Hotel Recommendation/Fort Lauderdale

Snookum

I prebooked through the Embassy Suite itself.

Cruise for 11 days on SOS... need parking for total of 12.

For five of us they charged $300.00 but the parking was included for the whole duration and got in in writing

Free cooked to order breakfast, reception drinks and taxi is only $15. they do offer shuttle for the first two but $8.00 for each additional.

Stayed there several times.. close to everything (walking)

Car was always safe there.

Cathy

BTW, Embassy Suites not on the beach. We stayed there our first cruise but it did not have a good view (at least our room). If you have children and need separate rooms the Embassy Suites is probably a good choice. We prefer more of a resort feel to get the vacation started. The Hyatt Pier 66 has lovely grounds and pools. The Hilton Marina (not on the beach, but the canal) has lovely views as well. Lots of good choices, enjoy your stay and cruise.

I am looking at 3 choices and would appreciate any opinions. How would you rate each?

Embassy Suites 17th Street

Gallery One

Hyatt Place 17th Street

Price is not that big of an issue. I thought I heard that the Embassy Suites is next door to a shopping mall?

Are any of these hotels close to restaurants (short walk) ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at staying beginning of September for just 1 night.

We are flying in the day before the cruise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am looking at 3 choices and would appreciate any opinions. How would you rate each?

Gallery One

Hyatt Place 17th Street

Price is not that big of an issue. I thought I heard that the Embassy Suites is next door to a shopping mall?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at staying beginning of September for just 1 night.

We are flying in the day before the cruise.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I can only speak for the Embassy Suites. We stay there every time when cruising out of FLL. There is a mall and plenty of retail stores within walking distance. Same for a wide variety of restaurants. No need for a car especially if you are there one night.

Paul

Thanks so much!! I think I will go ahead and book ES.

I currently have a reservation with Hyatt Place - 17th street, which I think I will cancel.

The more I read, the more I think ES will be the better fit for hubby and I.

Paul, can you tell me if they allow early checkin?

Thank you for your information!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I just can't justify the extra cost of the beach front places. We booked the ES which I think will be great based on the feedback. The pool looks great which will make the kids happy!!

Thank you!!

Thanks so much!! I think I will go ahead and book ES.

I currently have a reservation with Hyatt Place - 17th street, which I think I will cancel.

The more I read, the more I think ES will be the better fit for hubby and I.

Paul, can you tell me if they allow early checkin?

Thank you for your information!

It depends on the day of the week. If you are lucky you might be able to check in at noon. Even if you cannot there is a secure room you can leave your luggage and go out for a few hours while your room is being made up.

Paul

Edited by pjo

It depends on the day of the week. If you are lucky you might be able to check in at noon. Even if you cannot there is a secure room you can leave your luggage and go out for a few hours while your room is being made up.

Paul

I've never had good luck with the ES early check-in, earliest I have been able to get in is 2:30. That being said, they are polite and will store your bags in a locked room till your suite is available. Last year we came in around 9:00 am on a red eye from the West coast, they stored our bags and told us to go get coffee and breakfast in the atrium, which we did. We walked around the shopping area and got a massage at a little place in the shopping area behind the hotel. When we returned they had moved our bags to our room for us (about 3:00pm). The reception is nice and you have hor devoirs and access to the full bar, all well bottles but free is free.

Gallery One

Hyatt Place 17th Street

There is no shopping mall by Embassy Suites. There is the Harbor Shops which is grocery store, a Total wine and a few decent spots to eat. So don't think it's a clothing mall.

The Hyatt Place is very nearby the Embassy Suites. Runs much less costly, has breakfast as well as free shuttle from the airport. Large rooms.

Gallery One is near the big Galleria Mall shopping. It is basically condo type rooms there, is only 3 or so blocks to the beach and has its own water taxi stop right on the intracoastal.

All 3 are in easy walking distance to a variety of restaurants.

Edited by eandj

There is no shopping mall by Embassy Suites. There is the Harbor Shops which is grocery store, a Total wine and a few decent spots to eat. So don't think it's a clothing mall.

The Harbor Shops is a strip shopping center (but a nice one) that includes a recently opened TJ Maxx in addition to Total Wine and Publix (the biggest stores). Check their website for a listing of all stores: http://www.theharborshops.com/.

Edited by capriccio

The Harbor Shops is a strip shopping center (but a nice one) that includes a recently opened TJ Maxx in addition to Total Wine and Publix (the biggest stores). Check their website for a listing of all stores: http://www.theharborshops.com/.

Yes, my point was not to confuse the strip mall type like Harbor Shops as opposed to Galleria near her other choice of hotel. Just wanted to clarify it for that poster so she wouldn't be disappointed.;)

The Max must be pretty recent. Hmmmm... an interesting fit for that center.

Last November I stayed one night pre cruise at Extended stay 17th street. For the excellent price I paid, it was adequate, but I did have an issue with a toilet that would not flush at 3am. I will say that the staff (only one) on duty at that time did do what they could, but I was in effect without a working toilet in my room from 3am till 7am when the maintenance man came. I did really like the room though, and the price for the area was excellent, and staff were exceptional. However, given these problems would not likely book there again, well maybe depending on what other places are available and price. I will also say, that given these problems, the manager did comp my stay for the night which made things alright. I did know also going in that the breakfast is minimal, just a granola bar, yogurt and a muffin, coffee, and that was fine with me, as I am not a big eater in the early morning.

After my cruise I spent a night at Hyatt Place 17th st, and loved it!!! Huge, well equipped room, again superb staff. I highly recommend this hotel, if you get a fair price. I would go back again next time I cruise out of there. Breakfast was not bad, but seating area limited, I just took my plate of food and coffee back upstairs to my room.

My experience with Hol Inn Express, was 5 years ago, and not good at all. But just too long ago, to be relevant to today, but I would not go back there again either based on my previous experience.

Edited by SMSACE6