Splendor not so splendid

slickrick64

You don't get it. Personal cups have had your mouth on it. Some people touch the spigots with their cups, bottles are especially a problem as people insert the bottle right into the spigot. NOBODY can sanitize on the ship, simple "rinsing" isn't enough. dried fluids from your mouth/bottle/cup coat the spigots or can splash back on to spigots. Next use, the contaminate can drop into the next cup. This is simple food service infection control. Plenty of information online.

Biggest problem is people just don't know transmission routes, totally oblivious.

Another spit swapper- those "sampling" people. yep- eating with your hands in the buffet lines. I saw this EVERY meal. Put food on your plate- oops- a little delay, oh, I'll just take a bite- yum. lick my fingers, OH that looks good, same hand on the serving spoon for another scoop, on down the line. Next person, has hand on that same serving spoon- transfer spit. Keep going- use ketchup, salt, pick up, eat food with your bare hands- you're "close" friends now with all the spit swappers before you.

That hand sanitizer you used at the "beginning" of the line is long useless.

Sorry for the rant. But, I eat nothing with my hands, AFTER I get my food, I wash my hands, I visually inspect everything and take my time doing so. Feel free to ignore me. No way to eliminate, but I'll be doing what I can to reduce my exposure.

They nicely asked and said they may not get it...I am with you..maybe not as good as you but people are not careful..and i prefer dining room because of it..always remember wondering why my pediatric nurse let the water run and run when she got her drink..always remember her..the old days..uniform and white seamed nylons and nurse hat..LOL 55 here..the sweetest penicillin shot cheerer upper possible... after I grew up I understood and it does bug me..how people are not careful and washing hands before it all gets cold..I use the wipes after dishing up but not as good..

Edited by sjn911

I was on the Splendor 2 weeks before the OP's cruise. I thought the Splendor was a great ship with excellent service, great ports, great food, great entertainmen, and a super clean ship.

I thought the buffet food was just fine with many salads, pasta, entrees, vegetables, breads, cheeses, deli meats and carving station and plenty of desserts. I thought it was plenty and a good variety. Besides the buffet, on Lido there is the Mongolin Wok, Tandoor Indian food, burgers and hot dogs etc. at the grill, deli, rotisserie, and pizza. How much more of a selection could someone possibly want? I did enjoy the food.:cool:

Good to know..I like the Tandoor type of food and do not think that is on many carnival ships??..and it is true there can be a bad food cruise..just using up stuff..etc..happened to me once on Spirit.

I am a firm believer in hand washing and other common sense behavior when it comes to cleanliness, but I have to say this; We can also sterilize ourselves to death! Literally! Does anyone ever wonder why so many people go to hospital for minor/routine procedures and end up with major infectious illnesses?

Well lets face it guys we cruise Carnival for the same reason we shop at Target. We get some of the trills without the horrendous bills. It's a give and take.

If had to fly United all the time I would doing a lot less traveling if at all. The cattle car airlines and the sardine can cruise liners enable us to enjoy things we might not otherwise be able to.

Personally I'm offended by the amount of food that I see wasted on these cruises. They would be doing us all a favor if they limited it a bit. I think that maybe they ought to swipe your card for one plate full and your done. Maybe that would help them control cost so they could offer a higher grade of food. Don't let the give and take ruin your special get away time.

For me anyway the real joy of the cruise is not the food ... it's the get away time whether by yourself or with a friend or significant other.

That's how I deal with it any.

Chow for now

JT:o

LOL:o..the truth..well said..Sarah

How is it the cruise ship's fault if some passengers are just pigs and insist on ignoring Do Not xxx signs or refuse to sanitize their hands at the door?

Absolutely isn't. :) It's your fellow passenger's "fault". People seem to think the rules don't pertain to them, and they are some kind of "exception".

You don't get it. Personal cups have had your mouth on it. Some people touch the spigots with their cups, bottles are especially a problem as people insert the bottle right into the spigot. NOBODY can sanitize on the ship, simple "rinsing" isn't enough. dried fluids from your mouth/bottle/cup coat the spigots or can splash back on to spigots. Next use, the contaminate can drop into the next cup. This is simple food service infection control. Plenty of information online.

Biggest problem is people just don't know transmission routes, totally oblivious.

Another spit swapper- those "sampling" people. yep- eating with your hands in the buffet lines. I saw this EVERY meal. Put food on your plate- oops- a little delay, oh, I'll just take a bite- yum. lick my fingers, OH that looks good, same hand on the serving spoon for another scoop, on down the line. Next person, has hand on that same serving spoon- transfer spit. Keep going- use ketchup, salt, pick up, eat food with your bare hands- you're "close" friends now with all the spit swappers before you.

