Rome tour in the middle of back to back?

2910car

We are on the October 17 and 31 Silhouette. I am wondering if Celebrity will offer a tour of Rome (our debark first cruise and and embark second cruise port).

I see in the shore excursion booklet they have tours for people going to the airport or to a hotel in Rome. Even though we have been in Rome twice we still would like to go for even a panoramic ride around Rome and not just sit on the ship. So if anyone has done a back to back like this I am hoping they will enlighten me. We know we could get a private tour but feel more comfortable on a ship excursion.

Alternately, is it possible to spend the day in Civitavecchia? is it a ice place to walk around with some shops and maybe lunch?

I can't answer whether Celebrity offers tours of Rome but I think you would be very rushed and not worth the effort. I would guess you could get off the ship around 7am. The drive to rome is 1.5 hours there and 1.5 back. That doesn't leave you much time to see Rome.

Perhaps others have done it and think differently.

I check wit "X" directly. If you ship departs late evening....there's a good chance they will. If it's a 5PM-ish sailing, probably not. Going to/from Rome is going to be about a 3 hr trip round trip and wouldn't allow much time to see much of anything. As for Civitavecchia, it's a charming little town to stroll around in and explore (but then I think every place in Italy is a charming little town). If you get off in the AM and sail 5-ish, you will have ample time to explore.

Likely there will be tours to Rome, both specific tours as well as "on your own" tours. Plus, it is very easy to do it yourself--the free port shuttle to town and then the frequent and inexpensive train to central Rome. If you take the fast train (more expensive) the travel time to Termini in central Rome is around 45 minutes. We've done it many times and yes, your time in Rome is limited but for us, it beats spending all day sitting on the ship.

Not much in Civitavecchia. A few restaurants and very limited shopping.

Edited by ECCruise

Are your cruises beginning and ending in the same port? Three years ago we were on a b2b on HAL from Civitavecchia. We were a group of six, and made arrangements for a one day tour of Rome through Rome In Limo. They provided a mini van, driver and tour of Rome. They also made arrangements for a guided tour of the the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters Basilica. It was pricey, but well worth the money. They met us at dockside at 8:00 AM and had us back by 4:00 PM and hour before departure. You can try and get a group together using the roll call feature of CC or look on line for shared tours. We did another b2b two years ago and had just spent a week in Rome. We decided not to go back to Rome and spent the day in Civitavecchia, walking in the market, eating lunch, getting caught up on the internet, shopping for snacks wine and other goodies.

We are on the October 17 and 31 Silhouette. I am wondering if Celebrity will offer a tour of Rome (our debark first cruise and and embark second cruise port).

I see in the shore excursion booklet they have tours for people going to the airport or to a hotel in Rome. Even though we have been in Rome twice we still would like to go for even a panoramic ride around Rome and not just sit on the ship. So if anyone has done a back to back like this I am hoping they will enlighten me. We know we could get a private tour but feel more comfortable on a ship excursion.

Alternately, is it possible to spend the day in Civitavecchia? is it a ice place to walk around with some shops and maybe lunch?

I have done it...sort of...

A few years back I was on a cruise that ended in Rome...

One of my cruise mates with whom we were sharing other private tours in other ports was doing a back to back...

She had booked a private guide for Rome...and we joined her and some others on a Rome tour...

Of eight of us sharing the van, only my wife and I were staying in Rome...the other six were all doing a "back-to-back"...The guide picked us all up at the ship in the morning, gave us a tour of Rome, dropped my wife and I off at our hotel...and returned the others to the ship in plenty of time to board for their next sailaway...

Celebrity doesn't offer this...but you can book it yourself with a number of private guide services...It is very do-able...

OTOH, another cruise ending in Civitavecchia, we walked around town before picking up our rental car there...Not really all that much there...

If you've spent time in Rome before and don't feel the need to visit again, sure, you can walk around Civitavecchia and find a restaurant for lunch...not exciting, but, you can kill time if you need to...

I'd check with some folks and see if you could arrange a trip up to Tarquinia. Very interesting Etruscan ruins and museum. Actually, we took a local bus up (a couple of euros each), and caught the bus back about mid afternoon. Were a few tourists and a few other ship passengers. Had a nice lunch and wine at one of the local restaurants.

Not a whole lot in Civitaveccia, though we did spend two nights and a day there. Had nice meals in local places recommended by the hotel staff.

We were on a B2B on the Reflection last April/May. During the first cruise there was a tour made available for the B2B cruisers. It took us to Rome, stopped at the Colosseum, a Cathedral, and dropped us off at the Vatican to be on our own. It then picked us up a few hours later and took us back to the ship. When we got off the bus we were handed our new sea pass cards. Like I said it wasn't announced until about the middle of the first cruise. I do not remember the cost but to us it was worth it just to get a glimpse of Rome and not worry about missing the ship.

Don't forget to factor in the time it will take to get your new sea pass card. If you are changing cabins add that time to your calculations.

One of the recommended tour operators is your best bet if you want to pre-plan the day and not wait until you are mid way through your cruise. There are probably others on your Roll Calls who might be interested in doing a little Rome run.