Disney Dream SKIPPED Castaway...and wont correct the issue!

NerdyDad

To be fair, we've run into the same type of people on Holland America and Carnival. I don't think it's limited to Disney.

Oh I agree it definitely is not, and I see them on RCCL as well (we usually try to hit off-peak when the kids are in school, however). But, I imagined there to be many more families like this on Disney, considering that is their target audience.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Edited by OSULabRat

But, I imagined there to be many more families like this on Disney, considering that is their target audience.

Can't address the relative number of tense, irritable, over-reacting individuals on the various lines. I can tell you about the sweet but senile old ladies on Celebrity, however. No kidding--one of our dinner partners was a recent widow. Family put her on the cruise. She literally couldn't find her cabin or anything else without assistance and EVERY time she saw us, she had some sort of confusion issue.

It's not. And its not always a matter of attitude but one of ignorance (the lack of knowledge variety).

Too many people spend large sums of money on vacations (not just cruises) without doing any independent research and planning for alternatives in case Plan A goes wrong.

Part of that I attribute to the marketing of cruise lines, all inclusives, etc, which paint a far rosier picture than reality.

To be fair, we've run into the same type of people on Holland America and Carnival. I don't think it's limited to Disney.

OP, thanks for the reminder on why I will never cruise on Disney. Not because of them, but because of people like you.

Before everyone loses their mind, most of the replies here were perfectly reasonable and I would be happy to cruise with any of you. But... it's the small portion of people like OP and his family on board that I have always imagined exist on any Disney Cruise. It appears my suspicions may have been correct! ;)

You would let one troll stop your from enjoying your cruise. The OP was a 1st time poster and not the typical Disney cruiser. There are morons everywhere. Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

You would let one troll stop your from enjoying your cruise. The OP was a 1st time poster and not the typical Disney cruiser. There are morons everywhere. Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

Who said anything about not enjoying my cruise? All I did was point out that the demographic Disney caters to isn't necessarily for me, and your "Troll" did nothing to dissuade me from that point of view.

And thanks, I enjoy every cruise I'm on! :)

Who said anything about not enjoying my cruise? All I did was point out that the demographic Disney caters to isn't necessarily for me, and your "Troll" did nothing to dissuade me from that point of view.

And thanks, I enjoy every cruise I'm on! :)

We sail on both DCL and Royal, and I know there are likely many others like us. So the demographic doesn't actually stop people from swapping around. :)

I truly would not let fear of complainy people prevent you from sailing a different cruiseline.

We sail on both DCL and Royal, and I know there are likely many others like us. So the demographic doesn't actually stop people from swapping around. :)

I truly would not let fear of complainy people prevent you from sailing a different cruiseline.

Oh, it's not the complainy people, it's the Kids. Lol

Royal Caribbean docks at Labadee Haiti and has for a long time. I did it last year on Celebrity Silhouette.

OP should read his contract, this happens to all cruise lines...

Labadee does have a dock now. Royal had to add on so Allure & Oasis could dock there cuz tendering with that many passengers wasnt feasible. But thats why i said private island in the Bahamas.

Personally I don't think the OP is ever going to bother coming back.:rolleyes:

But anyway......

1st Disney cruise on the Wonder, 2003, with my mom. Hurricane hit just before & knocked out all power to CC. Disney took us to Charleston SC instead & I LOVED it!

2nd Cruise Disney Wonder, 2004, with my husband. Too windy, no Castaway Cay. Supplemental Navigator gave us lots of things to do that day.

Finally - My 3rd Disney Cruise - on the Magic in January of 2014....My mom and I made it CC, 10 years later, and on the 3rd try! It actually became a running joke we might never make it! When we finally did, it was nice.

Oh yes, I know the disappointment of missing a port. Our cruise to Panama Canal the weather was too rough to dock in Costa Rica. We had an extra sea day instead. We just got refunded the shore excursion we had planned and dream of making it back some day. I think this happens a lot more than people know! I heard a lot about cruise ships missing the private islands lately because of weather too. eg. Princess Cays , Castaway Cay, etc. A cruise for us right now is a once a year big treat so it is a worry for sure!

There is always the possibility of missing a port. Weather happens. Problems with the ship can happen. (we left CC early once as the ship had 2 engines malfunctioning and needed extra time to get us safely back to Port Canaveral).