That hand sanitizer you used at the "beginning" of the line is long useless.

Sorry for the rant. But, I eat nothing with my hands, AFTER I get my food, I wash my hands, I visually inspect everything and take my time doing so. Feel free to ignore me. No way to eliminate, but I'll be doing what I can to reduce my exposure.

Thanks for your answer. :)

What gross me out is that some passengers would use the bathroom and skip washing their hands or simply rinse under the tap without using hand soap. See this happen on every cruise.

You can't assume that they aren't sanitizing...I religiously AVOID public sinks, but carry hand sanitizer. I get nasty looks all the time - but as someone who got foot and mouth disease from a public sink, what people don't realize is they are horrid breeding grounds for disease. I'll take my own germs and sanitizer every day over those moist public sinks.

The beaches in Cozumel and Roatan were overrun by seaweed. Loved the ruins on Costa Maya and ate lunch at Tropicante. The Jumbalaya was amazing. Went to Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman and snorkeled for first time.

So you realize that seaweed is the natural state and usually gets washed into shore by a storm or high winds on previous days? Not all civilizations sterilize everything the way we are use to in the states! they prefer the natural state of things.

Pat

I am a firm believer in hand washing and other common sense behavior when it comes to cleanliness, but I have to say this; We can also sterilize ourselves to death! Literally! Does anyone ever wonder why so many people go to hospital for minor/routine procedures and end up with major infectious illnesses?

You are right on, we now have bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics because we are literally sterilizing ourselves to death! A strong immune system can fight most germs it comes into contact with but when we sterilize everything we touch, take antibiotics like candy, we are actually weakening our immune system.

Pat

How is it the cruise ship's fault if some passengers are just pigs and insist on ignoring Do Not xxx signs or refuse to sanitize their hands at the door?

Not the cruise lines fault, but common to any buffet eating situation. It is good it was posted because most people don't think about it.

You can't assume that they aren't sanitizing...I religiously AVOID public sinks, but carry hand sanitizer. I get nasty looks all the time - but as someone who got foot and mouth disease from a public sink, what people don't realize is they are horrid breeding grounds for disease. I'll take my own germs and sanitizer every day over those moist public sinks.

You know exactly where you picked up "foot and mouth"? This need further clairfication? Was this not in the US? A whole different story with contaminated water sources. (which isn't the case usually, where most people travel) This disease's usual transmission is the oral route, person to person route so not sure how hand washing comes in from a public sink.

Just returned from Feb 8 western Caribbean and very disappointed. First of all I have been a CCL defender but it is getting harder to defend. First the good parts the shows were great , cabin steward was great and FTTF worked great.

Now for the bad,what has happened to the food? The buffet was very limited and you had to inspect your plates and utensils they were often dirty. I saw several people pick up food and sniff it and put it back.

When we got to Roatan they were slow opening gangway and it was a mob scene.

We only went to MDR twice the menu is the same since we started cruising in 2010 and is getting boring

I have been big CCL defender but it is getting hard .

I was on the Splendor in October, great ship, great people and the food is always good, great food no, crappy food no, it is always easy to find something in the MDR to eat, 48 Carnival cruises and the food is still fine, I guess I'm not that hard to please, like some. I'm a great cook in my own right and have eaten in many of the top rated places in the world, so I do know fine food, Carnivals food is alright in my book.

You know exactly where you picked up "foot and mouth"? This need further clairfication? Was this not in the US? A whole different story with contaminated water sources. (which isn't the case usually, where most people travel) This disease's usual transmission is the oral route, person to person route so not sure how hand washing comes in from a public sink.

I also do not use public bathroom soap but use hand sanitizer instead. I rinse my hands to get "whatever" off and then use hand sanitizer. Look at me cross-eyed all you want. I am allergic to aloe vera and many commercial soaps contain aloe. Unless I can see a complete list of ingredients I use my own. I've seen my mother's bad reaction to aloe and my daughter reacted to it as a toddler. I have had my own reactions and don't care to go there again or to make my allergy worse. No thanks! Also, a little politeness when questioning someone's statement would go a long way towards promoting civility here on Cruise Critic and in the world.

Edited by oceanmom62

Well lets face it guys we cruise Carnival for the same reason we shop at Target. We get some of the trills without the horrendous bills. It's a give and take.

If had to fly United all the time I would doing a lot less traveling if at all. The cattle car airlines and the sardine can cruise liners enable us to enjoy things we might not otherwise be able to.

