What do you think of the Statendam?

KruzPrincess

Here's the story. I hadn't sailed on HAL in many years. I usually cruise on Princess, but I like trying other cruise lines when they offer me something interesting. Last year, I booked the Veendam on a Canada/New England round trip from Boston. Unfortunately, I was on the cruise that was cancelled in Quebec City and we were kicked off the ship. It was a mess, but I don't have anything bad to say about HAL. They handled it well, but now I'm a bit hesitant about these older ships. I know it was just bad luck and all that. Yet, even my TA keeps telling me I should stick to newer ships.

Now, I've found the Statendam is doing that 14 day Alaska cruise this summer. I really like the itinerary and am seriously looking at this cruise. Has there been any pesky recurring mechanical issues with the Statendam? What's the condition of the ship? What are your recent experiences with her? How is she different from the Veendam?

Thank you.

The Veendam and Statendam are sister ship, so it is the same size and layout. We did 43 days on her in Nov/Dec of 2013 and had one of the best cruises we have ever had. Love her small size, fantastic crew. Have done the 14 day Alaska cruise and it is wonderful.

I don't have any recent experience on her, but there have been many more problems reported for both the Veendam and Statendam than the other sisters, Maasdam and Ryndam. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of those two ships to a friend who had never sailed HAL before, but I would be hesitant to recommend Statendam or Veendam.

Edited by jtl513

My wife and I did the final Alaskan cruise of the season last year and enjoyed the Statendam immensely. We have been wanting to try the smaller S-class ships and it was a great experience. The 14 day itinerary is also a treat over the usual 7 day sailing.

No mechanical issues, ever polite and attentive crew, shorter lines. My wife and I and my sister and her husband renewed our vows on this sailing. The captain officiated and was very engaging and gracious before and during the ceremony.

You are probably aware the Statendam is leaving the HAL fleet soon. I would sail her again if possible before that occurs.

-Cliff

In 2011 we did a Panama Canal in a Neptune Suite (just after a refit) and the room was wonderful. In June 2014 I did a 7 day Alaska in one of the inside, basement, troglodyte rooms. This room was in perfect condition, no wear on upholstery, room in excellent condition. Stewards were as great as they had been when I was in a Neptune. In this room there was a heating problem (unbearably hot) an electrician came and worked on wires for a while and fixed the problem.

Anyway, this is a very nice ship in excellent condition.

We have sailed Statendam a few years ago and loved it (the same with Ryndam ist sistership). I recently visited Statendam during its stay in Puerto Vallarta. I was surprised to see how well maintained Statendam still looks realising it will leave the fleet end of this year. (too bad, love the size of the ship).

Edited by Ine

We found the Veendam to be perfectly fine a year ago (March 2014) and would recommend the ship to anyone desiring a small-ship experience. Problems reported by some, such as a machine odor in the hallway, a couple years ago have been long repaired.

I have not noticed any new complaints on this forum since we sailed on the Veendam. What is the basis of your statement?

igraf

I don't have any recent experience on her, but there have been many more problems reported for both the Veendam and Statendam than the other sisters, Maasdam and Ryndam. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of those two ships to a friend who had never sailed HAL before, but I would be hesitant to recommend Statendam or Veendam.

Edited by igraf

How is she different from the Veendam?

The Statendam still has her original deck plan, unlike the Veendam. She has not had her aft pool removed, additional cabins placed there, or the "Retreat" area with the raised hot tubs platform. There is still a lovely aft sitting area to sit and watch the scenery.

The lack of additional cabins means there is no additional demand on public space from all those extra passengers.

I've sailed on the Statendam for about 40 days. The last cruise was at least 3 years ago if not more. At that time the ship has engine problems and I thought it looked shabby. I will not step foot on that ship again. I'm pretty happy it will be gone soon. I would stick to the newer ships but that is my opinion and not shared by many on this board.

Last year, I booked the Veendam on a Canada/New England round trip from Boston. Unfortunately, I was on the cruise that was cancelled in Quebec City and we were kicked off the ship. It was a mess, but I don't have anything bad to say about HAL. They handled it well, but now I'm a bit hesitant about these older ships.

Ooops.... I assume it this incident.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/holland-america-cancels-cruise-after-ship-breaks-down-in-quebec-city-1.2783627

We will be on the statendam im May and looking forward to it.

We know it is an old Lady but we like the smaller number of passengers and Love the initary.

So we do not mind of the Ship is older Or not, as Long the Crew is nice and the food is as good as in the Noordam😊

We were on the Statendam for 39+ days in Nov. and will be on her again for a 14 day Alaska cruise in June. There were no mechanical problems that we were aware of. The main differences between the Statendam and the Veendam is that the Statendam does not have any lanai cabins. The Statendam rear pool is the origional design and liked by most. The Veendam rear pool was redesigned several years ago. We love both ships.

I am glad to read so many favourable comments on the Statendam, we are doing a 14 night Alaska sailing on her this June and I was wondering in what condition she was in. I love the itinerary and the small ship size and can't wait to get on board.