Panamal Canal advice

CanadaRob

Looking to book a Panama Canal cruise next year. NCL has all of theirs up into Mar 2017, a lot of their itineraries are round trip to Miami, RCI have way more going between LA and Fla. these are typically longer and work better for me being in western Canada because I finish closer to home.

With the extra 3 or 4 days at sea the cost goes up and I'm still waiting for Royals dates.

NCL has the beverage deal going on now, not a true Loyal Royal so I guess I need some feedback on 10vs15 day and is it worth spending the extra, obviously know it's purely subjective from anyone who has done any of these?

thanks

I'm guessing that NCL isn't a full transit; in that case and IMHO YES definitely the full transit is worth it. I've done both (w/ Celebrity full transit and Princess a turn around partial transit.)

It isn't even so much the ports and extra sea days but doing the full transit was awesome.

Looking to book a Panama Canal cruise next year. NCL has all of theirs up into Mar 2017, a lot of their itineraries are round trip to Miami, RCI have way more going between LA and Fla. these are typically longer and work better for me being in western Canada because I finish closer to home.

With the extra 3 or 4 days at sea the cost goes up and I'm still waiting for Royals dates.

NCL has the beverage deal going on now, not a true Loyal Royal so I guess I need some feedback on 10vs15 day and is it worth spending the extra, obviously know it's purely subjective from anyone who has done any of these?

thanks

I did a full Panama passage from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego and being able to travel the entire length of canal was fantastic.

Not familiar with the Royal or NCL ships that do the full passage, but the one we were on had a lounge with large windows (above the bridge) - when we wanted to go inside for a "sit-down," we were comfortable yet could still see everything.

Enjoy - whichever you choose.

We did a full transit on Royal. It was a fabulous itinerary, starting in FL, but ending up in Chili. So, we saw lots of South America, which was great! The full transit was really, really cool. I thought I would be bored, but they hired a historian (or some expert) to give info over the loudspeaker system throughout the passage. Of course, the full transit likely costs the cruise line more, so it will be a more expensive trip. Worth it IMO.

we booked another full transit on X in 2016. Different ports, seeing some more of Caribbean and Mexico, ending in San Diego. It has 7 sea days.

I think you need to decide (1) full transit or not and (2) do you like sea days? We love sea days. We have done 3 TAs and one TP from Hawaii to Mexico. Love, love sea days. Hanging at the pool, relaxing reading a book, napping, getting ready for dinner early and having cocktails, experiencing activities..... If you like sea days, then that should help make up your mind. Good luck and have fun! :D

We did a full transit on Royal. It was a fabulous itinerary, starting in FL, but ending up in Chili.

Was that an Xpedition cruise? I don't recall one of their regular ship itineraries that ended in Chile....if there is one I will keep a watch out for it! :)

Was that an Xpedition cruise? I don't recall one of their regular ship itineraries that ended in Chile....if there is one I will keep a watch out for it! :)

Nope, it was Radiance. Not sure they have that itinerary now. We were lucky to do it. I think it may have been considered repositioning from Caribbean cruises to South America around the horn. It was an awesome itinerary that I hope they bring back. We did a few Caribbean stops, then Colombia, Panama, Peru, Ecuador and Chile. Awesome.

We're doing our second full transit on the Legend in April. (San Diego to Fort Lauderdale) It's a great trip & if you enjoy sea days, you'll love it! The first time we were in an OV & spent a lot of time on our feet so we could get a good look at things. This time we're in a balcony & although we'll still spend plenty of time on deck, when we get tired we can sit on our balcony and still have a good view of things.

My suggestion would be to book early & if the budget allows, get a balcony. (I'm told the aft balconies are the best for the transit but I have seasick issues so need to be midship) We booked when the itinerary first came out & watched the rates almost double. They did drop after final payment but that lasted only a day. Right now the same cabin category is $1500 pp higher than what we paid.

We are booked on the Oct 10 of this year Jewel, LA to San Juan full transit. The itinerary is fantastic. I love the mx of port days and sea days. We preferred the ports on the EB transit this year to the WB transit. We booked while on the Jewel last May and the aft cabns were already gone, so we are on the port side, midship. Prices have gone up dramatically since then so YES, I would book the day that the itineraries are released. I would guess they would be released when the Alaska sailings come out on March 16?

I am booked on the Crown Princess for next year in May for a Pacific Coastal, but am also watching for the new release. If the RCI prices/itinerary are similar I will switch back to RCI. I am also interested in Europe, so March 16 is the date I am anticipating with great hope.:cool:

We are booked on the Oct 10 of this year Jewel, LA to San Juan full transit. The itinerary is fantastic. I love the mx of port days and sea days. We preferred the ports on the EB transit this year to the WB transit. We booked while on the Jewel last May and the aft cabns were already gone, so we are on the port side, midship. Prices have gone up dramatically since then so YES, I would book the day that the itineraries are released. I would guess they would be released when the Alaska sailings come out on March 16?

I am booked on the Crown Princess for next year in May for a Pacific Coastal, but am also watching for the new release. If the RCI prices/itinerary are similar I will switch back to RCI. I am also interested in Europe, so March 16 is the date I am anticipating with great hope.:cool:

March 16th pencilled in