MTD Reservations?

kontraxed

I will be cruising on the Navigator in 74 days (May 3rd). I elected My Time Dining. In the past, on other cruise lines, that meant (No Worries!) just go up to the MDR when you want to and maybe have to get in a brief line. Now, it is my understanding that I am supposed to go on-line and make reservations for dinner. My first thought is, wouldn't it have been simpler to just sign up for the early seating? OK. Well, I have been checking the cruise planner daily and still no joy. I just keep seeing a message, "Sorry, we can not do that right now. Sign up on the ship." Well, that's what I wanted to do in the first place but I don't believe them. At some point, the sneaky folks at RCI will suddenly open up the on-line reservations and I'll be lucky to get a stale cracker in the MDR. It would be nice if they actually communicated with their customers and said, "for this cruise, we will start accepting reservations on XX/YY date" and then actually do it on that date.

Well, I've got to go and check the cruise planner again. Who knows?

Whilst you can make reservations ahead of time you are not required to. You can indeed attend the dining room when ready just as you have done on other cruises, or you can speak to the maitre D at the start of the cruise and get things booked in. If you just turn up the length of time you wait will vary depending on how popular that time is with other guests :) I believe the 7 - 730ish period is the busiest

Edited by BekkaW

You CAN but don't HAVE to sign up for a reservation time. I usually go w/ My Time and rarely book ahead of time. I usually go the first night and if like my table and like my time and like my wait staff, THEN i often ask to make a standing reservation or at least for a couple of nights.

The first night there usually is a line especially between 6:30 and 8PM but early or late, there usually isn't an issue. But the 1st night even WITH a reservation there can be a wait. So if that's so, don't despair, the next night will probably be a lot better.

PS: when I WANT to make a reservation for the 1st night, I usually don't have any luck until about 30 days out. Good luck.

I've heard people say that they have to wait for MTD. I assume that is more if you don't have a reservation?

honestly the only day there is a REAL wait is boarding day. people all seem to want to eat at the same time on that day. this is the only day I make reservations for ahead of time. our wait is very minimal, even during peak dining time.

now if you are larger party( more than 4) I do suggest you book specific times. you can either try and hit the same time every night, or cherry pick based on the day's activities. they have more 2 and 4 tops in MTD than they have seating for larger parties.

I will be cruising on the Navigator in 74 days (May 3rd). I elected My Time Dining. In the past, on other cruise lines, that meant (No Worries!) just go up to the MDR when you want to and maybe have to get in a brief line. Now, it is my understanding that I am supposed to go on-line and make reservations for dinner. My first thought is, wouldn't it have been simpler to just sign up for the early seating? OK. Well, I have been checking the cruise planner daily and still no joy. I just keep seeing a message, "Sorry, we can not do that right now. Sign up on the ship." Well, that's what I wanted to do in the first place but I don't believe them. At some point, the sneaky folks at RCI will suddenly open up the on-line reservations and I'll be lucky to get a stale cracker in the MDR. It would be nice if they actually communicated with their customers and said, "for this cruise, we will start accepting reservations on XX/YY date" and then actually do it on that date.

Well, I've got to go and check the cruise planner again. Who knows?

Maybe that dining reservations section online is meant for the specialty restaurants? Not sure but I get the same message too. I did call RCI the other day though to buy transfers and asked about dining reservations and the gal I spoke to said that reservations can be made 90 days in advance but not sure if she meant mtd or specialty. So you can call them and see if you can go that route.