Never booking far in advance again.

stevex

Learned my lesson this time.

We're sailing on the Breakaway in March, and booked a year ago.

Today I can book the same cruise, same category on ncl.com for about $1200 less, and that includes the UBB, so about $2000 less.

I know it makes sense for NCL to lower prices and offer incentives to fill up the ship, but it sure punishes people for planning in advance. Shouldn't NCL be trying to encourage people to book in advance?

I'd be happier if they'd throw us a bone, like some discounted entertainment or bonus OBC or something, but I called in to ask and the answer was "no".

So, lesson learned, wait until a month before cruising to book.

Edited by stevex

And my cruise on the Sun in 3 weeks is going for almost DOUBLE what I paid.

Insides are $250 more than what I paid for a Oceanview GTY.

There is no set rule to follow -- sometimes booking early helps, sometimes not.

Book a price you are happy with - if you are happy with it at a year out, do so.

If you are not and want to gamble, wait.

Same thing happened to me for Breakaway in March. Unless you want a specific cabin with limited availability (i.e. Garden Villa or specific location), it seems best to wait. It will be interesting to see differences with so many people having UBP and UDP - but no increase in staff/crew. Still very nice to have a cruise coming up....

It really depends on your priorities and time of year.

Wait until a month before a Christmas cruise or a cruise in the Summer and see what happens with the prices.

We book early because we want a specific area of the ship, we want midship center, I can probably save some cash and wait but I may be stuck with an aft or forward cabin under the buffet or disco, this is not what we want.

So if you don't care about location and are cruising off peak times wait

I totally understand your position but if you look at different scenarios, it is WILDLY different. Our 19 night panama canal cruise in April had lot of availability one day AFTER the final payment was due. Then, NCL slashed the prices quickly filling up the ship. It is now about 50 days away and only Haven like cabins are available. Anyone who had booked was offered a free upgrade ONLY if you called, so there are lots of folks out there unaware that this policy was happening.

I had a friend traveling with us who wanted to look into a paid upgrade after his snowbirding in FL. If he had waited, he would have called to find no cabins available, but I contacted him and he pounced on the free offer and got a nice upgrade- midship balcony assigned.

I have never seen anything as wild with deep discounts plus the UDP or UBP offered on top. If I waited until 4 days after the payment was due, I could have had a cheaper fare plus UDP but if I waited 6 days, I'd be totally out of luck.

Here's what I learned: check the fares every day and get on your roll call for the sailing you want. That is where we found out about the great offer.

Today I can book the same cruise, same category on ncl.com for about $1200 less, and that includes the UBB, so about $2000 less.

I know it makes sense for NCL to lower prices and offer incentives to fill up the ship, but it sure punishes people for planning in advance. Shouldn't NCL be trying to encourage people to book in advance?

I'd be happier if they'd throw us a bone, like some discounted entertainment or bonus OBC or something, but I called in to ask and the answer was "no".

NCL said I could rebook my cruise and get one of the UBP or UDP and unless you have a huge suite you can upgrade your room. I would call and find out.

I wonder how much of it is at the discretion of your cruise consultant.

I haven't been impressed with mine. I've been through three - the last two moved to different positions apparently - and the guy I've got now doesn't answer my emails, and is the one who said, basically, "tough luck" when I called to ask about any sort of concession for the huge price drop.

It's always good to reprice your cruise right before you make your final payment. This promo began on December 16. That should have been before your final payment. You could have received the ubp at that time.

Well, sure, but you can't act like NCL has no control here.

NCL offers upgrades and incentives all the time. It wouldn't cost them much to do *something* for people who paid significantly more than the going rate, to help make them feel less like they were taken advantage of.

NCL doesn't have to do this, but it would be good customer service. Retail stores have price protection and flexible return policies for a reason, and it's not because they like giving money away.

Well, sure, but you can't act like NCL has no control here.

NCL offers upgrades and incentives all the time. It wouldn't cost them much to do *something* for people who paid significantly more than the going rate, to help make them feel less like they were taken advantage of.

NCL doesn't have to do this, but it would be good customer service. Retail stores have price protection and flexible return policies for a reason, and it's not because they like giving money away.

They do -- you can reprice your cruise anytime from booked until final payment date.

So if you booked 1 year ahead, you have 9 months where you can price shop and compare.

Although I agree with the OP, unless you don't care where you are on the ship and want to take an itinerary with multiple sail dates it is risky to wait till after final payment. I waited once and the upgrade fairy saved me from a cabin I really didn't want. On another occasion I was able to use the price drop to get a better cabin.

Depends on cruise, date and ship for sure. But I have watched the Breakaway pricing regularly for past 16 mths or so and, unless it is a major holiday sailing, prices have dropped substantially on that ship a month or so before each sailing. So, if you are local in the NY area, early booking on the BA typically doesn't pay off.

