Splendor not so splendid

slickrick64

Just returned from Feb 8 western Caribbean and very disappointed. First of all I have been a CCL defender but it is getting harder to defend. First the good parts the shows were great , cabin steward was great and FTTF worked great.

Now for the bad,what has happened to the food? The buffet was very limited and you had to inspect your plates and utensils they were often dirty. I saw several people pick up food and sniff it and put it back.

When we got to Roatan they were slow opening gangway and it was a mob scene.

We only went to MDR twice the menu is the same since we started cruising in 2010 and is getting boring

I have been big CCL defender but it is getting hard .

Just returned from Feb 8 western Caribbean and very disappointed. First of all I have been a CCL defender but it is getting harder to defend. First the good parts the shows were great , cabin steward was great and FTTF worked great.

Now for the bad,what has happened to the food? The buffet was very limited and you had to inspect your plates and utensils they were often dirty. I saw several people pick up food and sniff it and put it back.

We only went to MDR twice the menu is the same since we started cruising in 2010 and is getting boring

Try the same menus since 2004! Supposedly the new menus will be on all ships within 6 months. Hang in there.

How were the ports? :)

I've been encountering dirty plates and cups for years. I'm amazed by the large numbers of people who just don't care and pick up my discards. :) I tell people to pass by me, as I inspect every piece. Same with the glasses and silverware. I run the drink dispensers at least 5 seconds, again to dirty looks, to minimize the prior contamination by the multiple people who refill their dirty beverage containers. (they are NEVER clean, no matter what they say, in my opinion)

We just got off with you.

when asking about the buffet are you asking about dinner?

We are platinum of carnival and we do the dining room every night. The menu is the same but we always find something we like.

On other sailing thought-- the buffet at the midship always had different food then what was presented at the aft buffet. I was super surprised that every buffet was serving the same food. (except the mongolian station)

But breakfast== they served "real" sausage only one day- the rest of the week was different and the lines for both of the omelet stations was terrible. (why not open another by the aft pool?)

Another thing I noticed-- that although the menu is fleetwide the way its prepared could be different.

We sailed the Victory 2 weeks ago and at lunch one day they had this Choc Orange cake-- it was soo good. Choc cake with orange marmalade between the layers with a cream cheese icing.

on the Splendor they had a Choc Orange cake but used an orange icing instead.

Hi Rick

Sorry to hear that you are feeling the luster is starting to fade. When you start cruising everything seems fun and new but it can get old quickly.

As Frank said things really haven't changed much ( certainly as far as food ) for many more than just 4 yrs. What you will likely find if you continue to cruise is that when things do change they are usually are for the worse. That's why people are continually on this site complaining. The company wants to make more money so they find ways to make cutbacks here and there.

That's why as customers we have to make decisions on the value we are getting and determining what kind of a vacation we like. You can always try mixing it up a bit with an all-inclusive or maybe a different cruise line. That way you get a fresh perspective of the product you are receiving compared to your other choices. Also, if you can clearly see that Carnival delivers an inferior product for the money you shouldn't give them any more of their money.

After a while I start thinking that these islands all start looking the same...they are all beautiful. The sand on the beach today looks just like the sand on the beach I was on yesterday and it feels just as good between my toes. If you want something different and exciting every day you have to do something different every day. If you are OK with the same old, same old, as I am, Carnival can deliver it to you for a fair price.

Whatever you decide enjoy your vacation

^ one of the reasons to take other cruise lines

we do Princess as our second choice and Royal if Princess doesnt have what we are looking for,. jsut for stirring the pot some.

then we mix it in with All Inclusives

Oh, I hate to hear this. We are going on the Splendor next year. I haven't been on a Carnival cruise before and to be honest, I had reservations booking due to horror stories. I hope things shape up for the Splendor.

Oh, I hate to hear this. We are going on the Splendor next year. I haven't been on a Carnival cruise before and to be honest, I had reservations booking due to horror stories. I hope things shape up for the Splendor.

There are plenty of positive reviews for this ship. I do not however doubt that slickrick had a disappointing cruise as he describes. Sometimes things can be off on a certain week or two, for reasons that I dont know, but that seems to be the case some times. You can only know if you like a cruiseline or ship, if you go at least once and form your own opinion. I too am booked on the Splendor for later this year, but I dont get too worried when I read a review from someone dissatisfied. I will go and form my own opinion.

OP, sorry that you encountered those issues, and hope that your next cruise or vacation is much better. I do agree about the MDR menu. Even for me who only cruises every three or four years, that menu is getting old. I look forward to when the new menu is fleetwide. Thanks for posting your review.

Edited by SMSACE6

You'll have a great time. We did our 3rd cruise on her a few months back and liked it even better than the first 2. We like the MDR food (and also chefs table, steakhouse and Dr. Seuss), and never had an issue with dirty dishes or disgusting passengers.

