How do Photographers get paid?

RJ7591

Many years ago I made a quid with a camera and looked at working on a cruise but in all honesty it just didn't add up, you had a daily quota of photo's to take and if you exceeded that you got X amount per shot [say 50 cents each] then you got money based on sales and that was linked to the % of shots you sold ie if you solf 50% you got a certain amount per sale [say $2] but if you sold 75% you got a higher amount [say $3] per photo [i don't remember the actual figures or percentages].

But then as you weren't employed by the cruise line you had to pay for your cabin, it was actually possible to lose money on the deal.

On my last cruise on the Breeze, I spoke at length with a couple of the photographers. They do, in fact get an "incentive" to take as many pictures as possible. And, they do all work in the photo store, as well as the development and printing department. Upon finding this out, I gladly took the time to pose for several pictures that I knew that I would never buy... It was win-win as far as I was concerned. Took very little of my time, and helped out some very hard working, low paid employees... And, if you notice, that over the course of the cruise, each photographer works a different "background" and in a different location every night...