Must brings, 2.0

brd1121

That's what she thought too! But they wanted 42$ for walking in the door and filling out paperwork and 167$ to see the doctor and that was before giving any meds. They left and found a fellow cruiser to borrow them from.

I would have expected that they would have handed out the Dramamine like candy or even done A free exam to confirm it wasn't noro and sent them on their way...that was not what she was offered.

Usually the front desk is where to ask for the free OTC like Dramamine, Bonine, Meclazine. As your friend discovered, anything from medical will cost.

That's what she thought too! But they wanted 42$ for walking in the door and filling out paperwork and 167$ to see the doctor and that was before giving any meds. They left and found a fellow cruiser to borrow them from.

I would have expected that they would have handed out the Dramamine like candy or even done A free exam to confirm it wasn't noro and sent them on their way...that was not what she was offered.

That's because she went to the MD, instead of just asking at the reception desk.

My hubby will take a trash bag to use for our dirty laundry. Makes it easy to carry the items to the self-service laundry room. I bring allergen-free detergent as one member of our family is allergic to regular detergent (which is a major reason we're not sending out our clothes to the ship's laundry).

Also will bring our own medications, as 1) the ship's stores have a huge mark up, 2) the stores on board might have limited types/brands, etc., 3) and when you need these, the ship's store may be closed

As for bungee cords for keeping your balcony door open, I hope you first find out if keeping the door open will screw up the climate control for the area where your cabin is.

[COLOR="Black"]On a previous cruise, when we were eating dinner with the Chief Engineer and several other passengers, when one of the people at our table brought up the subject of regulating room temperature.

He said some passengers use bungee cords for keeping the door open without realizing that it affects the climate control for the area where their cabin is located. They may be enjoying the sea breeze while the passengers on either side of them may be uncomfortable because their room is too warm/too cold![/COLOR]

I'm always so surprised at all of the odds n ends that people say they need/bring on a cruise. First cruise we went on, I brought lots of little things that I did not use.....not even once.
I'm so happy that I learned that the first time ..... that all of those little goodies are not needed. And all they do is clutter the cabin.
I unpacked them. They were so annoying, always having to rummage through them to find what I really needed to use. So, never again! We travel really light, and we love it that way.
The only things I read about here that I do bring is a highlighter to mark my daily newsletter of the activities I think sound like "do not miss." And I also bring several dollar bills for tipping room service.

I have a list of OTC meds I take on each trip. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them landed on that list because at one time or another I needed them and didn't have them. There's nothing like needing Immodium or Tums at 2:00 a.m. on a cruise and not having it. Yeah, you can usually buy what you need, but not only will you pay top dollar for it, but you'll often spend a lot of time finding and buying it, and on vacation that's an even more valuable commodity.

We just take a couple of garbage bags for dirty laundry. The idea of throwing dirty underwear in my nice suitcases squicks me out.

DH has an LL Bean over-the-door toiletries case, and I have one from Vera Bradley, so we don't seem to need the shoe case, but there are only two of us in a cabin so we've always found the storage space to be adequate for our needs. I imagine if you're traveling with children it would be very handy.

On our last trip the outlet was in a lamp, and, as a PP said, the square charger for my iPad didn't fit unless I propped the lamp up. We each travel with a phone, a Kindle, and one iPad and prefer to charge them all at night. I didn't bring a power strip on our last cruise and I missed it. We were charging something or other at all times of the day, and there were occasions I had to unplug a charger so I could use my curling iron or the hair dryer. It's much easier to charge them all at once and then stow everything away.

One thing I've found useful is a small stick of sun block I can throw in my purse when we're on an excursion. I spray my body before I get dressed but found that I am constantly wiping my face in the heat and taking off the block. I can reapply it to my face and avoid the Rudolph look.

I appreciate the suggestions as to items that others have found useful. Some work for me and I bring them and others I skip. I gladly trade the convenience of having what I need when I need it for the "freedom" of packing light. Our room is always neat and never cluttered and I can always put my hands on what I need quickly.