Best Dolphin Encounter Question

kfr307

Hi, I am not sure this is the right place to post this (new to site) but could someone PLEASE tell me which has the best Dolphin encounter. We are on the Valor Western in Feb and I want to make sure I get one that has the most interaction as possible. So if anyone could help I would really appreciate it. TIA!!!!

Not to start a spar with you but I'm sure you have no animals at home right? Like a cat, dog, ect??????????? I've always been told ANY animal can be trained to be a wonderful pet. I'm sure it is horrible for these animals to get lots of hugs and kisses from hundreds of people. I know I would just hate that.

Actually I don't have any pets, I love dogs, but no one's home during the day and it would be unfair of me to keep one cooped up all day.

If you do a bit of research into the lives of these captive dolphins, and you think about their intelligence and beauty, you might think twice about supporting programs that pen them in and force them to repeat tricks for our amusement. There's a big difference in the way these dolphins are used for entertainment, as opposed to how they'd live in the wild, as opposed to the difference in how a dalmation lives with people and how it would do in the wild.

I wasn't trying to start an Animal Rights thread, I'm really not a fan of how SOME of those groups operate. But dolphins are extremely intelligent creatures and these programs totally minimize their ability to appreciate life.

Actually I don't have any pets, I love dogs, but no one's home during the day and it would be unfair of me to keep one cooped up all day.

If you do a bit of research into the lives of these captive dolphins, and you think about their intelligence and beauty, you might think twice about supporting programs that pen them in and force them to repeat tricks for our amusement. There's a big difference in the way these dolphins are used for entertainment, as opposed to how they'd live in the wild, as opposed to the difference in how a dalmation lives with people and how it would do in the wild.

I wasn't trying to start an Animal Rights thread, I'm really not a fan of how SOME of those groups operate. But dolphins are extremely intelligent creatures and these programs totally minimize their ability to appreciate life.

I agree. Originally the wife and I were going to do the Dolphin Swim in Cozumel, but decided we didn't want to support such an industry. We'll do something else instead.

We did the dolphin encounter at the blue lagoon in Nassau in Feb. and while it is sad that these dolphins are penned in some, it truly was the best experience for me. We used to have 2 dolphins in a large pool at our local amusement park, but no one could even get close to them, so this was just a wonderful experience that I will never forget. My 75 year old mom and I loved it and would do it again if given the chance!

In Cozumel there is Chankanaub, a national park. They have swim with the dolphins here and when we watched a swim, we very very impressed. This may be where the ship's tour comes for more $$$. There was one lady in with the dolphins and her swim was quite long. They also have a dolphin encounter - a big rip off. You stand on a platform in water and dolphins swim by so you can pet them, then they splash you. Watch this before you pay for it.

Chankanaub also has a big beach with trees for shade, a seal show, 'ruins' and great snorkling.

You should be able to find more info at Chankanaub .com............

Is Cozumel the only place you would reccomend for swimming with the dolphins? I've noticed it is offered on 2 or 3 of the islands in the West Carribean. Thank you for any info anyone can give me.. Emily:) :)

In the western caribbean--besides cozumel the next place is Nassua. If its anywhere else-- I havent seen it offered.

I am heading out to Tahiti in October....isn't there a Dolphin Encounter there as well? This is on my list of top things to do once in my life. But I would like to actually swim with them, and not stand on a platform and pet them. We went to Cancun last month and saw the Dolphin Encounter at Xen Ha. We tried to get signed up, but it was sold out. When we went to look we saw that they only stood on a platform, gave a few hand signals for the dolphins to do tricks and that is about it. It was over pretty quickly.

There is one in Tahiti on Moorea. It is located on the grounds of a very nice hotel there. We pre-booked our excursion, and then when we showed up at the gate the security gaurd would not let us in. We had to drive down the road about 10 minutes find a pay phone, and called the hotel, and we had the hotel to tell the dumb *ss to let us in. He still didn't want to let us in and continued to play the tough guy for a minute. I said if I call the hotel again and you don't let us in I will make sure that you are fired. He let me in while grumbling the whole time. We enjoyed it, and they try to make it educational, which was a joke, but I didn't feel that the dolphins were treated any worse than those at sea world. :D

jmho

jc

Concerning the dolphin swim and how much time you spend with them, we did this last year and had a most wonderful time. Make sure you book the " Royal Swim", not the Encounter or swim and snorkle. With those you only stand on a platform and get to pet them a little.The " Royal" swim, you will actually get to do different tricks with them, like a foot push, a fin tow, a free swim time in the water with them. And FYI, they are all treated rather well and we loved every minute of it, in fact,going back next year to do it again! Have a great trip! Jaxson:)

Archived