Tampa to FLL- in one day. Realistic?

pinkie1

Next January 2016 we're going on a 5 night out of Tampa. My husband wants to extend the trip since we're flying all the way out from CA. I saw a great deal on a 4 nighter out of FLL.

Does this sound crazy to get off the ship out of Tampa, rent a car and drive to FLL to catch another cruise on the same day? We could fly but want to keep the costs as low as possible.

My research says that it'll take 4.25 hours to drive from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. Plus extra I'm sure getting the car and dropping it off, etc.

We just did the drive from FLL to Tampa after our cruise January 2015. Yes, it does take about 4- 5 hours. We did not take toll roads as we had a rental car and didn't want the hassel of tolls. If you took the toll roads, you might shave a little off the time but I don't think much.

I have driven from Oldsmar to Hollywood starting at around noon on a sunday.

Oldsmar is on the north side of old Tampa Bay.

Hollywood Is where most of Port Everglades is Located.

Enough of the geography lesson.

The trip was for a Ice Hockey tournament, just to let you know I don't live in 'Old'smar.

85 MPH is the new 70 mph. 3.75 hours, non stop, door to door.

I hope this helps you.

Flying will take gust as long or longer.

One of many reasons to invest in good trip insurance! :eek:

When we sailed out of Tampa in late Feb in 2014 we didn't even board till after 8. Previous cruise didn't get off till almost 6. Lots of missed flights that day.

Edited by cruiserssandr

I’d been watching the ships sail in and out of the port of Tampa for a while (getting in the mood you see) and I’d never seen fog until this week. It’s still really thick right now, we can’t make out any of the buildings.

Here’s my question for the locals, we sail out of Tampa April 19, is fog still a problem in April?

One of many reasons to invest in good trip insurance! :eek:

Sorry, but trip insurance will not solve the problem. If you miss the boat, you miss the boat.

Sadly, many folks buy insurance with the thought that it will help them to NOT miss the boat.

All the insurance in the world will not get the boat to turn around and come back.

Sorry, but trip insurance will not solve the problem. If you miss the boat, you miss the boat.

Sadly, many folks buy insurance with the thought that it will help them to NOT miss the boat.

All the insurance in the world will not get the boat to turn around and come back.

I think the point is that the insurance will at least compensate you for a missed cruise or compensate you for airfare to catch you up to the boat.

As others have said, unless you have a fog delay, this could be easily done. I live a few minutes from Port of Tampa and TIA and we are driving down to Port Everglades next Saturday morning to board the Allure in the afternoon. It will only take about 4 hours.

However, I would be a little nervous about the fog. It seems the worst fog month is usually February (but we have cruised out of Tampa in Feb before with no problems at all!) so I think you would be ok in January but you never know…

Good luck :)

When we sailed out of Tampa in late Feb in 2014 we didn't even board till after 8. Previous cruise didn't get off till almost 6. Lots of missed flights that day.

I should have said 2013 and that in 2012 there was no problem at all. February does seem to be the worst time for fog. The time we were delayed was much later than I think usually happens.

I’d been watching the ships sail in and out of the port of Tampa for a while (getting in the mood you see) and I’d never seen fog until this week. It’s still really thick right now, we can’t make out any of the buildings.

Here’s my question for the locals, we sail out of Tampa April 19, is fog still a problem in April?

I live in Tampa, and have sailed out of Tampa 2 times in April (2010 & 2011). There were no delays for either.

In regards to the OPs original question regarding the drive between ports, it is possible. However, neither weather or traffic can be predicted with 100% accuracy. A bad traffic accident on one of the major roadways between the 2 ports, or some freak weather event, could cause a complete disruption in timelines.

If you are someone who can "go with the flow", or adjust to events that are out of your control without much stressing, then absolutely do it. But the trip protection insurance would be highly recommended. Just in case. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

My other suggestion would be to see if a similar cruise is available in Port Canaveral as the drive time between Tampa and Port Canaveral is less.

I would suggest that you find another cruise out of FLL or MIA that works with the one that you found. Or just book one longer cruise from south FL.

Yes, we can have fog here from Dec - Feb and that is a consideration when sailing in January and the weather is often very "cool" here in winter. So, just making things easier on yourself is worth a lot when you're on vacation. There are so many great options out of south FL and the itineraries are just better in my opinion. You are traveling a long way and combining short cruises and driving distance probably isn't the best option for you.