Asking for any feedback

radtech

My husband and I were booked to cruise on the NCL Sky on 2/23 as a promotion that was going on back in September when we went on the Getaway. (It was a BOGO). This was the last week we could take this cruise and it was going to be a very special cruise as my husband just recently had a kidney transplant and we knew he would not have to go for any dialysis treatments in Nassau as in the pass. My mom became ill this past Saturday and was admitted into the hospital so we had to cancel or at least ask NCL to postpone. They told us since their system would not take the BOGO coupon there was nothing they could do. I feel that was a poor excuse as I told them we would be willing to take this 4 day whenever they could give to us but they felt no sympathy. For such a big cruise line I thought they would be able to make some exception especially since I also offered to send in proof of documentation. We have been on 30 something cruises on multiple cruise lines but so far NCL has left a poor taste in my mouth. Just checking to see if anyone has any feedback. Appreciate the help.

Rad tech

First of all, sorry for your circumstances. However, this comes up a lot, and I think you are out of luck. This is one of the reasons for trip insurance, because after final payment, you can't even move your cruise dates. It's a total loss.

I used to never purchase trip insurance for cruises, because we drive to the pier, but I also never realized (until CC) that if you need to reschedule or cancel, after a certain point in time, you can't move your dates or get any kind of refund (yep, never read my cruise contract - my bad).

Sometimes it's job loss, sometimes injury or illness, sometimes death, sometimes natural disaster (there were folks who had to cancel, due to loss of their home from a hurricane). If NCL grants an exception for one, they really have to grant an exception for all.

BTW, I believe this is standard in the industry.

How disappointed you must be. I'm sorry for all the stress going on in your life. FWIW, many cruiselines have done the same thing in similar situations. And sometimes they pull a good PR move and "make it right." It's not just an NCL thing.

I wonder if this is something cruise insurance would've covered, given the cruise was technically "free"? Did you pay via credit card for the original cruise, or did you have other insurance? Check with your credit card to see if they have travel protection built in and if there's something they can do since you have the documentation. Ours would cover it, though I don't know if the BOGO situation would make it a $0 value.

It sounds like it was a bit of a gamble to wait for the last possible week to use the coupon and it's really unfortunate it didn't pan out.

Edited by weltek

Thanks for the feedback. We did take travel insurance and we are receiving our port fees back but just wanted NCL to still honor our BOGO it sounds confusing but we needed this celebration 4 day cruise badly.:(

Radtech

Thanks for the feedback. We did take travel insurance and we are receiving our port fees back but just wanted NCL to still honor our BOGO it sounds confusing but we needed this celebration 4 day cruise badly.:(

Radtech

I would suggest that you write a letter to:

Guest Relations

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Circle Drive

Miami, Florida 33126

Sorry for your situation but happy that your husband is well.

It seems that you canceled right before sailing. Clearly, according to your cruise contract, if you do that you forfeit everything that you have paid.

Since the BOGO no longer exists you can't get it back.

As much as it hurts NCL only did what their contracts say, and if they make one exception for you, then they would have to make an exception for everyone that has an issue and has to cancel a cruise.

As much as it hurts NCL only did what their contracts say, and if they make one exception for you, then they would have to make an exception for everyone that has an issue and has to cancel a cruise.

Exactly this. This is a matter between OP and the insurance company, if they won't reimburse OP for the cruise OP didn't actually pay for, OP is out of luck. It is not NCL's fault nor have they done anything wrong.

I know, it sucks but that is the way it is. :(

Radtech

I know you are disappointed that NCL wouldn't offer a replacement for an expired coupon. Why not just book another 4 day "much needed" cruise? From prices I've seen, Sky has about the cheapest rates there are, especially one not being over a weekend.

We don't know why she was admitted to the hospital, it could have been major or minor for what we know.

Thank you for the feedback. I did write into guest relations and hope they can make a reconsideration. If my mom was admitted for something minor we would have gone on this cruise and for trying to book a cruise on our own there are circumstances that will not allow us to do this that is why I am hoping NCL could honor the expired BOGO in their system if that is truly the only reason that they gave me.

Rad tech

Edited by radtech

The problem is the same as with any last minute cancellation:

NCL can't sell the cabin for the regular value on short notice, and that revenue is gone forever.

This is a "BOGO", but that does not change things from a "total revenue" perspective.

You are wanting them now to give you a freebie on another cruise cabin that they could have sold.

If they did that, they'd be out the revenue for *2* cabins, on 2 separate cruises.

Free cruises (or 'points travel') are tricky, because one can't really insure them without a 'receipt', unless there is some special way to do it...?

GeezerCouple