I've been encountering dirty plates and cups for years. I'm amazed by the large numbers of people who just don't care and pick up my discards. I tell people to pass by me, as I inspect every piece. Same with the glasses and silverware. I run the drink dispensers at least 5 seconds, again to dirty looks, to minimize the prior contamination by the multiple people who refill their dirty beverage containers. (they are NEVER clean, no matter what they say, in my opinion)

I think I must be missing something. If someone uses a "dirty" cup (i.e., it's been used before) with a soda fountain, how is the soda fountain getting contaminated, unless the person is pressing the "mouth" part of the cup against the nozzle?

Also, aren't you worried that your five seconds of letting the soda run will fill up or overflow that drip reservoir at the bottom of the fountain, which is not usually connected to a drain? Perhaps the soda dispensers on the cruise ships are different from the ones you see on land... I'm totally open to the fact that I'm completely missing the point here! :)

Edited by almendrada

I was not trying to discourage anyone just giving honest opinion . I was so looking forward to this cruise and my expectations were left short. Before this cruise I was and most likely still CCL fan. Other than food situation loved the ship. Just wish they would leave other food options open for dinner.

The menus have varied little over years.

Although the presentation and the recipe seems to vary through time.

But the thing is that many, if not most, of us go to restaurants on land that have had the same menu for many years.

Actually, that is often why we go back...because we like something on the menu.

I was on the Splendor 2 weeks before the OP's cruise. I thought the Splendor was a great ship with excellent service, great ports, great food, great entertainmen, and a super clean ship.

I thought the buffet food was just fine with many salads, pasta, entrees, vegetables, breads, cheeses, deli meats and carving station and plenty of desserts. I thought it was plenty and a good variety. Besides the buffet, on Lido there is the Mongolin Wok, Tandoor Indian food, burgers and hot dogs etc. at the grill, deli, rotisserie, and pizza. How much more of a selection could someone possibly want? I did enjoy the food.:cool:

You'll have a great time. We did our 3rd cruise on her a few months back and liked it even better than the first 2. We like the MDR food (and also chefs table, steakhouse and Dr. Seuss), and never had an issue with dirty dishes or disgusting passengers.

I know it's what I make of it, and frankly I can have fun in a tin can (redheads are like that), so I know it will be a great vacation. It's just disappointing to hear bad things after you've spent a pretty penny. Plus, I'm a bit of a germaphobe being a nurse. I'm the one with Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer in my bag at all times. :p I'm sure my DH will make sure I've got a few drinks on board to quell my issues! I'm really looking forward to seeing this ship with all the talk of her.

Well lets face it guys we cruise Carnival for the same reason we shop at Target. We get some of the trills without the horrendous bills. It's a give and take.

If had to fly United all the time I would doing a lot less traveling if at all. The cattle car airlines and the sardine can cruise liners enable us to enjoy things we might not otherwise be able to.

Personally I'm offended by the amount of food that I see wasted on these cruises. They would be doing us all a favor if they limited it a bit. I think that maybe they ought to swipe your card for one plate full and your done. Maybe that would help them control cost so they could offer a higher grade of food. Don't let the give and take ruin your special get away time.

For me anyway the real joy of the cruise is not the food ... it's the get away time whether by yourself or with a friend or significant other.

That's how I deal with it any.

Chow for now

JT:o

Edited by jtwanabe

We don't mind that the menu in the MDR is that same as it has always been. We have our favorites, and many of these foods we only eat while we are on a cruise. I don't mind that I might have eaten the same thing on my cruise last year. At home we repeat the same foods more than once a year!! I just enjoy having someone cook for me and serve me dinner.

I think I must be missing something. If someone uses a "dirty" cup (i.e., it's been used before) with a soda fountain, how is the soda fountain getting contaminated, unless the person is pressing the "mouth" part of the cup against the nozzle?

Also, aren't you worried that your five seconds of letting the soda run will fill up or overflow that drip reservoir at the bottom of the fountain, which is not usually connected to a drain? Perhaps the soda dispensers on the cruise ships are different from the ones you see on land... I'm totally open to the fact that I'm completely missing the point here! :)

You don't get it. Personal cups have had your mouth on it. Some people touch the spigots with their cups, bottles are especially a problem as people insert the bottle right into the spigot. NOBODY can sanitize on the ship, simple "rinsing" isn't enough. dried fluids from your mouth/bottle/cup coat the spigots or can splash back on to spigots. Next use, the contaminate can drop into the next cup. This is simple food service infection control. Plenty of information online.

Biggest problem is people just don't know transmission routes, totally oblivious.

Another spit swapper- those "sampling" people. yep- eating with your hands in the buffet lines. I saw this EVERY meal. Put food on your plate- oops- a little delay, oh, I'll just take a bite- yum. lick my fingers, OH that looks good, same hand on the serving spoon for another scoop, on down the line. Next person, has hand on that same serving spoon- transfer spit. Keep going- use ketchup, salt, pick up, eat food with your bare hands- you're "close" friends now with all the spit swappers before you.

That hand sanitizer you used at the "beginning" of the line is long useless.

Sorry for the rant. But, I eat nothing with my hands, AFTER I get my food, I wash my hands, I visually inspect everything and take my time doing so. Feel free to ignore me. No way to eliminate, but I'll be doing what I can to reduce my exposure.

Edited by Budget Queen