Which Ship for a Five Year-Old

We (DH and granddaughter) recently came off the Carnival Sunshine. It was our first experience with Carnival and, while we had a good time, we weren't overly impressed with the Sunshine and probably wouldn't cruise Carnival again.

Our granddaughter loved dressing up for the Main Dining Room (favourite food: frogs legs), being on the balcony for sun rise and docking, swimming, and the hot tub. She was terrified of the 2.0 upgrade waterslides and rope climbing and only went to Camp Carnival twice, requesting they call us to pick her up the second night. She's usually pretty social, but either didn't care for Camp Carnival or really wanted to spend time with Grandma and Papa.

Given that she'll be a year older (5) for our next cruise, we're hoping that she'll be more into the waterpark idea. I dunno.

I'm curious to hear from other grandparents and parents about which ships they preferred for their younger roommates and why. Can you help? :-)

Our son turned 5 the day we went on the Freedom and LOVED it. The splash area is huge and includes hot tubs that aren't as hot as the ones by the main pool. There are tons of things for kids and adults to do.

Thanks Dawg! *scooting over to the Freedom ship stats to check it out*

Have you considered a Cruise aboard a Disney Ship? We've been on with our kids and would go back with the kids for sure if they were cruising with us.

That'd be our first choice, but - understandably - our kids want to cruise Disney with her and they won't be along for this cruise (it's better that way, our rules are much different than theirs *smiles*). So Disney's off the table for us. *sniffle, sniffle*

We'll be on the Oasis in June with our almost 7 year old grandson. Based upon the experience of all of you with a similarly aged child, should this be a good ship for him? BTW, he's NOT especially adventuresome so I know the flowrider and the rock climbing are out! While on the Disney Dream last year he loved the Aquaduck slide, but other than that we figured he was ready for something more.

Oasis class. Their kids club is amazing, has a theater for them and shows. carousel, mini golf, great h2o zone. Dream works parade. Ice skating and ice skating show. It's adventure ocean and the size of it that is impresive. Kids usually prefer that club over the one in Disney.

Freedom class or oasis class would be as close to Disney as you could get. The dream works characters give parades, etc. ice shows.

If price was no object I would pick oasis class because of the addition of the water shows and carasoul. It has been 2 years but if they still do it, they do a special dream works watershow and train your dragon ice show our son loved in addition to all the other stuff. They also do the belly flop contest on allure in the water show area which DS loved.

My son has never warmed up to kids club (DIsney or Royal) so we are thinking they just aren't his thing. But he loves a game of shuffleboard!

Edited by martikus

We have done both RCCL and Disney with a 5 year old. This March we are doing the Oasis with our 6 and 9 year old. Disney kids club is incredible, consistently! RCCL is hit or miss depending on staff, and if you have multiple children who may not be together because RCCL splits up kids age groups whereas Disney does not. Our kids are very excited for the cruise, but our 9 year old is acting hesitant, due to the fact she won't be with her brother. The big plus with RCCL is that they do take the kids out of the club on parades, to sports court and around the ship. On Disney they do not leave the club ever. I ultimately, you can't go wrong either way. My wife will only pick either Disney or RCCl unit kids get older. Ship wise for RCCL, I would say Freedon class, oasis class, or Quantum class.

We have yet to sail on Allure, and I'm hoping my kids love it! But in my opinion, Freedom is smaller and possibly less overwhelming. Our sons were 6 and 12 when we went and they loved it, and the kids/teen club.

I'm sure Oasis class would be a good choice too, but for the difference in price I do agree Freedom is great for kids. We've sailed twice on her, and shes gone through even more upgrades since then!

We have yet to sail on Allure, and I'm hoping my kids love it! But in my opinion, Freedom is smaller and possibly less overwhelming. Our sons were 6 and 12 when we went and they loved it, and the kids/teen club.

I'm sure Oasis class would be a good choice too, but for the difference in price I do agree Freedom is great for kids. We've sailed twice on her, and shes gone through even more upgrades since then!

I was going to post asking why Freedom over Oasis class, but maybe you've said it here??? We selected Allure for our kids (but I didn't look into Freedom in detail)