Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

Megacruiser,

I have been enjoying your review since yesterday! Thank you for the time and effort you put forth to write it, it is appreciated!! Keep up the good work!! Looking forward to your next installment.

Hello RN Cruiser1,

Thanks. It really is very kind of you to take the time to give feedback.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Megacruiser, I appreciate your honesty regarding my solo group questions, most wouldn't have bothered. Your review is fabulous, I'm boarding for memorial day week. I'm a ship person like you another appreciation. Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks for coming back Debbie, and your very kind comment.

Cheers!

megacruiser

Hello Mirrasi,

Sorry if you thought I was referring to you - not at all. Someone on a different board expressed an opinion to the effect that I was rather pathetic asking for feedback repeatedly. So I just wanted to explain my reasons...

I am delighted you are taking such an interest.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Like any forum, there are always rude people. Reviewers spend a significant time to write the reviews, and then unappreciating posters comments rudely. I have often wished I could block certain people from reading my reviews. Don't let them discourage you. There are thousands of CC members who enjoy your review.

On a side note, I love the photos you took! I had never really considered a mirrorless camera before. I am thinking when it is time to replace my DSLR, I may consider it.

Megacruiser,

Your review has given me a good idea of what to expect on my upcoming first cruise on NCL and has enhanced my anticipation.

Your review of the QM2 has brought back wonderful memories of my time on her and made me realize that once was not enough.

Now I'm off to read your Queen Elizabeth review.

The time and effort you have devoted to your in-depth reviews is most appreciated.

I hope you are sailing again soon, because no matter what line you choose, I look forward to your thoughts and they could very well open my mind to expanding my horizons to a new (to me) cruise line.

Regards,

Marion

Good to hear from you Marion. Anyone who can happily cruise on Cunard and NCL must be pretty open-minded. It's good to appreciate the differences rather than focus only on the things that disappoint. As I said before, variety is the spice of life!

Kind regards

megacruiser

I am enjoying your review, especially your detailed assessment of the food and drink.

Do you use legacy glass as well as modern lenses? I have a Fuji XE-1 and tend to use older manual lenses and my kit lens goes underutilized.

Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Hello and thanks for commenting. I am new to photography, so I am still learning. Poor light seems to be the biggest problem capturing food photos. So I mainly use a 35mm f1.4 prime lens. I don't much use the kit lens either, although I feel it is a better lens than the kit lens that came with my first proper camera, the Nikon D5200, which is now redundant due to its bulk.

Kind regards

megacruiser

Thanks so much for posting the review. I'm enjoying it greatly. Going on the Breakaway in May and figure it gives me some heads up. If you ever have a chance to do the Chef's Table on Princess it is over the top. This one did look close in comparison.

I have gone on over 80 cruises but always with someone. Thinking of maybe trying the solo cabins with Norwegian. What is your pro and cons on them. Thanks again.

What a great review!!!

The time that you put into this is beyond amazing- so thank you!

I can't find the post, but a gal was inquiring about the towns of the comedy shows and wanton to book her dinner around them

Looking at the ones that you have posted, the shows, including even the 55 to stay Alive game on the Atrium are all at the same time that they were on the July cruise we took and the December cruise.

The only show that I saw changing was Legally Blonde. It changed before our first cruise on GA.

That cruiser should have no problem using your dailies to book her dinners.

Thanks again for your fun fun fun review!!'

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're very much welcome. Your pictures are great and don't apologise for asking for feedback to confirm that you're not wasting your time.

Your review is one of those that people will reference as it's so detailed and with lots of good pictures. That's a huge amount of effort and it's much appreciated.

We loved the ship last year and are looking forward to doing it again this year. I may even get to do the cable car this time.

Keep it coming. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

I love your review of the Getaway! We're booked on her May 2nd and now I really can't wait!! Thank you for posting the photos and taking so much time to chronicle everything in such detail. Although we've been on 8 cruises, I always find I'm a bit nervous about what to expect on a ship we've never sailed on before. I now don't feel that way about our upcoming Getaway cruise and I thank for that!!!

