London to Dover

We are taking a National Express Bus from Victoria Bus Station to Dover (then a taxi to the ship). It is by far the cheapest way - - if you are less than 60 years old, it is 10 pounds 50 pence, but if you are lucky enough to be 60 or older, (like me) it is only 5 pounds 25 pence. It takes about 2-1/2 hours but is a nice drive, apparently. Buses go every half hour all day. You can access their website at: [url="http://www.nationalexpress.com"]www.nationalexpress.com[/url]

Hi

When we took the Baltic Capitals cruise, we researched “transfer services” as they’re called on the Internet, got several quotes (some must have thought we wanted to buy the vehicle not just be driven from point A to point B) and made arrangements with Lloyd Martin, who ran a transfer service from Dover. As a matter of fact, we found out during the drive that he and his wife run a B&B in Dover. Unfortunately, Lloyd Martin has ceased the transfer operation. He now recommends Tours of the Realm.

I have corresponded with Denise, the proprietor; here's her contact info:

Denise Ryeland, Proprietor, Tours of the Realm
Hammond House, Limekiln Street
Dover, Kent, CT17 9EE, England
Tel: 01304 248 304; Fax: 01304 240 374
[url="http://www.toursoftherealm.com"]http://www.toursoftherealm.com[/url]
[email]enquiries@toursoftherealm.com[/email]

And info about the service:
1-4 passengers £125.00 ; 1-6 passengers £140.00

Hope this helps.

Bev

On some departure dates there are buses direct to the Cruise Terminal from Victoria Coach Station. On the web site, key in Victoria Coach Station and Dover Cruise Terminal and see what comes up. Otherwise the nearest stop is Dover Town Centre which, as a previous poster has advised, is a short taxi ride away.

Dave & Marge Morgan

I am signed up to take the ship's transfer from Gatwick to Dover.
I am told that a Celebrity representative will meet me at the baggage converse and load me up. I have a 10:05 a.m. plane arrive.

Can someone tell me how long the trip will take to Dover and what route it will take.
thank you.

love
joan

I went to the National Express site but did not find service from Victoria Station to the Dover cruise terminal, only Dover town centre. Also, there is a 20 lb pp luggage limit because of space restrictions on the bus.

Anyone have more info? It definitely is the cheapest at 5 pounds.

We booked the bus from London Victoria to Dover town centre. I have been told that it is a short cab ride to the cruise terminal. The baggage limit is 2 medium size suitcases, 20KG each. That is about 44 pounds for each suitcase. I have been told by posters on this board that the weight limit isn't strictly enforced. I don't know if that is true, but I hope so. Here is the infomation from the National Express web site:

"We have limited luggage space in the holds of our coaches which is why we ask that each passenger only bring a maximum of two medium sized suitcases weighing no more than 20kg each and one piece of hand luggage with them when travelling by coach."

The bus is by far the least expensive means of transport, and sounds like a fun adventure. We are looking forward to the trip!

We booked our transfers from London to Harwich and back with Londontown.
[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8463082432&m=932109761"]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=8463082432&m=932109761[/url]

It is not quite as inexpensive as you are seeing, however they pick you up at the hotel, take you right to the terminal and pick you up and return you to your hotel. The more people the cheaper per person. No hassles handling bags in the crowded Victoria Station with all those stairs. From experience this sets you up for pickpockets, hands full, slightly lost, and looking like you are on vacation. This is not to say London is worse than other ciites. I fear it is the same everywhere including here in the USA.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004
Serenade of the Sea August 2003
Splendour of the Sea August 1999
Legend of the Sea August 1997
Rotterdam May 1989

nny92825100 if you see this would you provide another link to the Londontown vendor through which you obtained the London/Dover transportation arrangements? I was unable to connect through the link you offered, and 'Londontown' brings up a host of links on Google.

Thanks very much.

Cancel my earlier request; I was able to find the Londontown link for transportation information. I also explored the nationalexpress.com site for bus information and learned London (Victoria Coach Station) to Dover Cruise terminal transport is indeed available June 29th, the day we board the Regatta. There are many departures available.

Glad you found info. I think National Express is who we booked London to Harwich with. We are not going to Dover, but noticed they did offer that service. I will try adding the link again in case someone else can use it.

[url="http://www.londontown.com/transfer/transfer.phtml?1082543237"]http://www.londontown.com/transfer/transfer.phtml?1082543237[/url]

Rotterdam May 1989

Help Help!
Mel, I went to the National Express site and chose 2 1-way tickets from Victoria Station to Dover Pier and it was (total price) 36 POUNDS! What am I doing wrong? I want YOUR price of 5 pounds and some pence!

Thanks,
Carol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brahmama:
Mel, I went to the National Express site and chose 2 1-way tickets from Victoria Station to Dover Pier and it was (total price) 36 POUNDS! What am I doing wrong? I want YOUR price of 5 pounds and some pence!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Try this:-<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>On the front page, enter London Victoria and Dover as the start and finish. Enter the date, and select Single.<LI>On the next page, verify the start and finish points and the date.<LI>On the next page, click the radio button next to the time that you want, select the number of over-60 passengers next to "routesixty".<LI>The next page should return a "Concessionary Economy Single" fare of £5.25 (without insurance).[/list]Is that working for you now?

