Increase in intoxication with UBP?

johnlatte

Just curious about this..any of you that have sailed recently seeing an increase of intoxicated people that may have over indulged on the UBP? We always see a couple of folks that have gone over the limit, but with a free booze offering has it increased? Don't really want to sail on a week long booze cruise this summer (I will be enjoying the UBP though). Again, just curious...

Not at all.

I was on the Dawn three weeks ago and you would be surprised at how few people actually have the UBP (I did as we were in a suite and had all three promos - UBP, UDP and $300 OBC). Those that did seemed to be mostly sensible, including myself, drinking throughout the day but not noticeably drunk.

YMMV, obviously, but definitely from our point of view, no increase in drunkenness.

Not at all.

I was on the Dawn three weeks ago and you would be surprised at how few people actually have the UBP (I did as we were in a suite and had all three promos - UBP, UDP and $300 OBC). Those that did seemed to be mostly sensible, including myself, drinking throughout the day but not noticeably drunk.

YMMV, obviously, but definitely from our point of view, no increase in drunkenness.

We were in a suite with all 3 as well, I actually preferred the non alcoholic smoothies and daiquiri's rather than the alcoholic drinks which were included on the UBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On any given sailing, only a % of people booked during the small window when a promotion was offered. I'd be surprised if anyone notices any difference.

Our last 2 cruises were after UDP had been offered for free, and we didn't see a problem in the dining rooms. I figure this will be the same thing.

I sailed last year with Celebrity. They had been pushing their version of the UBP for a long time. I was a little afraid that there would be a lot of drunk people. To tell you the truth, I thought the bars would be packed. Really, I did not notice any difference from previous cruises. I think a previous poster was right and very few people actually get the drinks package.

We just got off the Jewel, and I was expecting to see more than normal but this was not the case. May be worse as when spring break starts and you get more of a younger crowd on board.

That's why the minimum age goes up to 25 for the spring.

I think more people choose the UBP over the other two choices is because it has grater value. Not because they want to get hammered.

The UDP is much cheaper to buy than the drinks package so people can/would be willing to spend the money on that.

Folks who would normally only have a frozen drink or two by the pool and a glass of wine at dinner, might decide "hey, let's try one of those drinks!" and therefore, the UBP has value to them.

Edited by ilovetotravel1977

Folks who would normally only have a frozen drink or two by the pool and a glass of wine at dinner, might decide "hey, let's try one of those drinks!" and therefore, the UBP has value to them.

We booked on the Getaway with the UBP after canceling a RCCI cruise for the same week in part to the offer, and a balcony guarantee that fit our budget. But earlier today I was looking at buying the UDP, since we will not have to pay for drinks...

While doing so I was looking at the Cagney's menu and saw their signature drink was the "Speakeasy Martini". I do not usually drink martinis, but since I have the UBP I plan on trying it.

Edited by bradleyk

We booked on the Getaway with the UBP after canceling a RCCI cruise for the same week in part to the offer, and a balcony guarantee that fit our budget. But earlier today I was looking at buying the UDP, since we will not have to pay for drinks...

While doing so I was looking at the Cagney's menu and saw their signature drink was the "Speakeasy Martini". I do not usually drink martinis, but since I have the UBP I plan on trying it.

I did the same. It's pretty good!

We were pleasantly surprised by the lack of intoxicated people on our cruise. Not knowing what to expect, I too figured that the UDP would pose a problem. We traveled in the off-season so there were a lot of retirees and couples, so I am sure during break times it could be different.

Ironically, the most obnoxious, intoxicated person we met was an older (late 60s?) lady in the Observation Lounge. She was sucking down Long Islands and got quite vocal. And she did NOT have the UDP (easier noticeable because she made a scene paying the waiter).

Lifeboat drill a couple sat at our table so drunk they were arguing about where their cabin was on the boat.(I prayed it was miles from ours)I was mortified:eek:.They proceeded to tell us they had paid over $2000.00 dollars:eek: for the UBP we were on a 21 day cruise and they were going to get their moneys worth:(. They were slurring their words ,sliding down their chairs. It got worse though as a lovely couple chose unfortunately to also sit at our table and in a very loud slurred voice the gentleman proceeded to introduced us as their best friends:eek:

Just off the Jewel as well, bartender told me 80% pax had the UBP. Considering that, I didn't see an overwhelming amount of intoxicated people...but most of the people sailing I would say were in their 20s and up, wasn't too many kids on the sailing. I got pretty good service at all bars, except for one time at the Martini bar, where I waited 30 minutes with my card out for someone to acknowledge me (They weren't even busy).

Because I got the package for free, I did tip a few of my favorite bartenders a few extra bucks and it DOES speed things along when you go to that particular bartender to get something - they do remember even that extra 1.00 bill! I only give it to them if they DESERVE it though. They were giving me GREAT service before I tipped them extra. and MOST of the bartenders I did not tip extra still gave really good service!

All in all, was very happy with everything

On my previous two cruises, we purchased the UBP. On one of my upcoming cruises, we will have it for free. I do not intend to drink any more on that cruise than I did on the previous cruises where I purchased it. :D

Edited by LrgPizza

Lifeboat drill a couple sat at our table so drunk they were arguing about where their cabin was on the boat.(I prayed it was miles from ours)I was mortified:eek:.They proceeded to tell us they had paid over $2000.00 dollars:eek: for the UBP we were on a 21 day cruise and they were going to get their moneys worth:(. They were slurring their words ,sliding down their chairs. It got worse though as a lovely couple chose unfortunately to also sit at our table and in a very loud slurred voice the gentleman proceeded to introduced us as their best friends:eek:

This goes to show that people will over drink even if they paid for it or not. Having the UBP is not going to turn Mr. Hyde into Dr. Jekyll.

I'm sorry you had to go through that BUT I also have to admit it made me laugh out loud it was pretty funny to hear about, I am sure not so funny to live it.