I wonder how much of it is at the discretion of your cruise consultant.

I haven't been impressed with mine. I've been through three - the last two moved to different positions apparently - and the guy I've got now doesn't answer my emails, and is the one who said, basically, "tough luck" when I called to ask about any sort of concession for the huge price drop.

Since we have no idea what ship or date or category you currently have booked it's a little difficult to give advice but you lose nothing by calling the main NCL number and trying again. When you call remember that since you are past final payment date NCL does not have to do anything. Sometimes they will give a portion of the price difference as OBC, sometimes not.

Is higher category available that you would like for what you paid for your current stateroom? Example - you paid for category bd balcony and spa balcony is now same price or less . . . ask if you can move. If first person you talk to you can't help ask to speak to a supervisor.

The prices can go either way, Here is my history. Just shy of a $2000 difference from when I booked it. Yes I will not get the attached promos but for that difference it would be cheaper to buy the promos myself anyway.

Paid $ 3,499 2014‑04‑02 2014‑07‑14

Now $ 4,479 2015‑02‑26 2015‑02‑26

We also learned our lesson last year. After final payment, they had the kids sale free so the price drop was about $500. This was for a Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. :(

I'm a planner, I just can't wait for last minute cruises specially if we have to look airfare.

But, we're from NJ so from now on, we won't book early on the Breakaway (or any other cruise from NYC, NJ or Boston) again. We would wait closer to the sail date.

Edited by aquarianne11

I am booked 23 months out for a cruise on the Dawn. If it had not been for friends we met last Norwegian cruise e-mailing me, I would have missed out on this great promotion. After I booked a balcony, I realized for only a couple hundred more I could upgrade to a Family Suite (no balcony) and get all 3 options of the promotion. Basically for $150 more per person I have over $1000 in bonuses plus the perks of a suite.

Every early booking has the chance of being under-priced later on, but I think I hit the jackpot on this one. I am a happy cruiser.

Benefits of early booking are few:

Locking in price of cruise.

Selection of prime location cabins especially suites and the deluxe balcony cabins (Mini-suites).

Additional Latitudes Reward Points (booking more than 9 months ahead) does not mean much when you reach Platinum.

Chance to ride the roller coaster of price fluctuations - not so much for suites and havens.

Option to take advantage of promos if changing the booking PRIOR to the 90 day final payment - caution for hassles and restrictions.

And lastly the down payment tied up and not earning any interest.

Benefits of early booking are few:

Locking in price of cruise.

Selection of prime location cabins especially suites and the deluxe balcony cabins (Mini-suites).

Additional Latitudes Reward Points (booking more than 9 months ahead) does not mean much when you reach Platinum.

Chance to ride the roller coaster of price fluctuations - not so much for suites and havens.

Option to take advantage of promos if changing the booking PRIOR to the 90 day final payment - caution for hassles and restrictions.

And lastly the down payment tied up and not earning any interest.

You forgot .. 12 months of anticipation for a booked cruise. Saying that you'll take a cruise next March isn't the same as having a cruise booked. Silly I know. :)

As others have said, there is no way of knowing if or when that happens.

For us only time we have been bitten bad with price drops (usually I've been able to take advantage of all by upgrading to better cabins) was our upcoming cruise - which had almost sold out for most suites several months before final payment. The 1st and 2nd passenger price for our suite dropped over 50% before they finally sold out - had I been watching the price after the final payment, we (four pax) would have saved over $2000 and gotten UDP + UBP + $300 more OBC even if we would have had to pay the pentalty (deposit) for cancelling between 75 and 56 days before the cruise.

You win some, you lose some.

Edited by Demonyte

We live 10 hours from Port Canaveral or NOLA, 15 hours from Miami and Texas, and can only fly to NY/Boston for cruises from the northeast. With that being said, we booked a Christmas/New Years cruise 30 hours before sailing and drove 15 hours to Miami to get our 11 day cruise. We had a blast, and literally figured out things to do on our drive to Miami. However, unless you are willing to not go at all, depending on embarkation port and cruise length you may need to book in advance.

Our next majorly planned cruise will be to Europe, and we will book that in advance to try to get decent airfare. Now that DH and I are both platinum, we will probably look for cheaper cruises that we know we can drive to, even if that drive is a little tiring. Our trip in a few weeks has actually risen in price now that we are booked (we only booked about 5 weeks ago). We got a good price, not great cabin location, but plan to have a great time anyway. DH and I feel blessed that we are in a place that we can be impulsive when we want to be and still plan for "major trips". One factor for us is that we have remained loyal now to NCL, so our perks (laundry/free dinners) help with making even impromptu trips special! :)