Legally%20Blonde-_zpsiju7bvra.jpg

This evening I was booked for Legally Blonde in the Getaway Theatre. I suppose I am just not a musical-theatre lover as such, as I had never even heard of it. When chatting with a woman on The Waterfront the following evening, she advised me that a film version had been made, so I assume others have seen something in it that I certainly did not at that performance. I didn’t know any of the songs and frankly I found the general feel of it to be flimsy; silly, giggly, overacted tosh-and-nonsense. Perhaps the hammy delivery was intentional and intended to be funny; not for me. I tholed it for as long as possible; but after 45 minutes I surrendered and scurried away in search of a stiff Gin and Tonic. I hope I have conveyed my feeling adequately; I didn’t like it! :)

HI all!

megacruiser ~ just found this review yesterday & am loving it!:D I've never seen such lovely fireworks pictures! I'm reliving my Getaway cruise & also learning some things. Having cruised 3 times on Epic solo I'd never received a solo program like you showed so hope to have one on my Christmas cruise.

Now I'll have to read your Epic adventure too.

That charred broccoli at Ocean Blue is an acquired taste for sure!;)

Anyhow on with the review on your schedule, you're doing a great job!

~ Jo ~ :)

Dinner tonight was another late one, this time in Cagney’s. The lighting is pretty dim and photos were also difficult to take because of shadows.

Now let’s get down to what a good steakhouse should do above all else – serve top-quality steak that is correctly cooked. NCL serve a type of steak known as Certified Angus Beef; a marketing brand for the Angus breed, which originates in Aberdeenshire here in Scotland. If you read my Epic review you will know I had two disappointments with steak at Cagney’s. The first was Filet Mignon, which was tender but lacked flavour and succulence. The second was New York Strip which tasted really delicious but sadly was not tender. I accept I am fussy about steak so I wasn’t prepared to take the risk of a further fiasco.

It was with more than a hint of trepidation that I decided to try the Sea Bass, which was apparently from Chile. I was expecting something decidedly unexceptional. What a surprise! It was better than either of the fish I ate at Ocean Blue. In fact it was so good that when I took my tour of the galley with the Chef’s-Table-group the following day; I asked the Chef if there was some special storage method that kept the fish so fresh-tasting. Apparently not; it is frozen but they use a slow-thawing process that helps with the final eating quality. Anyway I would order it again, it was so delicious. The other dishes I ordered I had had before and I enjoyed them all.

Cagneys%20Staff-8215_zpspqfgacwf.jpg

Cagneys%20diners-8216_zpsptexfc1q.jpg

I suppose I should have had white wine but I was getting a taste for this one...

Cagneys%20wine%20oberon-8235_zps1hobjnz4.jpg

Cagneys%20menu-8450_zpsia2jsmc6.jpg

Crab starter – enjoyed it, simple as it was...

Cagneys%201%20crab-_zpsd5yw7kxd.jpg

Baked Potato Soup – much better and more delicate than it sounds...

Cagneys%201%20soup-_zpsaelhhfxp.jpg

Grilled Sea Bass – perfectly cooked and extremely enjoyable...

Cagneys%201%20sea%20bass-8228_zpslzk3ylhu.jpg

Sides; Green Beans, Gratin Potatoes and roasted Mushrooms...

Cagneys%201%20sides-8230_zpslkwwfgy0.jpg

d3309460-4033-4fc9-bc11-72dd0efd579e_zpswmuikhg6.jpg

Apple Cardamom Crisp... reminds me of mum's Apple Crumble, but where's the custard?

Cagneys%201%20pud-8231_zpsewvbjta7.jpg

Day 5 MDR Menu...

Day%205%20dinner-_zpszvxuonic.jpg

Next time - Day 6 at Sea, Galley Tour, Dinner at Moderno and the best Deck Party I have ever been to - Glow at Spice H2O...

Thanks for all the feedback. I will respond soon...

Edited by megacruiser

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this review. I realize how much time it takes and can appreciate your problems with Photobucket. I am loving reading it.

I also like getting feedback when doing a review. It is nice to know that someone it out there enjoying it.

A few thoughts: It is YOUR review, do it your way, and don't pay any attention to the 'nay sayers' and complainers.

Your pictures are amazing.

My first Chef's Table My DH declined to join me. The way they kept refilling wine glasses, I totally had no idea how much I had been drinking. By the time we were to be served the veal, I realized that I had to stop drinking and stop eating! And we were finally being served the red wines that I love. I stayed to the bitter end though and enjoyed tiny tastes of it all. I have enjoyed it twice since then with DH and family members and was better able to pace myself.