Guernsey Island excursions

swedish girl

Have you looked at the "ports" section of CC? Go to Europe and then you will find a lot of info. As for what we did, I had read "The Potato Peel Society " book about the occupation during WWII, so we found a wonderful museum privately owned that was started by a man at the end of the occupation. There are also several other places to view. We got there via a bus that went around the entire island, but if we go back, we will take a taxi since we ran out of time. Check the cruise lines excursions. Princess had one to the museum, but doing on our own saved money.

We also didn't do an excursion, but loved the town. The harbor is just gorgeous. We wandered the town, found a cute little air market, a couple of fun shops (jewelry, a great chocolatier, etc), and wandered back to the ship early. Like the previous poster said, there's not a lot to see or do (again at least on your own - maybe with an excursion), but I was very glad we at least wandered the town!!

We took the ship's excursion ( in one of our quests to go away from the port area ) that included tea and look at Guernsey cows The tea place was awesome It was like visiting someone's secret garden We also saw some remnants of WW 2 The weather was wonderful that day

We were there last August on the Ruby. It was short stop and we didn't have a full day there. We walked to the German Underground Museum (really a neat place to see) and then checked out the Fort on our way back. We walked passed Victor Hugo's house but were too late to get a tour. You can do a lot on your own within walking distance of the pier. It is a nice port, but time was limited

• 4 weeks later...
Any suggestions for excursions you've enjoyed when stopping in Guernsey?

I strongly urge you to read

THE BOOK OF EBENEZER LEPAGE during your trip. It will give you great ideas of what to visit on GUERNSEY!

You can read a review her eyes:

http://www.nybooks.com/books/imprints/classics/the-book-of-ebenezer-le-page/

Edited by MaisonRose
New information

The local bus service is excellent and cheap. The local tourist office can provide you with details, maps and a time table or you can research them easily on-line.

There are two bus routes that go round the perimeter of the Island (one clockwise, the other anticlockwise) so you can get an island tour for about £2. Also for a few pounds you can buy a one day ticket which enable you to hop on and off the local buses when and wherever you wish. We used this ticket (purchase on board the bus) to visit the Underground Hospital then to get to the Little Chapel and also the Occupation Museum.

The local bus service is excellent and cheap. The local tourist office can provide you with details, maps and a time table or you can research them easily on-line.

There are two bus routes that go round the perimeter of the Island (one clockwise, the other anticlockwise) so you can get an island tour for about £2. Also for a few pounds you can buy a one day ticket which enable you to hop on and off the local buses when and wherever you wish. We used this ticket (purchase on board the bus) to visit the Underground Hospital then to get to the Little Chapel and also the Occupation Museum.

Good advice, but just remember one thing when trying to take the local bus back to St Peter Port.

Local buses going to St Peter Port show the final destination as 'Town', never 'St Peter Port'.

Also Creasey's Department store on the frontage of Victoria Marina, have the Marks & Spencer franchise for the island, so it is M&S in all but name, while those of you into craft beer could try a pint of 'Wonky Donkey'.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

We did the Sark island bicycle tour with Princess. I usually go on my own or on a private tour, but because the boat ride to Sark is about a hour long, then you need a ticket to take you up a hill, I found it easier to just use Princess. We had a bicycle waiting for our use and rode all over the island. Most of the island is fairly flat. On the island they have gift shops, art galleries, and places to eat. I kept seeing a bar sign but could not for the life of me find any such bar. Probably best that I didn't.:p. Anyways very glad we did that tour.

Another vote for the bicycle tour on Stark. The advantage of the Princess tour is the boat they use gets to the island about an hour before the scheduled ferry. Stark is a popular tourist destination and once that ferry shows up the island is noticeably more crowded.

Even though there was a light rain the day we were there, it just may have been my favorite day of a wonderful trip.