a lovely time!

===

Well, first congratulations :D

Just so you're aware, you may have a rough time downgrading from the Classic Package, and even if you do manage to downgrade you will likely only receive the Classic Non-Alcoholic package. This whole mess seems to be entirely at the discretion of whoever you speak with on the phone before your cruise, or whoever you speak with at Guest Services after your cruise.

On to your question: I believe most mocktails are included in the Classic Non-Alcoholic package. The only real benefit that upgrading seems to get you is specialty canned beverages like Red Bull and sparkling bottled water (as opposed to still).

===

I don't know this off-hand but it appears that your question was already answered by one of the awesome people that are still watching this thread.

===

Yep, you can use any beverage package in the specialty restaurants.

Just keep in mind that there have been some reports on some ships that some of the specialty restaurants have "forgotten" to include a red and/or white wine in the stated range of the Classic Package. If this happens, you will have to pay the full cost of the wine because it has gone over the Classic Package limit. You might be able to speak with the head sommelier if this happens to you and possibly have that cost reimbursed since as of the last I've heard ALL restaurants, including specialty restaurants, must offer something within the limits of both the Classic and Premium Packages.

===

Bottled water is available at all of the bars and restaurants. This includes Cafe Al Bacio. In other words, it's very easy to find and grab throughout the ship :)

===

You can each have the package (or none) that suits your taste if you are buying them out of your own pocket. You can have a package, and he can go a la carte. Other cruise lines have rules about this, but Celebrity does not.

If you are receiving the package as a perk, then you must both pick the package since you must both receive the same perk. I believe that is where the confusion may be coming from.

===

You should be able to order specialty coffees from the buffet, the MDR, and specialty restaurants. Keep in mind that they may have to run to Cafe Al Bacio to fulfill your order if they do not have the equipment to make what you've ordered. Also please keep in mind that they may tell you "no" if you've ordered something too complicated.

Please keep in mind that this answer is based on my experiences on S-class ships. I'm not sure how it works on Connie since I haven't sailed on her.

Your TA is wrong.

Post #289 from THIS thread.

If you are receiving the package as a free perk then both occupants of the cabin have to choose the same FREE perk.

If you are purchasing the drink package then only one person may do that.

Edited by chamima

Your TA is wrong.

Post #289 from THIS thread.

If you are receiving the package as a free perk then both occupants of the cabin have to choose the same FREE perk.

If you are purchasing the drink package then only one person may do that.

Many thanks for the info :)

From what I have been told, if it is done before the sail date of the cruise - then everyone in the cabin has to have the same package. If done at a bar onboard - just one person in a cabin can do it no problem. And there is no price difference on drink packages beforehand or on-board.

From what I have been told, if it is done before the sail date of the cruise - then everyone in the cabin has to have the same package. If done at a bar onboard - just one person in a cabin can do it no problem. And there is no price difference on drink packages beforehand or on-board.

The Celebrity rep I spoke to said the 2nd person needn't have the same package , in fact, needn't have any pkg if that's what (s)he wanted. And that that policy applied to online purchase pre sailing and to on board purchase.

Doesn't matter when it's done. The same rules apply. If a drink pkg came as the result of the old Go 1,2 3! or the new Go Big, Better, Best, then both people in the stateroom must have the same perk, be it Classic Drink pkg, or OBC, or what ever.

However, if no perk is involved, either before or after final payment, then either or both of the cabin mates may purchase or not purchase what ever drink package they want.

Another example is my case. My wife and I are getting the Classic pkg via the 123 Go promo. I can now, should I desire, upgrade to the Premium pkg and my wife can stand pat with her Classic.

I have the premium package which I paid the upgrade, I am a bit confused and maybe someone can help me. I went from Aqua Class to Sky Suite recently and did this change my drink package at all? Did I pay for something that now I would get free changing to the Sky Suite.

You did not pay for anything that you would now get for free :) Only Celebrity suites and higher, I believe, get the free beverage package.

Your TA is informing you incorrectly or incompletely. The only situation under which you must have the same beverage package as another passenger in your cabin is if you are selecting the package as a perk for a deal such as Go Big.

This is also the case for upgrading: One of you can upgrade and the other can choose not to regardless of how the beverage packages were acquired unless you acquired them as part of a deal that explicitly stated otherwise in its terms and conditions. You do not have to wait until you are on board to upgrade just a single person.

You did not pay for anything that you would now get for free :) Only Celebrity suites and higher, I believe, get the free beverage package.

ROYAL suites and up get premium beverages.

Your TA is informing you incorrectly or incompletely. The only situation under which you must have the same beverage package as another passenger in your cabin is if you are selecting the package as a perk for a deal such as Go Big.

I think there may have been a rule back in 2012/2013 about all having same package, but that was pre 123. I swear I read this when I booked first cruise, but later it wasn't there. Other cruise lines have the policy though. But in any case, on X, it's not a rule at all at this time.

ROYAL suites and up get premium beverages.

I think there may have been a rule back in 2012/2013 about all having same package, but that was pre 123. I swear I read this when I booked first cruise, but later it wasn't there. Other cruise lines have the policy though. But in any case, on X, it's not a rule at all at this time.

Thanks for the clarification, Cle-guy. I've never been fortunate enough to travel in a suite of any flavor so to me it's all basically hearsay. :o

My alcoholic drinks would be pay as I go. How do i get an idea about the px of the cocktail I order ? Wouldn't that depend on the liquor used? For ex if I order a vodka based drink shd I expect to be served absolut or grey goose? Do i specify each time? I'm pretty sure I don't know my booze that well. Grateful for views on how this would work in practice.