My TA told me today that we would get a transfer voucher from Victoria Station to Dover when the cruise docs arrive .

We are going over 2 days early and will be staying 1 block from Victoria Station . Does anyone know what bus line Celebrity uses ? Will the bus be a charter or public bus ?

Constellation [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;17;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

NOPE, I tried it again, except that I put as the destination "Dover Cruise Dock". Maybe that's the rub. I'll try it again, putting the bus station.
I don't think I'd want to pay 26 pounds extra for the journey down to the dock. However (thinking...) we'd have to get a taxi from the bus station at Dover. Anyway, I'll try it again.

This is what I turned up.

Strange, eh?

[url="http://www.nationalexpress.com/enq/enq.cfm?Step=4&PromoCode=&PromoType="]http://www.nationalexpress.com/enq/enq.cfm?Step=4&PromoCode=&PromoType=[/url]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brahmama:
NOPE, I tried it again, except that I put as the destination "Dover Cruise Dock". Maybe that's the rub. I'll try it again, putting the bus station.
I don't think I'd want to pay 26 pounds extra for the journey down to the dock. However (thinking...) we'd have to get a taxi from the bus station at Dover. Anyway, I'll try it again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is odd. The only thing I'm wondering is whether you managed to get a coach that goes direct to the cruise ship terminal - the only days that I've (randomly) priced are days when the only services offered are to the main bus station in Dover.

If they're running special services on cruise ship days, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if those were priced to rip you off. I can't believe that a taxi from the centre of Dover to the cruise ship terminal would cost as much as £10 - maybe only half that.

Taxi prices in England are enough to shock anyone. That is the reason we booked though Londontown and got a hotel to pier and back to hotel transfer. It was just a couple pounds cheaper going (in our case) through I believe Waterloo and changing trains three times. Royal Caribbean does not offer transfers from Victoria Coach like they did 4 years ago. Then it transfer cost was $120 and our taxi from our hotel in Westmister to Victoria Coach was over 12 pounds. We could have walked it in 15 minutes, but with the hassle of luggage, we decided on a taxi.

Rotterdam May 1989

Ok, I think I see the difference.

The National Bus from Victoria Coach Station to Dover Centre Bus Terminal runs very frequently and will cost you (if you are 60+) 5 and 1/2 pounds (approx.) Time of transfer - about 2 hours and 25 minutes.

If you take the national Bus from Victoria Coach station to the Cruise Terminal in Dover it will cost you 18 pounds (if you are 60+) Time of transfer - about 2 hours.
AND (BIG AND) there is only one scheduled daily. In our case in August, it leaves at 1300 and arrives Dover 1500.

Now, I have another question! Those big black London taxicabs - will they hold 4 passengers with moderate luggage? (1 med roll and 1 carry on per passenger)

Regarding National Express Bus from Victoria Station to Dover:
One Way Over Age 60 - 5.25lb
Round Trip Over 60 - l4.50lb

Doesn't really make sense that it would be more for round trip. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

One Way Adult Under 60 Adult - 10.50lb
Round Trip Under 60 Adult -18.00lb

Now "that" makes more sense.

Sharon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nny92825100:
Taxi prices in England are enough to shock anyone. ... our taxi from our hotel in Westmister to Victoria Coach was over 12 pounds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>To be fair, I think that it's really only London taxi prices that would seem high. Fares in other cities and towns in the UK are much more moderate than London - which is, after all, a big city charging big city prices comparable to those charged in most other big cities around the world. For that, you also get taxi drivers who cannot be bettered anywhere. Still, £12 seems like a lot of money for a trip from Westminster to Victoria coach station - did you get stuck in a traffic jam? They can be very expensive.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brahmama:
Now, I have another question! Those big black London taxicabs - will they hold 4 passengers with moderate luggage? (1 med roll and 1 carry on per passenger)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It will be a tight squeeze, but I think it can be done. You can probably stick a couple of the roll-ons in the front with the driver, and one in the boot (trunk). One can go with you inside the passenger compartment and if you can bear having your carry-ons around your feet or on your knees, it should be OK.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ready set go:
Regarding National Express Bus from Victoria Station to Dover:
One Way Over Age 60 - 5.25lb
Round Trip Over 60 - l4.50lb

Doesn't really make sense that it would be more for round trip. Any feedback on that would be appreciated.

One Way Adult Under 60 Adult - 10.50lb
Round Trip Under 60 Adult -18.00lb

Now "that" makes more sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think the £5.25 fare is not valid on Fridays. It looks like a return ticket, avoiding Fridays, is £9. But if you have to travel on a Friday, then it's £8.50 single, £14.50 return.

• 2 years later...
A question for Bev....

Did you tip Denise...of Tours of the Realm?
She is the owner of the business.

Just curious.
I thought we tipped differently (or not at all) when we were dealing with the owner.

Thanks !

PS. I know this is a very old thread !
It has officially been revived ! :D

Archived