Would like opinions on 5 vs. 7 day cruises please!!!!!

happywife0921

Hey cruise lovers!

Our most recent cruise was on the Dream back in September (which was awesome by the way). Now my hubby and I have discovered that we can both take a week off around the end of march and of course we want to spend it cruising. The only cruise date that will work for our time frame will be a 5 -day cruise on the Elation. Being that we have only done 7-day cruises before, Im just wondering about the shorter cruise experiences.

Does anyone have a preference between the two? Any drawbacks to being on a smaller ship?

Thanks for any input!

Hey cruise lovers!

Our most recent cruise was on the Dream back in September (which was awesome by the way). Now my hubby and I have discovered that we can both take a week off around the end of march and of course we want to spend it cruising. The only cruise date that will work for our time frame will be a 5 -day cruise on the Elation. Being that we have only done 7-day cruises before, Im just wondering about the shorter cruise experiences.

Does anyone have a preference between the two? Any drawbacks to being on a smaller ship?

Thanks for any input!

I will always prefer a 7-day (or longer) cruise over a 5-day cruise - but it certainly wouldn't stop me from booking a 5-day if it fit my schedule. In fact, when I learned oldest son would be home on leave from the Navy this week, I seriously considered booking a 5-day that sailed from Miami on Monday - that is, until middle son protested that it would mean missing basketball practice.:rolleyes: If it fits your schedule, go for it!

As for the older ships - we sailed on Fantasy in 2011, after 7 years of sailing on larger, newer ships. If the "bells and whistles" of a newer ship - like the steakhouse - are important to you, you may be disappointed. We went into our Fantasy cruise knowing that, and we really enjoyed the ship.

We have done our share of 3, 4, and 7 day cruises and also did one 5 day cruise. Although I will certainly prefer a 7 day cruise, I agree that a 5 day cruise is a nice runner up. It's enough time to get to relaxing and see a good port or two (instead of just Bahamas or Cozumel).

We've done 4, 7 and 8 night cruises and our next one in THREE DAYS will be a 5 night (Carnival Paradise). We have enjoyed ALL of our cruises, and I'm sure we'll enjoy this next one too. A few days on a cruise ship is better than NO DAYS on a cruise ship. :) And we have enjoyed all of the ships we've been on, they each have their good points and maybe not-so-good (although those are few and far between).

If you can go an not expect them to be the same, then its more than fine. For us, the Fantasy class ships are nice - at least the ones with a balcony. We have discovered that and OV just doesn't cut it for us; even in Alaska we were on our balcony a ton. And if the weather is yuck, then we want a couch so we can watch a movie, football, etc.

We far prefer a 7 day, but would do a 5 day, but be sure to make it a longer vacation by traveling and relaxing in the port city a few days prior to the cruise.

The majority of my cruises have been 7 days cruises, but I have done some 5 days. The 5 day cruises are more of a party crowd and the 7 days are more family like. I prefer 7 days to 5 days.

As for the older ships, I have been on the Elation and I can tell you that Elation is my 2nd least favorite ship (Dream is my 1st least favorite). It is old, the cabins are dated and need a MAJOR renovation (especially the bathroom), no 2.0 upgrades.

Happy cruising!

We have sailed 5 day, 7 day, 8 day, and 10 day cruises on small and large ships. If you can get the time off, I think the longer cruises are better. For one you must pack about the same for a 5 or 10 day. Just try not to drop food on your shirt or pants so you can wear them more than once or twice. I always take some items to change into after dinner. Longer cruises give you more time to enjoy the ships activities. Longer cruises have more sea days to just relax and enjoy the ship. We have enjoyed some of the smaller ships, the space to the number of guest makes the ship feel less crowded, but you may not have all the water slides and big screen and 2.0 improvement.

We have done 3, 4, 6 and 7 night cruises. Honestly they were all wonderful. The 4 night felt short as we were on the Disney Dream and rushed to try everything the ship offered. The 3 night was our anniversary cruise (it was all that fit our childcare and days off schedule). It was beyond amazing even though it was very short. The 6 day didnt feel very different from the 7. I would do a 5 night cruise if that was all that fit into my schedule!