Personally I'm offended by the amount of food that I see wasted on these cruises. They would be doing us all a favor if they limited it a bit. I think that maybe they ought to swipe your card for one plate full and your done. Maybe that would help them control cost so they could offer a higher grade of food. Don't let the give and take ruin your special get away time.

For me anyway the real joy of the cruise is not the food ... it's the get away time whether by yourself or with a friend or significant other.

That's how I deal with it any.

Chow for now

JT:o

See now I wouldn't like the swipe card....not because I overeat, but because my first time up is taking small samples of what looks good to me and some of that does get wasted if I don't like it. The second time up is getting more of what I found I liked.

We were having a conversation-- while people watching at the buffet and I wondered out loud why people would take so much food at one time

and my 9 year old grand daughter says-- so they dont have to stand in the long line again.

boy she could be right

On the Splendor last January I ate at the Mongolian Wok and in the MDR only. The buffet is gross. Never ever liked it. My family though disagrees with me.

Next time I'm on CCL will be on the Vista TA. They have replaced Tandoori with Seafood Shack and will serve real lunch in MDR during seadays. Love love MDR lunch.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Edited by pamrose228

Hand sanitizer can only kill germs but NOT virus. Tap water and hand soap cannot kill virus either. But they can flush them away.

was on the same cruise...8 to 15 of feb. There was 1400 Chinese peoples on the ship that week...Most of them would not leave the Spendido lido. I think it was a convention about sales...so that why they were having those meeting all the times in the Spendido or other place.

I was dissapointed about the food at the buffet but dinning room (Pearl) was good. Not many choices at all at the buffet. Taste was blend. Lack in service in general everywhere. except for room service. Noticed in the main dinning room as well. Saw lot of people in swimsuit and barefoot at the buffet and nobody would tell them that this was i innapropriate. Also i seen people touch the food with there hand...not very appetizing.

. First for me... you could find a long chair on sea day everywhere at anytime. The weather was good, a bit chily but nice when sun was there...got a nice sunbath on the 2 days at sea...the majority of the Chinese were in the interior. Therefore, lots of room outside to get a nice sunbath. Ship is well maintained. Shows was great. Port of call was ok.... Did not like the disembarkation a Grand Cayman i dont like to tender, loosing to much time. Went to swim with Stingrays..nice experience. Book the excursion my self 40$ per person...Roatan did the beach.. nice spot at the end of the pier to do some free snorkling if you have your geer...Cozumel, rent a jeep and tour the island..great day. Costa Maya.. went to the beach, Took the troley 3$ one way for a 10 min ride.In general it was a super vacations. 6 times with Carnival. Will continue to cruise with them. :)

Edited by helenemoreau

Just returned from Feb 8 western Caribbean and very disappointed. First of all I have been a CCL defender but it is getting harder to defend. First the good parts the shows were great , cabin steward was great and FTTF worked great.

Now for the bad,what has happened to the food? The buffet was very limited and you had to inspect your plates and utensils they were often dirty. I saw several people pick up food and sniff it and put it back.

When we got to Roatan they were slow opening gangway and it was a mob scene.

We only went to MDR twice the menu is the same since we started cruising in 2010 and is getting boring

I have been big CCL defender but it is getting hard .

We kind of felt the same way after cruising for vacation for many years in a row. So the past 2 years we opted for many shorter land based vacations, road trips, beach days in Southern California etc. Now we are looking so forward to our cruise in April. I'm feeling the excitement again:). However, I never expect much from the food but we don't cruise for the food. I am looking forward to Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana.

We kind of felt the same way after cruising for vacation for many years in a row. So the past 2 years we opted for many shorter land based vacations, road trips, beach days in Southern California etc. Now we are looking so forward to our cruise in April. I'm feeling the excitement again:). However, I never expect much from the food but we don't cruise for the food. I am looking forward to Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana.

Does the Splendor have Guy's and The Blue Iguana?

We are thinking about booking for April.

I was on the Splendor 2 weeks before the OP's cruise. I thought the Splendor was a great ship with excellent service, great ports, great food, great entertainmen, and a super clean ship.

I thought the buffet food was just fine with many salads, pasta, entrees, vegetables, breads, cheeses, deli meats and carving station and plenty of desserts. I thought it was plenty and a good variety. Besides the buffet, on Lido there is the Mongolin Wok, Tandoor Indian food, burgers and hot dogs etc. at the grill, deli, rotisserie, and pizza. How much more of a selection could someone possibly want? I did enjoy the food.:cool:

I agree. I was on Splendor 5 times last year and am going twice this year.

When I hear people complain about the menus/food I have to wonder what they eat at home!

I've been serving the same "menus" in my house for 30 years (lol) with no complaints..