Snorkel on own @ Little French Key?

ebseckar

If you wanted to snorkel @ Little French Key with your own equipment, is your only option to do the package that includes the boat ride/guided snorkel tour? Is it possible to swim out to the reef and snorkel on your own instead? Thanks for any feedback.

If you wanted to snorkel @ Little French Key with your own equipment, is your only option to do the package that includes the boat ride/guided snorkel tour? Is it possible to swim out to the reef and snorkel on your own instead? Thanks for any feedback.

Why would you want to go there to snorkel there. You need to go to the west end of the island, much better snorkeling.

People have taken the canoes out there to snorkel. It can be done. I wouldn't say you could swim out though.

It is amazing out there and we didn't even go all the way out there. We went out by canoe and I took pictures from above (and also putting my camera under the water). The coral was just simply amazing. Some had to be at least 6' or more tall. Check out my review on LFK in my signature line. We were just there a second time 3 months ago and it has the pictures of where we went out there. :)

No it is not. It is only $10 per person (went there last February) and the guide will take you to the best spots via a small motorized skiff. I've snorkeled here twice, and will do so again when I return for another week this May.

The reef here is totally unspoiled, and has very vibrant fans and corals. The guide will know where to anchor the boat so you can swim over the reef. I've photographed lobster, octopus, and large schools of surgeon fish on my last trip to LFK.

There really is nothing to see from the shore, so going out with a guide on a boat is best.