It's really a matter of how you look at it. We try to take the approach that we're on vacation and whatever else happens, we're going to have a great time. If a port has to be missed, we'll have a lovely sea day. If everything goes as scheduled, that will be great.

Yes, it took us 3 Westerns till we were able to see Grand Cayman--it was becoming our family joke.

it looks as though the disney wonder got diverted to nassau today instead of castaway cay but to reply to your thread, if they tried 4-times, you have to give them credit for that......wouldn't you want your family to be safe...these guys know what they're doing and any mode of passenger transport is subject to certain guidelines, be it train / plane or ship

We also missed CC due to high winds and rough seas back in December 2014. The captain tried several times and just couldn't do it. I was disappointed, but quickly remembered that I was still on a cruise with lots to do!! And I wasn't sitting at my desk!! The captain was able to sail us to some calmer waters and bluer skies. We made the best of it after the new navigators were passed out. I have read that this happens quite a bit when trying to dock at CC. Even when we were able to dock in 2013, all water excursions were cancelled because of high winds. Again, disappointing, but made the best of it.

I have read that this happens quite a bit when trying to dock at CC.

There was an individual on line who tracked all cruises for many years. Misses docking ran consistently between 1 and 2% of cruises. BUT this was for the Magic and Wonder only. I have no solid info on how the size of the newer ships might have influenced these numbers.

Excursions being canceled due to high winds are a much more frequent event. And some services that are run by people other than those from the ship may be unavailable as they come over in smaller boats which may not be safe in the choppy water.

Oh man that stinks. We've sailed Disney and a few other lines over the past 10 years and have been pretty lucky. Although I am from Miami and am used to unforeseen closings for hurricanes or horrible weather, I totally understand how disappointing that would be for your family and it stinks if Disney offered a standard auto reply response to your concerns whether it is there fault or not...simple sincerity can go a long way in de-escalating situations, making customers feel appreciated, and creating long term loyal customers. Perhaps you will have better luck next time because it really can happen on any cruise. Don't fret over most of these replies from folks telling you how this should teach your kids a life lesson, etc., just ignore that silliness. Really, some of these replies seem so mean spirited. Enjoy your next cruise. I sure plan to enjoy mine. Headed for Disney Dream in the Fall!

Edited by cruiselover95

I can understand being bummed, but letting it ruin your whole experience is a little dramatic.

I honestly was prepared for us not to be able to dock the Fantasy on Friday having felt the motion the previous night and the winds that morning. I knew the seas were surge-y and current-y because on my excursion in St. Maarten (Soualiga Destinations with Captain Bob - it was AMAZING!!) we had to skip some swimming and snorkeling stops because the currents and surges were just too risky - and it's largely because of this weather system we're having all along the Eastern seaboard right now. Knowing that, I did pack my bag for the island, but I also lined up things to do based on what I knew was happening based on the Navigator - and my nook and other things so I was prepared either way.

Friday morning, I stood on Deck 13 Aft for the entire SLOW process as Commodore Tom worked to maneuver us into the channel safely - and honestly had it been anyone other than him I'm not sure we would have made it. We literally crept so slowly those of us watching couldn't tell if we were moving or not. Once he had us safely in the channel, he sped up a bit, but I could tell it was like trying to thread a needle in super high winds to get us in there.

Bottom line is weather happens. This isn't the Jungle Cruise where the boat is on a track. You're in open water and subject to the conditions that come with open water.

When we missed CC, we looked at it as more time to enjoy the ship. We go to a beach every summer so we weren't that excited. I went to the movie, one pooped kid took a much needed nap, two kids went to an animation class. I don't know recall what the spouse did.

Particularly with DCL, to me, the ship is the destination more than any port so I was happy to have more time onboard.

Putting things into perspective the original poster had never posted before this one. Is this simply an inflammatory post to rile people? Yup I'm sure it is.

I am impressed with the level of maturity and patience from those responding. I'd have a tough time biting my tongue from telling him what a total idiot he is.

Happy sails

~ Liz

This can be a two edge sword for the Captain. On two occasions, we managed to dock and in Kotor, had to leave early due to deterioration weather and in Cozumel, the wind was so bad leaving, the departure was scary.

That is part of why the ship always backs into the dock now (after getting stuck at Castaway once). It is easier to pull straight out to depart than to back out. They don't want to risk being unable to depart, so do the difficult maneuvers on the way in.

They used to try to back in and if not successful, to pull in forward--this is no longer done.