Three, four, or five day cruises are good for last minute getaways. They also end before you get settled on the ship. We never consider anything less than 7 days, the travel required is to great a distance. If we can fit it in the schedule we look for 10+ day repo cruises.

I was on the Elation in December and we loved it. It was my first cruise so I didn't have any grand expectations. Just be prepared that it is a smaller ship than the Dream. I think you will like it, though. It is quick but is better than no cruise at all! I will on the Dream in April and June so then I can compare.

If you can go an not expect them to be the same, then its more than fine. For us, the Fantasy class ships are nice - at least the ones with a balcony. We have discovered that and OV just doesn't cut it for us; even in Alaska we were on our balcony a ton. And if the weather is yuck, then we want a couch so we can watch a movie, football, etc.

We far prefer a 7 day, but would do a 5 day, but be sure to make it a longer vacation by traveling and relaxing in the port city a few days prior to the cruise.

If you take a 5 day cruise and add a few days in the port city might as well do a 7 in my book.

Hey cruise lovers!

Thanks for any input!

When i went on the elation, i still looked at the whole trip both in port city and time on ship. The extra days in new orleans was great even though we only had a five day cruise. I mean who wouldnt want a longer cruise anyway?The Elation is a great ship! but i thought that whole vacation was perfect. What a port. Love new orleans!

Thanks everybody! Youre right, 5 days is better than no days. We are open to the smsller ship just to be able to have a quick getaway. Plus, my mother's birthday is around that time, so we are trying to maybe get her on as a surprise and this will be her first cruise so hopefully she will love it.

I have done 4, 5,7, 8, and 12 day cruises ...... and getting ready for a 14 day one this summer! Any cruise is a good cruise - we always choose our cruises based on which ones fit our schedules the best and the ports of call. Go on the 5 day one - you'll enjoy it!

Edited by sgcass123

Hey cruise lovers!

Thanks for any input!

A week ago, I would have said, no way would I do less than a 7 day cruise, but sometimes life interrupts out wishes, and I just found out that my previously booked 7 day cruise for September was not going to work for me, and I looked and looked for another in October, which was the only other time I could cruise. I could only find 7 day cruises on the western itin, which I have done way to many times, so I did choose a 5 day, which at least went to two new cruise destinations for me.

I could have gone on a 6 or 7 day western to the same old same places, or a 5 day to two new destinations, plus I could then add on a couple of days pre cruise in Miami.

So in one week, my feelings have changed, and so now a 5 day suddenly works for me. It will be the first cruise since 1999, (8 cruises), that I do less than 7 days. But I know that I will still have a good time. 5 cruise days, and 2 or 3 in Florida before back home. Still works for me.

Love it SMSACES..things change. OP I can say my 4 day felt longer and more refreshing than my 5 day. A lot of variables...do what you can...sounds like a wonderful surprise of time and those are often the best for me..the shorter out surprises that all fall in place...Sarah

I had a great time on our 7 day last year but honestly in my opinion only, I think the 5 day is the PERFECT length!!! Of course, most of the time we cruise without our girls so after about 4 or 5 days we are missing them so much that we are ready to head home!!! Now if we have our girls with us, I can stay on the boat forever!!!!

If I lived close enough to the port to arrive by road and plenty of vacation time to use at another time than I would consider a 5 day cruise. Since I have to go through the logistics/hassle of getting there I personally would avoid anything less than 7 days. If you get a couple of full days in Florida to make a full week getaway perhaps that's not bad. Longer is better but no cruise is not good so if 5 days is all you can fit in then party on!:D

The longer cruise the better if you can. I don't think I would want less than 5 days unless I lived by a port. There are 5 days with good itineraries and just fine. Last year did 5 day on Paradise with the Carnival

Live Concert and had a great time!! Whichever you choose I hope you have a wonderful vacation