Fira/Akrotiri or Fira/Oia on Santorini

fcleiser3

I am thinking about doing the same (renting a small car and going both places). However, if I go to Akrotiri, it would not be to the ruins, but to a lighthouse not too terribly far from there.

We were on Santorini in 2006 and I loved Oia, although of course it is pretty crowded with tourists when ships are in. If this is your first trip, I'd recommend Oia, especially if you're into beauty and photography and less into history and ruins. I've not been to Akrotiri, but my cruise stops in Athens and Kusadasi, so I'll see plenty of ruins there - although of course some people may say they're different ruins!

There's a similar thread about this same subject elsewhere on here. I think most people would suggest Oia, and if that's all you do you could easily do that on a quad ATV bike (did that before - easy, but get one that's more than 100 cc or it may be kind of slow going uphill). You could also walk down to the bus stop in Fira and take a bus to Oia, or take cabs. Cabs aren't exactly cheap, though, so if we don't rent a car or ATV we'll probably take the bus.

Another place that's kind of similar to Oia is Pyrgos, which is a little closer to Oia, just not on the water. I've seen some gorgeous photos from there. The only thing is that with a rental car or ATV, it looks like there's a good deal of walking uphill to get to the prettiest places (2 churches, maze like alleys with homes, etc.) Then again, once you get to Oia you basically have to walk also, so there's not all that much difference, I suppose.

Oia would have more lunch and shopping than Pyrgos or the southern part of the island (Akrotiri).

If it's accurate (and usually it is, according to past experience) to go up to Oia and then down to Akrotiri and back to Fira takes an hour and a half (driving) according to ViaMichelin mapping. SO - while you obviously have to allow plenty of time for tendering, picking up the rental car, and getting back, a whole day on Santorini could possibly allow you to visit both Oia for a couple hours and Akrotiri for a couple hours. If not, I'd go for Oia, and possibly Pyrgos, and a little bit of time in Fira.

Well our first time there we did Oia. Taxi from Fira and back. Scenic with shopping and it was nice.

Second trip we did Akrotiri. Taxi to ruins and back. Also scenic and nice. But with ruins.

It really depends on what YOU are looking for.

We are headed back in late April and not sure what we are doing yet. Will have our son and DIL with us and they havent been.

• 2 weeks later...
Well our first time there we did Oia. Taxi from Fira and back. Scenic with shopping and it was nice.

Second trip we did Akrotiri. Taxi to ruins and back. Also scenic and nice. But with ruins.

It really depends on what YOU are looking for.

We are headed back in late April and not sure what we are doing yet. Will have our son and DIL with us and they havent been.

Do you remember the approx. taxi fare from pier to Oia?

First you must take the cable car or donkeys up the cliff face…..walk out to the street and hail a taxi. There is no real "pier" but rather a dock. This is a tender port.

We paid 50 euros - taxi ride there (nice Mercedes) - free time to shop etc. and taxi ride back. He was right where he said he would be at the designated time.

We did not pay him a penny until we were back in Fira.

This was the most hassle free way for us and worth every penny. I had read posts of the bus stop being a zoo with pushing and shoving and then not enough room for everyone so some got left for next bus and then the same scene repeated again. This was NOT the way I wanted to spend my day on Santorini!

We did the same thing going to Akrotiri on our last trip there. Only he sat and waited for us in the parking lot.

Depends on how "into it" you get :D

My husband loves ruins more than I do (altho I enjoy them) but I found myself finding little things he didn't even see at first which doesn't happen very often.

I think we were there maybe an hour and a half from start to finish. It is all under a large structure but is bigger than you first think. It is very rustic but considering it is so very very old - its pretty awesome.

We left the ruins and had our taxi driver drop us on the main street right at the Archeological museum which is where many of the items they found at the ruins are kept. It really made the ruins come alive for me. Small but lots of good stuff :D

We then headed to a great view restaurant nearby and had a yummo lunch. Then some shopping (mostly looking but a bit of buying) before heading back to the ship.

A perfect day on Santorini !

Is there a lot of difference between Oia and Fira? As we're there just one day I don't want to spend the whole day traveling, but soaking up the atmosphere. Just starting to do research. Is Oia more picturesque?

Yes. It is smaller. Almost totally pedestrian. Yes, it is more scenic, IMHO.

Is there a lot of difference between Oia and Fira? As we're there just one day I don't want to spend the whole day traveling, but soaking up the atmosphere. Just starting to do research. Is Oia more picturesque?

Oia is only about a 15-20 minute drive from Fira.

They are both villages at the top of the caldera but Fira seems more crowded and crunched up. Oia seems more open and maybe a bit smaller altho I don't know that for sure…..just feels like it. Oia is more picturesque in many places. But Fira has some stunning views too.

I would google images for both - and see for yourself….

i am greek ive been to santorini a lot of times i know perfectly the whole island

fira and oia for one day!!forget akrotiri..go to oia and fira watch the sunset drink santo wine and just have fun with the locals.most greeks are very friendly and speak good english..dont worry enjoy..we are really happy that you chose to visit our country..welcome